1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4 Most Capable Rockets Scorers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JasonDurbin32, Aug 6, 2003.

1. JasonDurbin32

JasonDurbin32 Member

What player is the most capable rockets player to score the most points per game? this is this year and not years down the road so this is my list as far as this year:

1.Steve Francis 30ppg
    If he wasnt a point guard he could put up 30 a night easy he is one of the top 15 scorers in the league and is a point guard.Just imagine if he didnt have to distribute the ball to everyone and be responsible for getting them all involved and could just focus on scoring and defense. he would be one of the all time greats because he has an excellant scorers mentality.
    2.Yao Ming 28-29ppg
    If yao ming got the ball 75-80 percent of the time he could average 28 a game without a problem. the fact the he likes to get his teamates involved just as much as scoring is the only reason he averaged 13 ppg last year otherwise he could have averaged 20 a game and would be at the top of my list.
    3. Cuttino Mobley 25ppg
    The only reason cuttino doesnt score 25 a night is because his shot selection is poor and he is a ballhog. he chunks up shots and doesnt even average half the assists as steve. if he took good shots he would make a lot more because he is one of our best shooters and if he passed the ball more then he would get it back more. no one wants to pass him the ball except (steve and yao) unless he is completely wide open. If he worked on his shot selection and passed the ball off a little more rather than jacking up shots, plus he is a great defender and could get easy points off of steals and that would make him a legit 25ppg scorer.
    3.Eddie Griffin 22ppg
    Griffin is capable of scoring a good 22 because he has the athletisism, size, talent and the only think he lacks is strength and fundamentals. both of those things can be taught unlike the rest. if griffin has worked on those two things we could be seeing a whole new power forward on our team. but who knows people have been waiting on him to develop for a couple of years now and we are still waiting, but he is capable of 22 a night if he really wanted it.

2. SLA

SLA Member

1. Steve Francis....he is our best scorer. He is our franchise. But man! Why doesn't he shoot more?!? First of all...he needs to play defense and shut down his man...Francis can easily score and could easily set people up. He's so talented! He did have some great games....needs to be more consistent and have consistent 22 points per game instead of 44 points one game and 4 points in another game.

2. Yao Ming.....he likes to get his teammates involved. The problem is his teammates don't know how to get involved! All they know is to stand and wait for him to get doubleteamed so they can shoot 3's. That is a great concept....but there should be even more movement and strategies and plays and passing....everything built around him! He can score...but is inconsistent as well. I hope he can score about 17 ppg next season.

3. Cuttino Mobley is a very capable scorer who can get by anyone and force his way to the basket. He is a good ballhandler and is kinda small....but is a lightning quick cat. He can shoot 3's. He can shoot inside jumpers. He is our 3rd best scorer. He should continue to score 20 points per game on less shots and more efficiency.....18 points per game sounds good on 47.5% shooting.

4. The only way Eddie Griffin is our 4th best shooter is if he makes a bunch of 3 pointers. But maybe Griffin can be taught by JVG and Patrick Ewing and the French guy Thibodeau and the other guys to shoot and make shots all the time. And he can learn the proper footwork like you said....and he needs to be more aggressive! More driving and offensive rebounding! 13ppg on 52% shooting sounds good.

5. Mo Taylor is a proven scorer who has like everyone says an unstoppable, automatic jump hook. He is a good guy to go to....great bench player. He can light it up any night.

I hope Francis can score 30 haha...Yao 28-29? haha...and Mobley 25...Griffin sure 22

#2 SLA, Aug 6, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There's no way Steve will score 30 ppg, and Cat won't score 25 ppg, unless Steve gets migraines, China recalls Yao for the whole season, the league institutes the old zone rules, and Rudy comes back to give Cat the darn ball every single play.

I have serious doubts about Yao Ming being a mid- 20 point scorer as well, but who knows, it's early.

Steve- 21
    Yao- 18
    Cat- 17
    Griff- 14

4. Olajumus Prime

yeah but wasnt the top 4 scorers on our team last year..

Francis
    Mobley
    Ming
    and .......

Posey....who we are about to let go to Grizzlies?????

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I really don';t know why we're letting posey go but I do however wonder if griffin will pick up the slack. he has the ability to do just that... i'm actually wondering once griff becomes a free agent will he bolt or stay if he is still not making the points he should be...

6. JasonDurbin32

JasonDurbin32 Member

all yall have good points:rolleyes:

7. jradMIT

jradMIT Contributing Member

Yao -28 pts (not this year but eventually)
    Franchise 26 pts
    Mobley 20 pts
    Mo Taylor 18pts (if he started)

8. Just B

Just B Member

I agree with just about everything you said there. As for why he doesn't shoot more (assuming you weren't being sarcastic!), is because he's just trying to shut his critics up. That's why towards the end of the year he stopped shooting so much and passed more.

As for out scorers, I'll say:

Steve Francis- 25 ppg
    Yao Ming- 18 ppg (I think Steve's always gonna be our #1 scorer)
    Cuttino Mobley- 15 ppg
    Mo Taylor- 12 ppg
    Eddie Griffin- 10 ppg (assuming we don't resign Posey)

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i assume this is almost like asking, if each player was the man on their own team, who would score the most. based on their current offensive talent levels, i would say our scorers rank like this:

1. francis
    2. cuttino
    3. yao
    4. mo t

francis is self explanatory.

cuttino can drive, shoot mid range and hit 3's. hell, he averaged 25 ppg for the 2nd half of 2 seasons ago, and that was on 47% FG!!!! that's unbelievable. give this guy 2 good ankles and he's unstoppable. JD32's assessment is so far off it's laughable.

yao still can't take it to over half of the league at this point. he may one day be very great at scoring, and on a given night, he is right now. but currently, he just doesn't possess the overall arsenal of the other two nor the consistency nor the stamina.

mo t. when his ankle finally started feeling better, we saw what an efficient scorer he can be (and was the last season he played). he has an above average shot, and developed an amazingly accurate hook shot.

10. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

The only reason this cant happen is becuz... There isnt enough shots for everyone... There is only 48 minutes.... Players get worn out... and sometimes they ran out power and they go into a shooting slump.... i dont think eddie griffin can average that many points yet simply to the fact that for some reason he shoots more three's than ever spending some time posting up... Like i said in another post... Eddie Griffin is going to be a great shot blocker... but he is only 2(blank)... just give the time some time and he will be great... Mobley cant score that many points basically becuz he needs his own team... Francis and Yao are the future of this team although it would be great if griffing and mobley would come along... although that probably won't happen... cuz Houston will make a stupid trade... Or a trade that's necessary... THERE IS MY TWO CENTS

11. Just B

Just B Member

Alright, I'm not trying to bash you, but could you please stop with the ".....'s" between every point? I'm just trying to ask you nicely before some of the crueler people come along and chew you up for it.:)

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Remember in December when Steve averaged 23ppg, Cat averaged 17.5 and Yao averaged 17.1? Rice was the fourth leading scorer, at 8.8ppg. During that month, we held opponents to 91ppg, though we only averaged 95ppg, and went just 8-7. At that rate, we'd be set to win... 43 games.

I wonder if there's any way they could sustain numbers like that for an entire season. It'd be interesting to see.

13. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

EHHHHHHH... I dont really care.... I gotten use to it... and if the crueler ppl chew me up i dont really care... Im comfortable... and thanks for the advice anyway.. Im alright though.... Sorry...

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If this is the case then Franchise wont be playing the Playmaker position and will rely upon another to pass him the ball rather than pass it to Yao Ming or Mobley. You could be right but i dont see a new playmaker neglecting Yao Ming now that JVG is the Coach. You also are not remembering that we have just scratched the surface with Yao Ming but Francis is an experienced NBA Player. As long as the Rox improve, thats all I want to see.

15. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Steve is too unselfish, nice, and concerned with winning to dominate the ball enough to score 30ppg - I'd love to see him do that though. Remember, he started off the last season on fire and was around top 3 for a while, then top 10 for a decent amount of time..

16. mikedane

mikedane Member

with van gundy coaching it should be steve, yao, moT, then cat.

17. negitoro

negitoro Member

My views are that if you can coax Francis and Yao to combine for 50-55 pts, you've already got a top caliber tandem. I really think some of you need to check your estimates... quite frankly, that the starting lineup would ever plausibly average 80-90 is absolutely ridiculous.

Quite frankly, I think Francis IS and WILL BE the leading scorer again next season. But is how much better than his 21ppg of last season ? Personally, rather than Francis score 25-30 pts a game, I'd rather him get the same 21ppg but on 45-46% FG. With Yao demanding attention down low, it's not implausible that Francis actually increases both his scoring and his FG% this season.

Yao Ming should be next in line and justifiably so. When you have a skilled center like Yao, you should try to run the offense through him. Especially with Van Gundy at the helm, I'm thinking this year Yao will get more chances and have an offense designed to taking advantage of him rather than having the guards fling it up. Yao should get AT LEAST a half dozen more shot attempts and jack up his scoring average to 18-20 ppg a game.

If Francis and Yao both up their scoring, I really think Mobley will take the brunt of it lowering his next season average to somewhere in the 12-14ppg range.

After that the next best scorer SHOULD be Taylor (after all, he did average 17ppg in Clipperland) but he doesn't really get the munutes to do it... so I still think Griffin is gonna be around at #4 contributing his 10ppg.

Taylor should be just under that with a solid 8 or 9 off the bench.

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

1. Francis - 21
    2. Yao -17
    3. Mobley -17
    4. Taylor - 13

I'm hoping Taylor is the starting power forward next season. Last year it took him a while to find his outside touch, but when he was on he was dangerous. I would love for him to average 15 points per game. Any chance of Van Gundy convincing him to go in the paint for some rebounds? It's a shame, because if Taylor was a more agressive rebounder and defender he'd easily be one of the top ten PFs in the league. Based on offensive skills he's probably top five.

19. Just B

Just B Member

I just don't think Yao's aggressive enough to keep up a high scoring average all season. The way I'd personally like to see the Steve/Yao offense go is how Kobe and Shaq are on the Lakers. Both score in the mid-20's, and whoever's hot that game takes over the #1 scoring option role.

I think it's just gonna hurt in the long run to have a specific #1 scoring option. Especially for a team as inconsistent as the Rockets. We should just go to whoever's feeling it that game and let them go off. And of course, if everyone is hot we'd have to play a solid team game. :cool:

20. SLA

SLA Member

Mr. Franchise should be able to have a lot of scoring opportunities using his athleticism to get himself open with Yao Ming passing to him! Yao Ming and Steve Francis can be a very exciting duo with many amazing plays.......Francis can even catch and shoot from passes by Yao and MoT. He can cut and drive and use pick and rolls....and ISOH. SIMPLE PLAYS.