1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On Sergio Llull, Josh Smith and the NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2015.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Wish that we can get Lowry sooner.

2. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Thanks fellas! Interesting note on Lawson & Harden. Somebody, think it was Codman, mentioned that Harden was lobbying for a guy that the team just wasn't feeling - assume it was Lawson. Puts at least a little pressure on Morey to make some sort of PG upgrade. If your star player requests Lawson, and you come back with a rookie, JET, and Bev...could create some issues.

I would think Morey's willing to part with #18/#32/TJ/Nick for Lawson, but sounds like he won't be negotiating much.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks, guys. Good listen. I agree we'll go take BPA. Tyus or Grant don't move the needle.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Lowry or Lawson pretty much puts us over the top.

5. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch and BimaThug !

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

I would be ecstatic if we were able to get Lowry.

Lawson? Well...that would be ok I guess.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Going for Justin Anderson at the 18th would be a bit high, but if he is the BPA, I would be happy if Morey picked him.

I like Grant more than Tyus. They probably won't move the needle, but I would chose Justin Anderson's size, quickness, defense and his improved shooting over them.

9. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Here is what I am hoping happens,

I hope that we trade the 18th pick overall either for a Ty Lawson or Brandon Jennings or package it with Terrence Jones and some other players if we have to for a Lamarcus Aldridge or Brandon Knight in a sign and trade. Another rumor I have heard is that we package Jones, the 18th pick and K-Pap for Rudy Gay and Darren Collison. I don't think the money works but it would be a good trade for us, I guess.

That being said if we do end up keeping the pick I say we go for a PG. If we are being honest with ourselves we have no one there at all. Barring Beverley coming back the only player that we have currently under contract is Pablo Prigioni. I am not comfortable enough with him running the PG going into next season. I am just not, so I am taking Tyus Jones, Jerian Grant, Cameron Payne.

If we do not go PG, then I agree with BimaThug, we should go get a SF, someone like Rondae Hollis Jefferson maybe or RJ Hunter if he is there. Again, the only SF we have on this roster currently is Ariza. Brewer is a FA and there is no guarantee that he re-signs with us.

I do want to see the Rockets bring in more shooters, like Lou Williams or JR Smith. I know that Smith sucked in the Finals and that he can be a bonehead at times but when that guy is on, he is fantastic. Some other guys we could bring in:
    Mo Williams
    Marco Belinelli (shooter)
    Dorell Wright (shooter)
    David West
    Ed Davis
    Iman Shumpert
    Reggie Jackson
    Thaddeus Young
    Danny Green
    Mirza Teletovic (shooter)

I really am hoping that the Rockets do bring back both Brewer and Smith but again there are not any guarantees. Here is to hoping that they both re-sign with us and then we can go add some more pieces to the roster.

10. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

Right, because Lowry would love to play for Mchale.

Don't even bring up the comment Lowry said about how he regrets his decision, it's pretty much PR-talk and stuff like that gets thrown out all the time.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Don't hate me if I'm wrong, but I think (emphasize think) that you and Bima are saying his name wrong. I think it's pronounced like the two letters U and E.

I'm basing that off of two interviews where they say his name in his presence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYCVfMgMB_U

12. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

enjoyed the listen, thanks as always

13. Raven

Raven Member

So should Morey draft a player who's NBA ready or draft a project with "potentially" higher upside?

14. cmccool

cmccool New Member

My thoughts exactly

1 person likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I have no time for anything, but I always make time to listen to this podcast. Great job guys, as always. Really does feel like this year's draft will see the rockets making a deal or two. We're contending and the draft doesn't really help get us closer to a title unless we move up or trade those picks.

16. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I too was tired of.looking at Curdles face. Thanks for changing the pic!

17. rocketseagles07

So he my met with Houston last year in free agency because.....

18. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Always a big fan of the podcast! Thanks Clutch, Bima, MK!

Quick question. Can someone give me a rundown on the quotes in the opening? I recognize Hakeem and Gene Peterson's "How sweet it is" but what about the others? Like "Shoutout to Clutchfans" and "Time to get on Clutchfans"?

19. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think 5 million Euros is a deal breaker when he is being offered 24 million US guaranteed, especially with the dollar being strong. Plus if he plays well in the NBA his next contract at 30 would far exceed anything he would get overseas.

Sergio could be traded, but it would have to be for a play at Lowry's level or higher. I also don't know how enthusiastic a rebuilding team would be with him already being 27. I suspect if he won't sign with the Rockets, he isn't going to sign with anyone and his value is muted. If he does sign with the Rockets he can be a 6th man even if the Rockets get Lowry. A trio of Llull, Lowry and Harden all on the floor together could be dangerous. Only way I see a signed Llull dealt is if another team insists on him.

McDaniels didn't cost us much. Canaan was garbage and a move to the Sixers only further exposed him. McDaniels is someone you keep if you can, but not at the expense of players that help you more over the next couple of years like Brewer and Smith.

20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

"Time to get on Clutchfans" is Panda Friend aka Metta World Peace aka Ron '96/QB' Artest

1 person likes this.