1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Controversy erupts after undocumented immigrant waves Mexican flag at graduation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jun 20, 2015.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

is it that easy to become a US citizen from an undocumented immigrant?

I mean it's not like the US government is just going to just hand her a passport after she turned 18 and filled out a form.

we don't know if she's been trying to do that

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You have to wait five years after getting a green card to become a citizen.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do we know if she has a green card
    If so . . .. sounds like she progressing . .. what's the rub?
    If not . .. Why does she not?

Broken Systems are the issue more than the people
    1. Fix the system
    2. Enforced the system

Rocket River

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Agreed. However, until the system is fixed, it should be expected that people:

1. Utilize the existing system.
    2. Abide by the existing system guidelines.

You can't just ignore laws that are put in place because you don't like them or they're inconvenient. We have an immigration process. It sucks, but it exists. Adhere to it.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

She can't get a green card through any legal process while remaining in the US. She's in limbo like many others.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Similar basic rationale used for supporting voter ID laws.

Laws are written for a reason. The Devil's in the details.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The Brits have the sensible rule that you have to be born to a citizen parent in order to get birthright citizenship, so no anchor babies.

8. BetterThanI

Apples and oranges.

Voter ID laws are an attempt to ADD unconstitutional obstructions to existing laws to solve a perceived problem that is statistically insignificant.

I'm talking about adhering to existing, constitutional laws to address a statistically significant problem until the system is revised through legal means.

Not even close to the same.

9. BetterThanI

Not really. If she can't remain in the US and obtain legal citizenship, she should leave. To do otherwise is an insult to the families who do it the correct, legal way. Families like mine.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Good for you. No one question the correct legal way. What is in question is the laws and its impact to people.

The insult you mention would be self created with no real harm done unless you turn that into anger and cause self inflected damages, which is always a possibility with anger.

Put a 2 years old into a country and ask that individual to leave that country after college graduation. That wouldn't be an insult to that individual, it would be cruel and real harm would be done to that person.

11. BetterThanI

So, victimless crimes aren't crimes? Nope, doesn't work that way. Injury to others isn't necessary for something to be illegal.

Agreed. The situation is bad. She should have been deported much, much sooner. As for the education she would be denied, blame Estados Unidos Mexicanos for not providing educational opportunities to their citizens. That is neither the fault nor responsibility of the United States of America.

12. Invisible Fan

Photo IDs in Indiana was upheld with Crawford v. Marion County Election Board.

That aside, my point is that the bar for entry is high and lengthy, and those laws have been crafted by people who have no direct interest in solving the original problem with reasonable action.

In light of that, strictly adhering to...
    1. Utilize the existing system.
    2. Abide by the existing system guidelines.​

...doesn't address the realities underlying a system that exploits cheap and easily abused labor.

#152 Invisible Fan, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I surely hope the United State of America don't have the position of a 2 years old criminal. That's insensitive and not moral on so many levels.

14. BetterThanI

Fair enough, though VOTER id =/= PHOTO id. Regardless, I maintain that the two issues are intrinsically different and not at all comparable. Back on topic...

Perhaps, but again...that doesn't excuse or condone ignoring the law to your benefit.

The speed limit on the main street in my neighborhood is a ridiculous 25mph. A far more reasonable speed would be 35mph. The people who decided that limit were people who have no direct interest in solving the original problem with reasonable action. But if I speed on that street, I still get (and deserve) a ticket.

Of course, this is a very simplified analogy, but the point remains: dissatisfaction with a law does not give the right to ignore it or disregard it. Furthermore, ignoring the law and immigrating illegally doesn't address the REAL problem.

The real problem it not US immigration. It's Mexican expatriation.

15. BetterThanI

No, the 2 year old isn't a criminal. She's simply here due to criminal activity. The parents are criminals. The 2 year old should be deported with her family.

16. Invisible Fan

Totally agree with you on philosophical and personal level. I speed and ignore the law as well. Sometimes I get caught, sometimes I don't. I recognize the speeding law makes me drive slower and at the very least, more aware of popo lurking around.

Likewise, border patrol will still receive billions and more. Illegals will still be deported.

On a social level, illegals in the majority of states don't receive social services or other government benefits. I wouldn't go as far as pushing entitlements for non-citizens, but that impact on daily life is far greater than you or I face. They can't carry US credit or bank accounts in their own name. So they carry in cash. Get mugged, can't report to the police. Get stabbed, walk it off. Can't walk...then roll the dice at the ER, hope you can pay for it and that you aren't reported. Ride the bus or drive illegally.

Totally recognize they're still criminals in the eye of the law and they lay in the bed they've made, but the bed they slept in before must've been helluva lot worse.

I don't know about yours, but I can say my parents didn't come from dirt poor conditions before they took a shot moving here.

Idealistically, this country promotes and encourages expatriation from other nations. And we'd have labor shortages without all immigration. It's just that loosening immigration standards wouldn't necessarily mean more Mexicans would get in or that they'd find jobs at a higher legal wage.

So you have bandaids like amnesty that doesn't open the floodgates at all because the system of laws and overexploitation will still remain as a known quantity to those who expatriate.

17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i'm guessing you're probably an illegal alien or an anchor baby yourself... and i'm sure you probably support ILLEGAL immigration since these folks are just here doing the jobs lazy Americans wont do right... wonder how you sneaked into this country yourself. Nobody's jealous of this illegal alien girl, whoopy she graduated. That's not the point here, sure it wasn't her choice to come here illegally, but someone need to pay the punishment and consequence of breaking the law. If you're one of those legal immigrants who waited many years and paid tons of money to come here the right way, you wouldnt be on the alien's side.

18. False

False Member

That sort of thinking is preposterous. It's like people feeling "insulted" that there are people out there smoking pot when they themselves don't partake. You don't get some high ground on which to stand simply because the winds of the law have blown in your family's favor.

If people actually think that her being here "insults" people who did it the "correct, legal way" then those people need to have a thicker skin and stop being so petty. But you do not seriously believe that you are "insulted" - people like you say it for rhetorical effect. If you actually thought that you should be most upset by people born in the United States who got status without even having to try. It's those people that who most "insult" people who do it the "correct, legal way." This girl doesn't have a green card and likely has no way to get a green card. She has no lawful status and therefore has no where near the same amount of benefits as your family has had in this country.

As someone actually born in the United States who got citizenship by operation of the 14th amendment I could be insulted that there are people who come into this country by operation of something so lowly as the Immigration and Nationality Act, but I don't and I never will feel that way. You are no better and no worse than this girl just like you are no better and no worse than me.

Tell you what, if you still feel insulted and you want to do something realistic to salve your grievous injury, vote for people who will enact comprehensive immigration reform. Once people like this girl have status, you can quit whining.

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

amen...........

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

that pot analogy is a major fail.
    i'm sure you can never relate to those immigrants who come to this country the right and legal way.

There's a reason she didnt have any "benefits", cause she's a freaking illegal aliens, they're not suppose to have the same benefits US citizens have. But by your tone, I'm sure you think they should...