1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spanish Radio] Sergio Llull close to deciding to join the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 3, 2015.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i for one thought this would happen exactly like this when the rockets drafted lull in the 2nd round 27 years ago.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Sergio You'll can drink all of the Red Bull he wants, just in a cup.

3. 1510 Polk St

1510 Polk St Member

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I look forward to the $hit posts demanding Llull to drink another Red Bull when his shot is not falling or he makes a costly turnover.

/s

5. Airdough

Airdough Member

How many other moves do the Rockets have lined up to make an 8 million per year offer possible?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lulz and Pepperoni had dinner together.

7. jonkey86

jonkey86 Member

Last week Llull had dinner with Prigioni. According to sources, Llull wanted to know everything about the Rockets and is seriously considering playing for them next season.

According to sources, Llull wanted to know about the city, the locker room atmosphere and showed special interest in coach Kevin McHale, who is intriguing as he has been loved by past players he has coached.

8. shastarocket

Kevin Mchale strikes again.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

I sense much pre-draft misinformation is floating about, but let's assume these reports are correct (unlikely).....at the very least, they could indicate the Rockets are planning to use cap space rather than stay over and use the MLE.

Why would they do this? Because it's likely the only way to sign Llull AND keep KJ McDaniels.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Mainly, let Josh Smith and Brewer walk, plus release Prigioni and Papanikolaou.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They can't just release Papanikolau. They took up his $5 mil option already. It would have to be a trade.

12. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

You could probably find a team (sixers) to give up some second rounders and swallow his contract. Sixers have #35 and #37. I think that could be sufficient. And we could use the picks in later trades too.

13. shastarocket

Feigen says otherwise:

14. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Not if they are actually using the MLE. You can only give 4.5% raises with that exception.

I can see $21-23.5M over 4 years by way of the MLE, but that is the most. No way they renounce Brewer, McDaniels, and Smith to make a $7M+ dollar a year offer to Llull.

15. anchel

anchel Member

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/8859/houston-rockets-salary-cap-update-2015-offseason/

Well, I think the main difference against operating over the cap it would mean the sure leaving of Corey Brewer.

- Terry would be offered a vet min contract ala Garcia.

- Josh Smith was equally almost gone, unless he was willing to accept a $2.49 million per year contract.

- I'd say Beverley's cap hold could fit if the team renounces to Brewer's cap hold of $6.11 million.

- Papas and Priggs would be gone, if not signed for min contracts.

- Team could use the under the cap exception starting by $2,814,000 in another player. KJ McDaniels?

In the end I think these new digits would mean the sure leaving of Corey Brewer. Rockets could still keep Terry and even Beverley, maybe even McDaniels by using that under the cap exception.

This new offer to Llull it would mean that the player is really hesitant about leaving Madrid and could mean that there have already been some discussions with Brewer's agent and an agreement looks very unlikely... But I'm just doing uncertain assumptions and likely missing some details and technicalities... :p

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

So basically we would lose Brew and Smith just to sign Sergio? As bad as I want him that would really hurt the team. Our bench\depth will get destroyed

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

According to Feigen, they have not made a decision on Papa, and even if they have, that doesn't mean anything......his salary is non-guaranteed next year.

Here is a hypothetical alternative:

- Waive rights to Brewer and Smith
    - Trade Prigioni, Dorsey and TJones for no return salary
    - Make Papa a free agent, and resign him at a much lower figure
    - Sign Llull and KJ McDaniels
    - Sign Beverley using bird rights
    - Sign 1st round pick
    - Sign 2nd round pick

Llull / Beverley
    Harden / Johnson
    Ariza / McDaniels
    DMo / Papa
    Howard / Capela

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Absent some organic improvement from the middle three, that's a brutal bench and will necessitate another "rebuild it in midseason" project

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Who is better Brewer or Ariza?

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Exactly.....there are many routes this offseason can take. We've all been assuming that Brewer and Josh Smith would resign, and the Rockets would use Prigioni and Papanikolaou's non-guaranteed contracts to make a bigger deal........but what if the Rockets prefer signing Llull (even at a higher price) and keeping KJ?