1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are all the injuries just a fluke?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ibm, Jun 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mercy road

mercy road Member

You have an excellent point there. Basketball is a fast twitch sport and dead lifting certainly is not. But while I agree with your observation, I have nothing to back it up. But that certainly does not mean that you are wrong.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Probably nothing to do with PED's...

3. adobo

adobo Member

It's expected when the league is now guard oriented. Lot's of wear and tear given to ball dominant guards...lots of running around, setting screens around the perimeter, almost on every play....rather than just dumping it on the post

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

There is some truth to that.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That what I said the first time I saw Lebron in an NBA jersey....

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think it's something to note that training has gotten a lot better than in the 80s and they have figured out how to push the body to the extreme limits night in and night out. While this has made more efficient players, when have they gone over the limits they open up a player to risk of injury. The deficit is they have no measurements to say when that line has been crossed. I hope this is something that will be remedied somewhat by the study of biometrics. ESPN had an article on it a while back - apparently it's used in Soccer and is recently starting to gain traction in the NBA. Basically it tracks your performance with all those VU cameras and they can use that data to map what your body looks like when it's tired, when it's rested, etc. The algorithm learns what a players peak performance range is and makes recommendations for when a player does/doesn't need rest. It's a really cool project I think and hopefully it will prevent at least some types of injuries.

7. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Dear OP,

You should ask Watson.....

8. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I wonder if there is a correlation between genital size and injury proneness.

9. Asian Sensation

Kids these days are soft.

The young guys in the league (under 30) never drank water from the hose on a hot sunny day while shooting on the hoop outside the house which you helped pops cement.

10. Asian Sensation

I think guys overall are more lazy these days. Some people in this thread have mentioned they're working too hard. I actually think a lot of them are not working hard enough and or in a smart way... their diets/nutrition overall are terrible.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't think muscle increase plays much of a role, unless the body already has an underlying stability issue or its excessive for their frame. The latter is not common in the NBA.

Look at most of the guys who are injured..not exactly very muscular. KD, WB, Beverley, Kyrie, Love, Paul, George, Rose, Jparker, Conley, Korver, etc

Might need to clear that up..I'd say that's incorrect, as it's written.

#31 RV6, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  12. ibm

ibm Member

that was what i had in mind when initiated this thread.

the lacking of conventional excellence of big men in recent years has put out my passion for the sport just a little bit. here's the hope that anthony davis can shine, and brilliantly.

13. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

This is way out in left field, but maybe there's something with how muscles, tendons, and bones react to how food and drinks have changed over the years. I'm imagining that somewhere along the line, maybe the sports drinks and the added acidic nature is adding to it. Like I said, just a random thought.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

There is no truth to that - none at all. Remember that in the late 70s, there were only a handful of guys in the entire league who worked out(Kermit Washington most notably). By the 80s workouts were a little more common, but still nothing like the 6+ hour workouts of today with trained staff. Those services were offered by teams by the 80s but the staff didn't know as much as they do today about training so the training was less efficient. Additionally, players didn't generally have a personal trainer on the side as well as many pro players do now. That didn't really start until the mid/late Jordan era of the 90s. I know we see videos of basketball stars leaving clubs late, but no one shows the videos of them in sweats running 5 miles at 7am but it most definitely happens and it most definitely happens more now than it did in the past.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't agree that they're more lazy, in general, but i do think it's true for some guys. Although teams offer so much more now, than ever, there's still a lot of "homework" left up to players to complete. Players can get treatment all day at practice, but if they they go home, eat crap, stay up late, and have a hangover the next day, they'll still have a higher risk for injury because of fatigue.