1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do our fans/crowd at games always chant when shooting free throws?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketboi, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

This drove me insane all season. That's how you know we have a bandwagon fan base. They would get so noisy during crunch time free throws. You're suppose to shut up and let them score not chant MVP when harden is about to shoot. Such a weak crowd it disappointed the hell out of me, especially during WFC

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Breh??????????????????

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

Trust me, they get paid a million dollars to play ball, chanting MVP should be, it better not, bother them. They're not some teens in high school or college. Grown ass men here.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think the chant affects Harden when he's hitting free throws. Same with Curry. Some players feed into it. The crowd is usually quiet when Dwight or Josh is at the line.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's dead quiet when bad free throw shooters shoot. They would probably like it more if there was more noise.

6. bmd

bmd Member

The crowd doesn't bother you if you are a good shooter. Nothing in the arena is distracting.

They shoot a billion free throws and they do the same thing every single time. People waving things, people chanting, etc... it's all blocked out.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

The players have an avenue to speak to the fans. Either during the game or through the media. If Josh wants people yelling "J TO THA SMOOVE!" while he's taking free throws, the crowd will do it.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Ban this guy. What do you know?

9. TAB

TAB Member

I hate it when weak crowds are being noisy.

1 person likes this.
  10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If you're a good enough player to warrant MVP chants, you should be good enough to make free throws while your hometown fans are chanting that.

11. TheJet

TheJet Member

This isn't golf. It's not like Harden is trying to call an audible at the line to pick up the blitz. Hell if it were me I'd WANT people screaming encouragement or positive chants while I was shooting freebies. Maybe we should try chanting positive things for Howard and Smith. It couldn't hurt.

12. OpenLayup-Why3?

NBA crowds are **** in general. They are there to watch the game, not support their team. Just sayin.

If PA announcer needs to start chants through speakers then you know it's fake. Lazy ass D-fence chant is the most ridiculous to me. Why not O-fence then too?

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree with your point, but just being devil's advocate... ball players don't become emotionless vulcan machines. They're human, and typically 20-somethings with minimal college/life experience, at that.
    I would HOPE that this wouldn't affect them. But then I see Dwight and Smith shooting free throws.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You think Cleveland doesn't have a bandwagon fanbase?

This is how the Q handled it:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's what they're showing on the Jumbotron in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cleveland?src=hash">#Cleveland</a> when the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cavaliers?src=hash">#Cavaliers</a> players are at the free throw line <a href="http://t.co/TwgIM42rih">pic.twitter.com/TwgIM42rih</a></p>&mdash; Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/608478162297745408">June 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

MVP chants when the game is close and on the line is ****ing ridiculous..

You're supposed to do the chant when we have a comfortable lead.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

JVG made a good point, being quiet is far worse than cheering loudly. However, I find it stupid when people start going crazy in crunch time free throws, esp when we have a bad shooter on the line.

I remember being at a game years ago, and Chuck was shooting free throws and the whole stadium was going nuts (iirc, he had had like 3 great plays on both ends of the court to get us the W). Pretty sure he went on to miss at least one of those free throws.

Just because they get paid millions, doesn't mean they can totally block out 20,000 screaming fans. They're human, people -- not robots.

17. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Doesn't Dwight shoot way better away than at home? I'd think silence would bother players way more in big moments than a lot of noise.

18. do work son

do work son Member

i don't think that's a big deal, but rockets fans look like a bunch of chumps when they're chanting MVP when harden had already lost the award. even worse when the real MVP is on the other team

19. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Rudy, Ruuudy, Ruuuuuudy

20. sabesque

sabesque Member

The MVP chant never really phased Jimmy.

I noticed at times the crowd would stop chanting when he started to walk to the line, but later in season when they noticed that it didnt phase him they just rolled with it.