1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we assuming the old Motiejunas will be back next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jun 3, 2015.

1. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

He's in the pool today already.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

*anti gravity treadmill

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . .. I expect him to come back stronger
    He really should focus on Core Strength and BRUTE Strength
    He needs to go to REBOUNDING CAMP

It is IMO his biggest weakness
    He and TJones get pushed around too much
    and their rebound awareness is lacking

Stamina could help too

Rocket River

4. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

25/12 season on 35/60/70 shooting coming up next year

5. hvic

hvic Member

with any type of injury everyone body heals different so it is hard to pin point how he will be next season.

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I don't recall the journalistic source either, but this is definitely correct. Dwight's condition was much more serious than Dmo's.

I do recall Dwight commenting to that effect as well.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think this is the thing that the whole "Trade Jones ASAP" crowd is totally miscalculating as far as risk is concerned. The NBA just doesn't have a great track record for players coming back from major back injuries. Yeah, players can come back, and play, but its just one of those injuries that for whatever reason you have to be very cautious about. Go ask Mike Miller, Tracy McGrady, or even Kevin Love about it.

I'd love to sit here and be Mr. Positive "Of Course He's Going To Be Healthy", and there are actually people on here that have said how they had that surgery and they felt fine weeks later. Well you aren't a professional athlete, and you sure as hell aren't 7 feet tall.

With D-Mo its definitely a wait and see how he looks approach as I would hope it is with the team. If you're going to move Jones, and let Smith walk I think you are taking a substantial risk this season, and you could be looking at a major weakness yet again for the Rockets on their roster.

8. LA_Baller

LA_Baller Member

Why is this even up for discussion? Motiejunas is 24 years old, still very young by NBA standards and in his prime, especially when it comes to health he will make a full recovery and come back stronger. On top of this, he is 7'0 and 225 pounds. Dwight is 6'10 and 270, Yao was 7'6 and 310, he doesn't have the mass these big guys carry around making my point stronger. I am almost 100% sure he will come back and put up his 13 ppg and 6 rebounds at the least, hopefully better then that.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's actually been at or above 260 for over a year now.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

After his rookie year, DMo said he got off the scale and it said 255 pounds. He's clearly put on a lot of muscle since he was drafted.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This... Most likely 270. These NBA dudes lie about their weight all the time and are sensitive more so than a few inches shaven off their listed height.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Because next year looks to be a very pivotal year for the Rockets in trying to take advantage of one of Dwight's last years in his prime, and if the Rockets somehow lose Smith, and trade Jones they are putting a lot of trust in the notion that D-Mo is going to come back as the D-Mo we saw around the trade deadline who looked like the 2nd best player on the team.

I don't think anyone is seriously worried about D-Mo ever recovering and his career being over-with. That is sort of non-sense. But back injuries are tricky, and I think it would be foolish to just assume that day 1 in training camp he looking like "Captain Hook" right away.

And the Rockets are a team that in a loaded West will need him to be that guy right away in order to have a good regular season next year that can set them up for a good playoff run. So yeah, it should be a concern especially if other PF options are lost this offseason.

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He will be fine. I just have a gut feeling. It was a killer for him personally to be sidelined for the playoffs. I know he will rehab and train with a laser focus. I expect that he will be brought back slowly into the rotation, which will help his cause.

14. LA_Baller

LA_Baller Member

Thanks guys for the weight update, ok he is hovering around 250-260. That is still relatively low for being a 7" player. Dmo will recover 100% and return to form, however for him to put up better numbers then last season relies on him. He has no excuse to be a better player this coming season regardless of coming off injury, he's too young to have excuses, which I doubt he will have excuses, he will be a better player next season. We need a healthy improved Dmo to win a ring more so then we need a point guard, he is that important especially at this point in his career. I am not saying we do not need a point guard but With a skilled 7 footer we would have made it to the finals.

15. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

Didn't he just have a discectomy? I had one a couple years ago on my L5 and was advised to stay away from impact activities/sports for 6 months even though i felt fine. Reason is because you want that disc to set properly and not re-bulge. He should be back to 100% unless there was nerve damage, which i doubt. If he did, you'd see him doing physiotherapy everyday.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Lets hope he rebounds from this setback.

[​IMG]

17. NotChandlerParsons

That'd be nice, wouldn't it.

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He'll be better than fine.

19. craguin

craguin Member

I can't tell if D-Mo's surgery was the same or if it was more/less serious condition than Dwight's...

April 20, 2012
    April 9, 2015
    May 31, 2015

20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Remember when tjones got injured and came back stronger from his upper body?
    Hopefully d mo stays in the gym and gets stronger as well..