1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 French Open

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Air Langhi, Jun 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

GOAT clay player might lose. Nadal is banged up, but this might be the end.

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Djokovic is on another level right now.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

This might be the year Djoko finally gets his career slam. I hope so. He might be the hardest worker in sports.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think Nadal is also hurt/old. In his prime no one was beating Nadal on clay.

5. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Unfortunately, the primes are past for Nadal and Federer. I think Nadal might have another French title in him if he works hard to get his body back in form but right now, Nole is at the top and he'll either have to slip or someone needs to step up substantially to catch him.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I was under the impression, from the start of the game, that Monfils would take out Federer. Had the game gone on... I think he would have had more of a chance. :eek:

7. malakas

malakas Member

The swede did. Also federer beat him but not in the french. In Madrid and some other atp tournies.

I didnt know there were tennis fans here. I used to watch more tennis than basketball but after Federer started to decline I couldnt stand to watch Murray and Djoker dominate. Im waiting for the new generation to rise before I come back lol wheres dimitrov? Im waiting.

8. Ismail

Ismail Member

Murray-Djokovic deserves to be a final. Hard to bet against Novak though, he's been scary good. It's impressive how he's been so consistently good the last couple of years. How many Slams do you think he'll end up with when he retires? He may still have the mental edge over Murray, and physically he dominates just about everyone else right now.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

He's at 10 and he's still good enough to win every one. He may not pass Federer, but i think he's been better. Fed just benefited from playing during such a weak time.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Or maybe he was so good and dominant that he made the others seem weak. Imagine how many more slams Hewitt or Roddick would have won if it wasnt for him. Djoko is the lucky one to not have to face a prime Federer. Esp at 2007. His game was a thing of pure beauty.

Its a wonder that Fed at his age is still so good. He thought he would have retired by now.
    In general it seems this generation is playing at much older age than its normal. Im surprised that Ferrer and Robredo are still around. Another indication that the Nole era in general is weak that so old players are still hanging around and win.

I think finals will be Nole vs Wawa. Though Im rooting for Tsonga.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Is Ana Ivanovic the GOAT tennis player beauty? Spectacular.
    I guess Kournikova would have something to say about that.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

In my opinion, yes. And she is really nice and down to earth, too.

13. malakas

malakas Member

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It's a toss up. In the French Open alone... maybe Chris Evert. :)

[that's a man, man Austin Powers meme.jpg] :eek:

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yeah it seems that way. Unfortunately not a closer. She does not front run very well.

16. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Hewitt used to own Fed until Fed blew that Davis Cup game, turned into an absolute monster, and then beat him like 15 times in a row. It was a weaker era than it is now, but you're just discrediting how dominant Fed was during his reign. He made everyone else look helpless while making his game look so effortless and elegant.

Agreed. Fed is still #2 at like 34 and still a threat to Nole every time they play. I'm a big Djokovic fan, but he's the one benefitting from playing Fed (and Nadal) towards the tail end of his career. Nole is on another level right now, but I think he needs to be dominant for another 4-5 years in order to be mentioned in the GOAT conversation.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

fed is a wizard fk da h8ers

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I've never seen a better player then Federer in his prime, I don't care how many trophies he or anyone else has. He was flawless. Novak is phenomenal but he's on a list of guys behind Fed.

19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

It really must be frustrating to be Murray. He's in his prime and can easily rival and go toe-to-toe with Nole. They are similar physically and talent-wise, but it Murray is such a mental midget. He plays much better loose. When the moment is big, he usually falters. Nole just dominates Murray's head. Murray can make changes to his game and get new coaches, but IMO, the biggest change he needs to make, if he can, is in his head.

Looking forward to the final. Wawrinka in Grand Slams is always a threat, no matter who the opponent is and their past history.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Feds game is beautiful to watch. I played tennis my whole life, and we were always asked to watch tapes of him so we could mirror his game.

Roddick and Hewitt are Arguably the weakest #1s of all time. Roddick has the most one dimensional game of anyone who ever made it to that point (big serve and forehand although he later tried to get more aggressive with his net game). And Hewitts game was pretty much just counter punching. Possibly the least aggressive player to make the #1 spot.

Feds consistency will never be matched, I agree he's never had an off tournament. But the reason he won so much was because he didn't have an all time great challenging him until later in his career...