1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Ty Lawson is pretty close to prefect offensively for the Rockets. He hits 3's, he is exceptional at penetrating and in the open court, he is very good passer, he is efficient and is capable of taking a lot of shots but does not have to, he draws fouls.

Defensively he tries harder than people think but he has a hard time with screens and contesting shots.

Ideally you resign Bev if you get Lawson so you have a defensive minded guard.

It doesn't address the rebounding issues the Rockets have but it does the turnover issue.

2. basketballholic

Ty Lawson is paid like $12 million a year. And he doesn't defend. He's a little bit better offensive player than guys like Mo Williams. But to get Lawson, we've got to give up significant assets and on top of that he's gonna hog up cap space.

We're not interested in Lawson. If he defended it'd be a different story. But he don't. Lawson and Harden in the backcourt means tons of blow bys and Harden's usage goes down in favor of getting Lawson possessions.

It's simply the wrong recipe.

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Harden likely wants another playmaker, so if the candidate is not a playmaker then he wouldn't be a good choice.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I am glad you speak for the front office... I will forward them your message.

Still feeling good about McHale getting fired and replaced by control freak Thibs?
    I will give you a hint.... Morey is not going to hire a coach that doesn't not communicate with his front office, doesn't value organizational input or consider ideas... He learned that with Adelman.

I don't know if the Rockets will get Lawson, but I do know that he is an excellent fit offensively.... and it is going to be difficult to get a point guard that meets the Rockets needs offensively and defensively.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, I agree with this. Lawson's production can be had Via cheaper ways.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mario Chalmers was on our roster next year for next to nothing. Remember Miami has to sign Dragic and likely his brother too this offseason.

As an aside - I wish Ricky Rubio could shoot. He would be perfect for us if he could....and also if he could stay healthy.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Sorry but no. Mario chalmers and lawson arent the same. Lawson is one of the best playmakers in the league and THATS why hes paid 11 per. U pay for his playmaking , for his assists , for making the whole roster better. His defence is the reason he is not a max player and the reason that Houston even has a hope to trade for him with its poor assets.
    U cant find a player who is a good playmaker , plays excellent defence , shoots the three, can play off ball , and doesnt make turnovers so easilly. Because teams who have such pgs do not trade them.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Many of the PG names mentioned here are not the top guys, and this is for a good reason: there aren't many top PG free agents this summer. Goran Dragic is most likely the top guy, and after him it's maybe Monta Ellis? Who else is there? Reggie Jackson and Rajon Rondo? Frankly, Dragic is just about the only free agent PG I'd chase with a substantial sum. Short of him, the reasonable course of action is to try and find a lower-priced guy rather than going after guys below Dragic on that list.

Also, given Morey's history, it is pretty clear that he will likely chase elite players regardless of position. Last summer, for example, he went after Lowry, Melo and Bosh-- a PG, a SF/PF and a PF/C. This summer, most of his top targets are going to be non-PGs just because that's who is out there. If the team is fortunate enough to land one of these top non-PGs, it will have limited resources to fill multiple vacancies. This means they will then need to find a lower-priced serviceable PG.

If the team strikes out on all of the elite free agents and is unable to trade for an elite addition, then it will most likely go after "assets and flexibility" once again, which again means they won't spend a lot of money on a free agent PG.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

that team also had a 5 time MVP, wade, and bosh. And chalmers wasn't 38 either.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

And what year was Jennings drafted? 2009. Morey loves his 2009 draftees.

10. Zfan

Zfan Member

Is he really asking for a playmaker? Or he wants a PG who can defend Curry?

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Segio. Lull.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Terry.Lin.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

here's how i would bolster the backcourt this summer:

#1 - trade for jennings. the pistons will be looking to move him since they have jackson as the starter. the price for him won't be as high as lawson or lowry. he's a good spot up 3pt shooter, good at playing as a scorer off the ball, and SVG had him playing really well as a facilitator and even on defense.

i think the pistons would actually value jones as either monroe's replacement, or as a 3rd big with monroe and drummond. while we would have to use the NG contracts of papa and prigs to match salaries, i think the pistons might have use for them in the rotation rather than just cutting them for cap savings. i also think #32 would be enough to get the deal done, but i'd also add next year's knicks second rounder if needed. OR i would give #18 for their #38 and their second rounder next year. that would leave us with 2 high second rounders this year AND next.

#2 - let bev walk. i'd like to keep him, but he will get paid as a starter, and its not worth spending that money for him to come off the bench. ideally he would agree to a S&T so we can get a TE for him, but i doubt the mavs will go for that. cuban will tell morey to either match or dont, but there wont be a trade and morey wont match.

to replace bev as a backup PG, i would sign aaron brooks to the vet min. like jennings, he's shown a lot of improvement on defense and decision making this year. he would be a place holder for a year or two until nick johnson overtakes him for the backup role.

#3 - use the MLE to sign lou williams instead of josh smith. gasp. josh is dwights bff and got us to the WCF, but lou williams can go OFF from anywhere on the court. he puts up points in a hurry and still plays decent defense. he would give us a legit scorer off the bench and complete a sick guard rotation. josh was a great stretch 4, passer, and defender, but he was very turnover prone and can't hit a FT.

to replace josh i would bring back another ex rocket for the vet min, luis scola. scola gives us another player who can create his own shot, can hit FTs, doesn't turn the ball over, rebounds well, still not a bad defender either, though he's no josh smith at rim protection. i'd also add depth here by drafting a PF with whatever pick we have after the jennings trade.

final roster:

dwight-capela-dorsey
    dmo-scola-rookie
    ariza-brewer-KJ
    harden-lou-terry
    jennings-brooks-NJ

#334 smoothie, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Harden isn't asking for a defensive minded player he is asking for a 2nd playmaker, a guy who can score buckets. Getting another defensive minded PG wont solve our biggest issue of defenses collapsing Harden and him getting worn out by then end of the playoffs.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Rubio is very young still. And it's reported he has been working on his shot a ton.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not perfect, but I think Rodo would be a great fit.

Shooting, injuries, freethrows all a concern.

But he's a good defender. Would keep the ball from getting sticky. Would set Harden up in some easier positions (as well as everyone else). Also, the offense is free flowing which is what he wants.

McHale is good with players. I think Howard likes Rondo.

And we likely wouldn't have to give up any assets to get him.

Also, this would be a great spot to get back at Dallas.

I would try to pick up Rondo and then draft a PG like Tyus to come off of the bench.

19. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

thats what i came in here to say he can play defense can can shoot the nba 3 he has the talent the possible rookie of the year ;) sergio llull! scouts have compared him to dragic/lowry

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I would be all for this also.