1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith, Jason Terry and Corey Brewer want to return to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leangle25, May 29, 2015.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

My preference to stay...:eek:

1.) Brewer
    2.) Smith
    3.) Terry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Curse of the Billy Goat

3. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

I think continuity would be great for this group...I'd love to see the three of them back for a full season

4. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Yes, Yes and Yes.

This is our bench along with Capela next year. We should move anybody not named Harden, Howard, Lord Threeza to fill out the rest of our rotation (purposefully left out Jones and Dmo).

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

All 3 back but in bench roles. None of them should start for a Finals contender but great bench depth. That would have been the case this year if not for injuries so we're close.

6. Man

Man Contributing Member

I agree. Would make a solid bench.

It would be great retain all 3, but Smith and Brewer are going to have to compromise a bit on their compensation if they really want to stay. I can't see us being able to pay fair value for both.

I hope so!

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Terry was pretty bad at his last two stops (definitely the last one). I will confess that I was not a fan of the signing but was surprised at how well he played and made his shots. Hopefully you're right that he has another year under his belt. So, do they get rid of Prigioni and/or Nick Johnson?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think Terry is back if McHale wants him. Money shouldn't be an issue at all there.

Smith I'm 50/50 on. I can buy the "happy here" narrative that sees him leave money on the table.

Brewer...eh...I think I am in the same position the team will be in. I like him on the team, love what he does in transition, but we really need a shooter on the bench. How much money do I want to pay Brewer to split backup minutes with a shooter we add? Do I want to give him a 3 year deal for like 6 or 7 million?

Brewer is the one I think is least likely to be back, despite being the one I probably like the most.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Terry can be a shot-maker if he's not asked to be a starter and defend elite PGs for 30 mins/game. So while it sucked in the playoffs, I am ok with trying to bring him back as a 9th man who gets 12 mpg / at times steps up to 25 mpg when he's hot

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

trust me i was in the exact same boat as you. I couldn't find myself cheering for him at all and he was a huge surprise this season as I had no idea what he had left in the tank. can't say enough about his playoff experience through the years that helped tremendously for houston this year. I don't think prigs will be back with houston next season. johnson stays and probably will be in and out of the lineups with d league stints.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

An S/T with Brewer will be difficult. Morey can use his Early Bird rights, but Corey would like to go to a contender. All contenders with cap room will use it on better players, or utilize it on their own players.

I could see the Kings going after him for a 3yr 7 M per yr contract. I don't know their salary cap position, but I wouldn't mind getting a future first rounder in return from them, or Collison as part of a package deal. Collison will be hard to obtain, I think.

Will Toronto or Denver agree to take him as part of a Lowry/Lawson package? I doubt it, but these things are worth exploring.

If our PG position was strong, then I would be all for retaining him. Smith is up and down, but we need him more than Corey IMO. I like Terry, but I don't see a role for him, unless we can upgrade the team, and bring him back for the vet's minimum.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I'm probably biased, but I just really don't want Brewer back.

He's going to make a big impact on the regular season, but he was completely useless outside of like 3 games in the playoffs.

His defense is terrible, his shot selection has been awful at times all season, bad jump shooter, and just terrible decision maker.

I'll root for him because he was a bright spot in the regular season, but in the playoffs he just wasnt good vs good defensive teams.

Josh Smith is also just annoying to have to deal with. His defense was just consistently poor and his shot selection (not his 3pt shots, but when he decides to try to score) were just killer. But I'd bring him back on the cheap if possible

Bring back Terry for sure, his veteran presence was huge

13. afk

afk Member

Headband team stay together.

14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'd bring them all back

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Lotta negs on Josh, but I think he can be a cornerstone...

I dont wanna pay him 10M/yr or nothing... but if he wants MLE type money (in conjunction with his Detroit money) he's the steal for what he brings...

The beginning of the year we were all complaining that nobody could get an inlet pass to Dwight - and Josh is tossing him beautiful 2 hand ally-oop dunks - that's worth the price of admission...

Freethows are disheartening - but I have to believe correctable... if a guy can hit 3s at a higher % than fts in a game then I have to believe he has the skills and needs some coaching...

Chucking - too many shtos when not shooting well - gotta put that on coaching... give the dude perameters and hold him accountable - he will take fewer ill advised shoots if he knows he only gets so many attempts a game....

For reasonable money, I'd work with Josh and Dmo at pf rather than dumping assets and caproom into trying to upgrade....

we need all the assets and flexibility at our disposal to fill the need at point....

I think Brewers production can be gotten cheaper than he will be paid...

JTerry.. meh.... vet min/5th guard is acceptable for vet leadership - but no more...

16. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I want them to return as well.

17. ibm

ibm Member

brewer
    terry
    smith

in that order?

depending on the $, of course.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think Smith is gone. He will leverage whatever positives he showed here to get the most money he can with any other team. His mission here was to resurrect his career and he did it.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would like all 3 back.
    Terry - leadership from the bench
    Smith/Brewer - rotational bench production.

The key is to just clearly define Brewer's/Smith's roles and LIMIT THEIR MINUTES. They can be VERY effective, but for long stretches they lose their luster.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think Smith's contract status (non-bird rights) is going to make re-signing him a tough pill to swallow unless he takes the 120% of previous salary raise (which is something in the $3mil range), which will allow us to sign him while over the cap.

If I understand Bima's last salary cap update right, paying him any more than that will mean we have to either use our cap room or the MLE, either of which means it will be tough to sign Beverly and bring in a shooter, which combined I think is more important than signing Josh.

Brewer is a little more feasible since we have bird rights, so we could feasibly sign him, Beverly, and still have the MLE.