1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So. Is D-Mo a future all-star if he keeps improving like he is?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ns575, May 28, 2015.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well Hey... at least you're more reasonable than some guy on here claiming D-Mo was going to be better than AD... ROFL

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yes, but only if he's not playing alongside Dwight. I think he needs to be given a more central role in an offense to develop. I'd think his best career move would be heading East and finding a non-contender to play with.

I'm not saying this to bash Dwight or DMo. I hope he stays and we figure out how to better incorporate him into the offense.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

wasn't that jtr?

4. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

He can be what harrison barnes is to the warriors..given the depth of the west, its likely he will never be an all star, but he can still be a very solid contributor

5. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

I'm not sure how you can see his post moves are overrated. He was very very good this season as a post player; it seemed next to automatic when he got good position down low. His hook shot is fantastic.

I agree that his rebounding is bad though. With that said I don't see how you can say he will "be fortunate to be a reliable rotational guy," this is obviously just my opinion, but yeah.

I do not think he will be an allstar, but from what I have seen it looks like he will be a very important part of the success of the Rockets

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would you say that? Playing alongside Dwight would only help him because it would mean he couldn't be double teamed and Dwight would help with rebounds. It's actually a pretty good combination.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think he is. He's a tall post presence that can actually compete among the trees of the league and when combined with Dwight makes a perfect tandem. I think he probably will get better lift on his hook shots once his back recovers. All this remains to be seen next season.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe - but probably not - maybe like a Scola level impact at his peak.

DD

9. New

You need to get enough and consistent touches in the offense to develop into an all star. I do not see how he can get that. Ask yourself this question: can you predict how Dmo will get his ball in each Rocket possession?

Most of our possessions in the regular season have been used to develop Harden and Howard.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, I honestly don't remember but it was insane.

11. SemisolidSnake

He has the best post-moves on the team and some of the best in the league. He needs to improve in all other aspects, which he seems capable of doing over time, given his history so far. Unfortunately, it just seems like post play is just not a major offensive focus anymore. If he become an excellent assist-guy that would open up a lot of options for the offense from the post. He also needs to be able to be a roller on PnRs as well, which have shown much efficacy in our play.

He's got something special, but it needs to be properly cultivated within the right system to be devastating, and I always have questions about our system. I don't think he'll ever be fan-voted on to the All-Star team just because of his name. If he does play as well he did at his peak this year (with improvements) for the whole of next year, I could see him getting a dark-horse coach's selection.

12. New

If we had put more time into Dmo in 2013 and 2014, he might have become the guy who gives us the extra to get to NBA finals. But what a great job Mchale has done to waste time on 2Pat, Robinson and Jones.

13. New

Agree with everything you said except an elite post player is worth a lot when it comes to play off time. Why did Clipper lose game 6? Griffon was unable to get anything going down the stretch.

14. malakas

malakas Member

In the West NO. Not when you have centers like Cuz and Gobert coming up and a ton more athletic forwards like Griffin and young ones coming up.
    In the East he could be an all star as a Center. Perhaps.

However, to clarify his impact if he continues this way can be the equivalent of an all star.

15. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I like the thread, and I think it is a good question, and I am a huge D Mo fan, and I think he is a legit starting power forward that fits perfectly on this team next to Howard, and I think he will be better next year...

and I think there is little to no chance he ever makes an all star team. There is just too many forwards better than him. He is really good though, and a lot of legit, really good, championship level starters never make an all star team. DMo, I believe, is one of them.

16. malakas

malakas Member

The good thing about DMO is that the new craze among GMs and teams are the "playmaking pfs" like him. Read the Grantland article.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He's got quite a bit of size on Scola and was a solid go to guy on the post. He knows how to keep the ball moving and flowing like Scola. If he was a premiere the Rox couldn't afford Howard, Harden and him.. But just a notch below and under the radar gives you a chance under the cap to contend with a better than average 7 footer like Dmo.

18. malakas

malakas Member

If DMO doesn't get a max offer sheet next off season I will be shocked.

19. kanggang

kanggang Member

Dmo - if the next two years he can be a player a caliber of not quite David West or Paul Milsap, but perhaps a Nene or David Lee type , borderline allstar sort of thing, that would be enough to keep a healthy Rockets in championship contention

20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Although obviously this doesn't prove anything, he definitely scored more this season with Dwight injured. You could attribute this to other factors such as his overall development or hot shooting. Regardless of how effective he is playing alongside Dwight I don't think he will ever score enough to be an All-Star.

Games 1-11: 5.3 pts / 5.3 rbs
    Games 12-22 (Dwight out): 15.2 pts / 6.8 rbs
    Games 23-44: 12.1 pts / 5.9 rbs
    Games 45-70 (Dwight out): 13.6 pts / 5.7 ribs

Overall 2014-2015: 12.0 pts / 5.9 rbs

#40 bobloblaw, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015