1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Rockets expected to try to bring back Jason Terry next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, May 26, 2015.

1. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

I'm sorry, but I still don't like him.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm sure they will take him back as one of their vet min guys, but Jason needs to be prepared to have to wait around a bit at the start of free agency.

If a team comes in early with their BAE it might be too good of an opportunity to turn down for Jet.

The Rockets have a laundry list of roster issues to sort out come that first week. He's going to have to wait, or take another offer somewhere else. Also I wouldn't be shocked if Cuban tries to get him back with a portion of their MLE after they make other moves.

I love what Jet has brought this year, but I will not feel the least bit sad if he walks in a beneficial basketball situation, hopefully out East. Morey cannot continue to give McHale comfort food options if he's either making a trade, drafting, or signing a clear upgrade in talent. As a GM you have to know when to pull the security blanket from your coach. As a leader on the bench/locker room I'd love to bring him back, but if we know McHale is going to be in a situation to dictate veteran trust over talent, then Morey needs to be aware of that, and let him walk.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Jason Terry has been moderately surprising this season. Not great or anything, but has given us more than I think any of us were expecting earlier this year.

I hope that we are able to upgrade at point this offseason. Priority #1. Trade T-Jones and draft picks for starting caliber PG (I don't know who. Ty Lawson?). Then have Beverley come off the bench. Bev would play less minutes, decreasing his chance of being injured, and would be able to play as high energy as he can for 15-20 minutes a game. Then Terry, as long as he signs for vet minimum, would be a great 3rd string PG/veteran for our team.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Would definitely love to have him back for the vet minimum.

5. stab

stab Member

In a back up capacity I have no problem with this

6. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Hope Terry stays and then is added to the coaching staff.

GO Jet !

GO Rockets !

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd like him back for the vet minimum as a leader in the locker room and someone who can give the Rockets 10 minutes a game. He's being asked to do too much out there right now.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Love to have him back...at the right price, of course. He's a huge reason we are where we are right now. I don't think Terry is delusional enough to think he's getting anything more than the vet minimum anywhere. It just comes down to where he thinks he'll have a better chance to win and that would likely remain the Rockets.

9. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

THIS!!

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe, but not in the rotation if Morey can help it, but like the 10th player.

DD

11. hvic

hvic Member

He cant guard faster point guards and I hate how he does that stupid push in the back when they pass him up.

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

A role for a team leader is important, an example of Deke during the Yao and Tmac time.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Actually, there is one team I could see giving Terry more than the vet minimum. The Mavs. They'll have plenty of cap space if they can't lure a big name free agent. I'm sure they'd love to have him finish his career there. And Cuban has a tendency to overpay in order to steal the Rockets' free agents.

14. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

"He's done an excellent job bringing myself and James [Harden] closer as teammates and also as leaders of this team."

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If you can add Llull or Lawson then Terry as a backup for 10-15 minutes a game for the vet minimum would be fine.

Beginning to doubt Bev will be back at all, he's going to want more money and the Rockets won't give it to him, wisely.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah Terry is 37 years old he is pretty much replacing Francisco Garcia role.

17. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I thought last night's crew actual did a decent job in pointing out a lot of no calls on (mainly) Harden drives through the lane. There were many that were missed in that regard.

18. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

LOL, love Jet as much as the next guy, but he would need to win the next 2 NBA MVP's and save a baby out of a burning building at this point to even be close to being considered as a HOF at this point.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We're getting better at point guard this offseason. And the way Morey fills out rosters these days, we have Capella's and trade-friendly bodies like Papa filling out the bench. There might not even be a spot for him when it's all said and done. I'm fine keeping him but I'm also fine not letting the next Tarik Black or Robert Covington walk with nothing to show for it.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Unless he is looking for multiple guaranteed years, then his salary is irrelevant. It might even behoove the team for it to be above the minimum.

We have his bird rights so we don't have to worry about MLE dollars to sign him.
    We are going to be over the cap regardless, so we don't have to worry about his money putting us over.

If the team wants him back then I don't think money is going to be an issue at all.