1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LAST PLAY Harden missed Terrance Jones for the easy layup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cbs1507, May 22, 2015.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Let the what IF club begins.

So let me join in on the fun.

If it was Golden State in that position they would have scored and won the game by 1.

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Second guessing this is ridiculous. They made a good defensive play at the critical moment. There were a dozen other moments where we made mistakes or where the calls were atrocious that shouldn't have let us be down at all by that point that could be argued, but this one in the end just didn't pan out. Harden can't be hanging it on that, yeah, would have been nice to get a shot off, and probably he didn't know it was DH he was passing to in that moment of tension when they trapped him... or maybe he did and though DH would power to the bucket. Who knows?

What I do know is we overcame a lot to be in that game at that point, and GS is not nearly as formidable as they, and the rest of the world, likes to think, considering the mistakes we made during the game as well as the blatantly bad calls/no calls like curry's push screen, and that out of bounds debacle/scam.

I say Rockets in 7, maybe even 6 as that might be easier than letting one slip and hoping to win there in game 7. I'm thinking we'll win at home by more than they did, and come back to GS with a great deal of confidence to steal the next one there. If we hold home court and take the next GS game, the momentum will be off the chart. That said, just because they can doesn't mean they will, and gotta start with the first game at home. Let's hope they win it decisively.... the good thing is, they've showed they are just as good a team as GS and that's saying a lot the way everyone in the media keeps talking.

3. alethios

alethios Member

The other option was when Harden passed to Dwight, he could have run behind Dwight and used him as a screen to get off a shot. Still playing what-ifs though, so it is what it is.

4. rm365

rm365 Member

I guess a bounce pass might have worked. Oh well. There will be many more opportunities to win. Golden state is beatable.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Don't matter now. Let's forget about it.

6. giddyup

giddyup Member

I'm not complaining about a lack of substitution, just pointing out the obvious limitations of D12's game. I believe D-mo is still in street clothes.

7. kunene

kunene Member

IF the warriors would have scored, we would have been forced to call a time out, run a play for a step-back three for Harden, get the and-1 and win the game.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Reality is the only way to learn is by going through tough experiences. Next time the team is in a similar position, Harden will ace it

9. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

That hurts a ton watching that again and again... So much opinions Harden had. But you can tell he wanted to take the last shot.

10. biojayc

biojayc Member

Very painful to watch! I wonder if Harden though he needed a three and was trying to get it open or something. He didn't attack the basket at all. Wish Dwight had called a timeout for sure. Great game either way. Was painful being the only Rockets fan amongst a GS crowd..

11. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

It would've been a turnover since you can see thompson nearby and he might have picked off the pass if harden was to pass towards terence.

12. LG1200

LG1200 Member

The spacing was bad. Ariza NEEDS to sprint to that left corner. He does that and it'll draw Steph Curry out of the double team.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

this ^^^

When he was trapped, I would have lived with a contested jumper. Howard was rolling to the lane and could have gotten a putback.

Next time, James, just ask: "What would Kobe do?" He should have no fear nor conscience. If he had shot over the first double-team with everyone still scrambling, I think we would have had the result we wanted--either a make or a putback.

14. PJ86

PJ86 Member

There is several people who made crucial mistakes in those 3-4 seconds:
    - Ariza brought Barnes with him to Harden instead of going to the right
    - Brewer, TJ & Dwight all were in the paint at the end. Brewer should've been in the right corner for at least a shot at the 3.
    - Dwight gave the ball up and didn't do anything else to help
    - Harden dribbled to the left where it was easy to be double-teamed instead of going through the middle to maybe pass it off or do the euro step etc.

I'm not blaming anyone, it was just unfortunate and there's zero blame to Harden and McHale. Can you imagine how the media and you guys would've reacted had Harden tried to go on the fast break and call a freaking time-out with 2 Warriors trailing?? Seriously...even with Howard, there's only 2 seconds left so no, you trust your MVP!

15. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Dwight should have just wet a 3. I think he got scared

16. solid

solid Member

Can't pass to anyone when you are being mugged by two players.

17. giddyup

giddyup Member

THIS. The real mistake was made when Dwight "shot" it right back to a double-teamed Harden who had not gotten any separation from anyone.

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

I should not have watched the final play. And I should have never watched ESPN. **** losing.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I've mentioned in a couple times in the main game thread. Jones would have been money with that layup. As many faults as he has he's really good as making crucial bank shots in not only that game but all season.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

Harden did all he could. You live and die with your best player. Very proud of his performance.