1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Terrence Jones ASAP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beardaholic13, May 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I seem to recall threads about how wonderful Jones was when he had that streak of great games both before and after the nerve issue.

What separates the stars from the non stars is consistency. Jones looks amazing sometimes and other times not so much. Ariza, Brewer, Smith, Dmo, also suffer from this. They are good role players but they are not Harden or Howard.

Role players have bad games, let's move on.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Are we supposed to just wave pom poms around and say everyone played a perfect game? BTW nothing we say has an effect on the actual game.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even Harden or Howard will have bad games. That is natural.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's not about bad games. It's about what Jones consistently does poorly. He's a lousy finisher around the rim. And he doesn't do a good job boxing out for rebounds. If he was a finesse big man who was more comfortable shooting jumpers, I could accept that(especially in the Rockets system). But that's clearly not the case with Jones.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He da real MVP of this game

6. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

He doesn't have the desire to be great. He may be contract year great, though

7. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

He's been a headache since as long as I can remember. I feel like he tries too hard to be good at everything when he's not. Atleast capella is excelling at the one thing he's good at and that's finishing at the rim and defense. Jones is clueless at times and is really hurting us with his inconsistency

8. basketballholic

He has no trade value at this point except as salary match. I'm pretty sure we couldn't even get a late second rounder for him now. So much for "3rd best player on the team" and "I shoulda played Jones more."

Here's some numbers for your perusal. And they are sick. Because they do not even begin to explain Jones standing around defensively and doing absolutely nothing. Box out? Dude is a ball-gawker. No awareness is the understatement of the year.

Terrence is now shooting 41.7% from the field and 13.33% from the 3-point line in these playoffs. He has a TRB% of 11.5% which is abysmal for a power forward. He's attempted 53 shots at the rim and had 12 of them (22%) blocked.

And to top it all off...here's the team +/- numbers for the playoffs after this game.

Smith +7
    Harden -12
    Howard +18
    Ariza +23
    Jet -12
    Brewer -11
    Pablo +2
    Capela -5

JONES -19

And he's played the 6th most minutes and has played more minutes than Smith. I just shake my head at McHale. He goes back to Terrence over and over and over and over and over. And there's never anything to get. As far as I'm concerned Jones proved tonight that you can't put him out there when GS goes with Draymond at the 5. Twill be interesting to see if McHale keeps running him out there against Draymond. The only Warrior that Jones can possibly match up positively against is David Lee. And that is largely an unknown. But he sure can't match up with anybody else GS throws out there.

We're back to the Clippers and Blake. Draymond is another Blake. Jones can't check him. Gotta have Smith on him. Hopefully McHale figures it out before game 5.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why don't you look into that fact that he has been missing for most of the season.... and he has come back decent yet not as strong as in the past year.

I think that is natural as well. It takes time to get into the best playing
    shape of your career.

I know he has lot of flaws yet he is young. I do not mind him traded but THIS IS CLEARLY A KNEE JERK THREAD by some Noob poster.

10. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Hes avg 11 points on 43% shooting and 5reb in 25 min of play in the playoffs....
    He's consistently bad and as PF to average 5 feb in 25min is disgusting and 43% on shots that are 5 feet in? then tell me what he actually does that benefits us? and don't forget we played dallas who have no PFs

Did he save our season with the third quarter display.. he helped a lot sure, but it was josh smith and brewer that did the real damage while he's on the bench in the 4th
    I just hope mchale realizes his lack of ability and stops playing him 25 min a game unless he comes to rebound ....al i ask is to man up and rebound NOTHING else and ill be fine with that but he can't even box out harrison barnes FFS

11. malakas

malakas Member

LOL that's hillarious.

12. basketballholic

Teams like GS are just too smart. How many times dow we have to see Terrence catch the ball at the 3-point line and see Draymond or Iggy just peal back totally into the lane and absolutely double triple and quadruple dare Terrence to jack it. Then Terrence throws a shot fake and the only person that bites on his shot fakes is HIM!

We've been watching this for 2 years now. How much more you gotta see?

13. newAge_Rockets

He's never learned to shoot. Compare him to DMo. DMo wasn't born nearly as athletically gifted as Jones, but he worked his butt off to add strength, LEARN defensive rotations, and develop an elite offense. DMo has shown the desire to be great, and the ability to improve each year.

Jones has proven to only rely on his freakish athleticism. He is always late on defensive rotations, he doesn't box out, and he can't grab rebounds. Not to mention he has never learned how to shoot.

DMo+Smoove for Rockets Power Forwards, 2015-16!

Unless LMA has interest...:rolleyes:

14. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

If anything, he's made it easy for Morey during the offseason. He's definitely the big that is the odd man out and certainly doesn't seem like we'll re-sign him. Can't shoot 3's, horrible defensive rotations in the playoffs. Josh has wayy more versatility and Dmo is a legit low post scorer. There is just no place for TJones on this team beyond this yr.

15. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Get out of here if you don't like this thread....instead of statistically or logically backing up jones play you came here to say aim a noob yet i can run circles around you when it comes to basketball knowledge....defend him go i dare you ill shut u down without throwing any insults believe that

16. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

we need dead eye shooter, how many times we see him pass up the wide open 3s. can't finish around the rim. and stop doing those pump fakes, it aint workin

17. newAge_Rockets

You were right the entire time.

18. ApuN

ApuN Member

Agree TJones is a facade

If he wasn't, his ass wouldn't have gotten benched.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think Smith being a free agent and D-Mo coming off of back surgery also made the decision easy for Morey. Jones is the only one he can possibly trade.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

I was really frustrated at that tonight. I know McHale does not trust the Rookie as much and dislike Smith for doing too much. But it was so obvious that Jones was losing it tonight and McHale still stuck w/ him. There were two stretches (one during that comeback run by the warriors in the first half, and one in the mid 4th), McHale should have taken Jones out. As I said repeatedly, Smoove was just his usual himself, good and bad, but Jones give us nothing and cost us the game tonight.