1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boards for a PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Olajumus Prime, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Olajumus Prime

I read this in another post, and was wondering just how many rebounds should a PG average a game, to me, more than 5 is pretty darn good, but who knows, right now, he may be looked upon to grab more boards, seeing there really arent that many rebounders on this team...

What other PG's are averaging more rebounds a game than Steve Francis?:confused:

2. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

Jkidd, and lebron will, but steve is an excellent rebounder, however many dont want him too because it hurts the running game. However i disagree, jkidd averages more reb than steve and every team he's on has the best fast break game in the league

3. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

IMO, the more boards a PG gets, the worse off the team is.
    If he gets defensive boards, he is not out on the break.
    If he gets offensive boards, it's more likely because he took the shot himself, otherwise, he would be up top passing the rock and then get back on defense.
    And if he is not the 1st back on defense, your SG or SF has to be, which mean the latter was not in the play originally.

4. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

As far as JKidd concerns, I don't know how he does it!
    It seems he rebounds then pushes the ball himself.
    On offense, his own missed shot seems to bounce high and long back to him a few times.
    Still, I don't know how he does it so well ?!!

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The guy who said that was kidding and or drunk when he posted that.

Carry on.

6. silent j

silent j Member

I tend to agree with this, however, Oscar Robertson averaged over 7 boards a game for his career, and over 10 for his first 3, I think. Also Fat Lever led the Nuggets in rebounds 4 years, one of which they averaged 116 PPG. If Steve pushed the ball like those two guys, it wouldn't matter if he pulled down 6 per game.
    j

7. dn1282

dn1282 Member

maybe he meant assists instead of rebounds.

8. Olajumus Prime

Yeah dude, you could be right, he could have meant assist...but still 6 assist a game isnt too too bad:(

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

This is one of Steve Francis problems hes looking for and waiting for Rebounds when he should be moving down the Court.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Kidd get's long rebound through hustle and then just lobs a long pass. Stevie's using his athleticism, jumping up to challenge Yao and Eddie for defensive boards, which hurts our already nonexistent running game. If Steve just limited himself to hustling his butt off for long rebounds and offensive rebounds, I'd be very happy.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Court sense.

Stevie has a lot of it, too (maybe he'll even learn to look for teammates to score?).

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm telling you guys, the statement that this thread is based on is not meant to be taken seriously.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the dude was kidding who made the comment. besides that though, hasn't steve averaged more rebounds than any other guard period over the last 2 years. i think only kobe has more.

i like how his .rpg are twisted into some kind of negative from his game. occasionally, and that's a key word here, he's a bit too aggressive but fact is he sometimes gets to balls that our bigmen just don't or can't. it's not a bad thing and i'm totally against telling him to hustle less. he just needs to be taught how to control all his athleticism, which will be done.

14. sydmill

sydmill Member

just another example of people hatin on steve....they would be killing him much worse if he did as they say and watched from halfcourt as yao and EG got out-muscled for rebounds. i still cant understand how steve is constantly made out to be the bad guy on his home message board. if there is anyone to blame for the current state of the rox it is management. they are the ones who hamstrung us with dead weight contracts to players who are now basically useless to us (rice, mo, mooch, cato, aren't we still paying for one of our pgs from 4 seasons ago?). steve francis and yao are our foundation, you dont tell a guy to go away from what has made him an NBA superstar. let me ask you all this, if steve is so full of himself then why bust your ass for the one stat most people dont give a $hit about? god i wish the season would start, atleast then some people who actually like the players we have come back.

15. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

NAME GP GS MIN PTS OFF DEF TOT AST STL BLK TO A/TO PF
    J. Kidd 80 80 37.4 18.7 1.4 4.9 6.3 8.9 2.24 0.31 3.7 2.40 1.6

NAME GP GS MIN PTS OFF DEF TOT AST STL BLK TO A/TO PF

S. Francis 81 81 41.0 21.0 2.0 4.2 6.2 6.2 1.74 0.51 3.7 1.68 3.1

Jason Kidd averages one tenth of a rebound more per game. Steve averages six tenths more of an offensive rebound per game. I don't see how the numbnuts on this board who like to bash Steve can compare the stats of SF and JK and not see that they are just about as valuable. Yes JK has intangibles such as good leadership that SF is still working on, but you have to keep in mind all the years of mediocrity JK had in Dallas and Phoenix. SF has been strong from the start and is much further along than JKidd at the same age.

Steve's rebounding demonstrates his dedication to helping his team win, just like Kidd's.

16. Juugie

Juugie Member

I agree, Steve is taking rebounds away from our big guys.

Just like Yao's passing is taking away from Steve's assists. If Yao would concentrate on rebounding and shot blocking like centers are supposed to do, Steve would average over 10 assists per game.

:rolleyes:

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You guys forget to mention Magic Johnson took a lot of defensive rebounds too. And he's one of the best fastbreak guy in history. Of course, Magic is taller than all PGs. But it just shows you that the PG taking defensive rebounds doesn't necessarily hinder your fastbreak.

The problem with Francis is that, unlike the other great rebounding PGs, he doesn't push the ball upcourt once he gets the rebound. And he being a poor decision-maker doesn't help either.

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

steve's rebounding is not a problem. steve not pushing the ball up court is a problem.

19. Olajumus Prime

yeah, I think its pretty amazing he even gets 6 boards a game being he is only 6'3.....it kinda says something about our big men who are way taller, and cant even grab 6 boards in 6 games...

who knows, now if he can bring up his assist average we will atleast be in the 5-6th spot come playoff time