1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets street celebration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 111chase111, May 18, 2015.

1. 111chase111

111chase111 Member

Guys when the Rockets were winning back in the 90s, after almost every game in the playoffs hundreds of fans would invade the Richmond strip to celebrate. When they won the finals that area was just insane.

Is anyone doing anything like that after the games for this run? If so, where?

I moved a few years ago to Chicago but will be in town and if the city is blowing up, I'd like to be a part of it.

2. Kim

Kim Member

The Richmond strip is not the same, or is it back again? I thought things moved Downtown, then to Washington, then to Midtown. I've been in and out of town, so I'm not sure anymore. The dream scenario is being at the game and wrapping it up at TC.

3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Celebrating will be done on Facebook and twitter.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

Man, you just got to ride around in your car with a buddy hanging out the window, waving a rockets flag, tshirt or Houston Chronicle Rockets Banner and honk the hell out of your horn. You're bound to find something going on, whether its Richmond, Midtown or wherever.

Worked in 95. Guaranteed to work in 15.

5. texanskan

texanskan Member

I would assume areas like midtown, eado, Washington, market square and rice village all could have potential for that. I don't see Richmond strip or Post Oak in the galleria being that way.

I prefer watching with friends and then going out after to bars

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

7. Poloshirtbandit

8. 111chase111

111chase111 Member

Guys, there were 1000s of people out after almost every game and during the finals and, after they won, it was probably closer to 10,000. This was not people just yelling out of cars on streets; Richmond was a parking lot.

9. heypartner

heypartner Member

Richmond, from the Galleria to Gessner, was a weekend drag back then, and the Summit being essentially on Richmond made it the obvious spot.

That's no longer the case. People don't drive Richmond on weekends like they used to any more than they do lower Westheimerm like in the '80s

There is no obvious spot, since the Rockets have never made it this far in the new stadium. I'd expect after the game people just leave downtown. But I'm sure lower Main St will be an obvious spot, if so if not more than Midtown. Washington will always be busy, but that won't be from people leaving the stadium

10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Reserve right across from HOB is usually packed with Rockets fans after the game. I went there yesterday and headed over to midtown after a few hours and I saw multiple people who said they were at the game.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Celebrations have been moved to Beechnut and Hillcroft.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Lyons and Lockwood.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

With the influx of people from other cities, most of the residents around Washington, Midtown etc don't have much affiliation to the Rockets

The party has shifted to Scott st and other ****ty places around SE Houston

14. rox1

rox1 Member

I second Reserve 101 and Midtown.. Went to Midtown after game 1 against Dallas, and games 1 & 5 against Clips. Was a good atmosphere.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

My front yard. Open invitation, like your momma. Come one, come all.

16. 111chase111

111chase111 Member

I'm staying downtown so I will most likely go to one of the mid-town bars to watch the game. If they go into the finals, Houston is going to need a place to go and celebrate...

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Good question. Anyone doing anything for tonight's game? I know the official party is at House Of Blues

18. Kim

Kim Member

So I'm talking to an acquaintance today about the game and reminiscing about the last championship, and he was telling me about Greenspoint where he grew up (and still lives). He said there was a corner store with all these coke 12packs in the front (because back then all the stores would leave packs of drinks stacked up outside...I think I remember this) and when the Rockets won the championship everyone in the neighborhood gathered around the store and grabbed the cokes and started spraying everyone. Somehow that devolved into throwing rocks at passing cars. He remembers it fondly.

19. HoustonRockets

Agree with this.

20. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Went to Lucky's after Game 7 last time.