1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ny times - big drop in percentage of americans calling themselves christian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Faust, May 13, 2015.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

This statement is not necessarily true. Some of said "same folks" have differing opinions as to how each of the topics you mentioned should be accomplished. However, because there is a difference of opinion from yours on how these things should be accomplished, those aforementioned folks are accused of being opposed. Is that not true?

2. Remii

Remii Member

"Humanity is man's greatest power but people refuse to use it. Some of the same folks in this thread saying they are religious are the same folks that will fight against things like free health care, educating children, taking care of the elders, and they celebrate meaningless wars."

The bolded part is part of that statement as well so it can't be excluded... And that statement may not be true at all because it's just one of my interpretation of what I get from the bible. But I don't care and or debate how it's accomplished... But seeing how you had a religious upbringing could you please explain why a religious person would care and or debate how it's accomplished.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Welcome back! Long Time!

Rocket River

4. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Miss Clutchfans, all the great people here, I'm trying to get back in some, but have transitioned to more time away from the computer.

Thanks Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Awesome post!!

6. mclawson

mclawson Member

I have a feeling there would be fewer Christians if they did read it cover to cover.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well said. Me too.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Fixed

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I see a decline in religion but not a huge cut. Because people still want their "comfort food" beliefs and hold on to them, even if they're fairy tale not based in absolute truth.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is this another internet atheist circle-jerk thread?

Signed,

Atheist on the internet looking for someone to jerk him

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sexism is a reoccurring theme in the Bible and the Quran. Hatred of others is a reoccurring theme more so in the Quran but to a smaller degree in the Bible also.

Of course for individuals during the era and the culture the Bible and the Quran were written, sexism as we see it today was not sexism. So, the writers of the Bible and the prophet of Islam were not relatively inherently 'evil' compared to their peers. They were just products of their time and culture. However, the issue arises when followers of these faiths believe that these holy books provide a objective moral standard. As a result, you have a bunch of fools equating objective morality to nothing more than just following moral standards of a bunch of desert nomads in 600AD and earlier which would be obviously incompatible with modern moral standards.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How about a dutch rudder?

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

that's cool.

I'm not exactly sober myself.

cheers.

14. Faust

Faust Member

there are no objective moral standards