1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ny times - big drop in percentage of americans calling themselves christian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Faust, May 13, 2015.

1. mclawson

mclawson Member

Hand waving. Got it. Typical and expected.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You were referring to commandments. Very narrow.

3. mclawson

mclawson Member

Not just the 10 commandments, judgements, and statutes. All of them. No shellfish for you, shrimpy.

Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway. Deuteronomy 11:1

Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations ... an everlasting covenant. 1 Chronicles 16:15

1 person likes this.
  4. Remii

Remii Member

I'm not surprised you would consider being enslaved, raped, and murdered while having a religion forced on people to the enjoyment of eating donuts. :rolleyes: And religiously obedient Black folks would agree with you... Just like the house negros who run to put the fire out when the master's house is on fire.

It's not just about what Whites culturally appropriated as you say. It's just that many Black folks are like the "people in Jerusalem waiting on a sign, God's coming SHE'S just taking HER time." Black Americans are the most devout religious group in this country and 83% of them are Christians (as of the 2007 religious senses)... And what has it gotten them...??? They'd be better off investing in donut shops, shoe shops, or some type of other businesses, and education ---> stuff that will actually benefit the communities instead of these money grabbing churches.

You should ask questions because you and the other guy aren't part of that group (and or have a understanding of that group's history) to speak like you know about that group.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Well you got to eat, you get to experience different cultures and places when travelling, you don't walk around barefoot, and there are educational and developmental games... I'll take things more beneficial than religion for a thousand Alex.

Fun game. Let's do it again sometime...

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is a weird statement. First, investing in donut shops and being religious aren't mutually exclusive. Also, religion doesn't cause the predicament that people are in. I mean, it could, like in the case of radicalized Muslims. , but it certainly isn't clear in this case. There are many religious groups that are doing quite well thanks to religion (Mormons).

Also, what % of income goes to Churches? You're arguing people are poor because they give too much to their church?

7. Mr. Clutch

You were socialized to believe all these things though. Many cultures walk around barefoot and are just fine.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I was actually just randomly describing stuff I don't like, using the same false attribution you idiotically do anytime you're not busy attacking jews.

9. Remii

Remii Member

I never said religion caused the predicaments many Black people are in... If anything you can take from my post that these religions Black folks are worshipping are not going to help get them out of the predicaments they are in.

I'm specifically speaking of Black people and you're bringing up one of the whitest of all religions. Lol.

And are you sure they are doing well specifically because of religion?

Poor and low income Black people give enough so multiple churches can survive in their neighborhoods and may have one or two beautiful churches that look like they belong in a higher income neighborhood. That money could go towards a business (or businesses), learning centers, etc ---> things that better serve the community.

And no, I'm not arguing that people are poor because they give too much to their church. I'm saying many are wasting their money by not putting it to better use.

And also the Bible says the Lord doesn't dwell in temples built by man. So many of these religions are about "Church" and not about "God."

10. Remii

Remii Member

My discussion isn't about what I don't like. It's about the negative affect of religion on the Black American community who's families have been here for generations.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How many Muslims and Christians would immediately stop being Muslims and Christians if there was this hypothetical device that could generate a 2 hour flashback movie of the exact moment where their direct ancestor became a Muslim/Christian?

12. Mr. Clutch

How many atheists would become religious if that happened?

13. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

I think young people need to be educated in elementary and high schools and about the cultural beliefs and values of all religions, (including Christianity, Judiaism, Islam etc.) and then be given the opportunity to think critically about what they personally believe or do not believe in, regardless of the views of their family and community

Perhaps this decline in American Christians is a sign that this is beginning to happen.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Disagree. Religious or non-religious teaching should be solely at the discretion of the parents - and solely (soul-ly?) the parents. Schools should engage in education and parents should engage in the moral development of children.

Religion, when based on the values of a loving God rather than the transference of human frailties ascribed to a wrathful God, promotes values that transcend facts and figures. A sound moral compass helps children (meaning all of us) use those facts and figures for the advancement of humanity. A flawed moral compass points us into the morass that plagues the world.

Of course, this is not a popular view on the board, but so be it. It's mine, and I am at ease with it. By the way, I never believe anything in the New York Times. They have an agenda -- and a penchant for journalistic dishonesty -- with which I cannot agree.

15. Faust

Faust Member

well i disagree with you. my parents knew jack shet about christianity but they pretended like they did and taught me a lot of wrong stuff. also i went to a small christian school which also flat-out lied about many things too. ive been reading about other types of christians like romanian orthodox, coptic, church of the east etc. how can schools teach what happened in europe from 500-1500 ad without getting into religion? also i been meeting a lot of agnostic people who are more loving and tolerant than many christians i know my whole life. your view would be more popular if you had evidence and data and studies to back it up. also what's wrong with the new york times? who doesn't have an agenda? what newspapers do you read whose journalists are better than them?

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Unfortunately, your views -- and I am not disputing them -- are more prevalent than mine. I was fortunate in that I had magnificent parents and grandparents who first implanted religious beliefs and then disputed them with hard questions that forced me to study to understand exactly what I believe -- and why.

God is not a concept you can prove or disprove. Belief -- or non-belief -- in God is precisely that ... very like the concept of nothingness after death or eternal life after death or reincarnation. Hence, "evidence and data" are absent and therefore are inappropriate school subjects. However, I can see the forensic inspection of various religious materials at the collegiate level.

As for the NY Times, please look up their history. For example, one of their reporters won a Pulitzer Prize -- followed by the embarrassing revelation that the story was entirely fiction. That has been the Times' repeated history. As for my news sources, I read a wide variety of liberal, moderate and conservative media -- and then formulate my own conclusions.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Having a very general understanding of the *history* of world Religions is great for the public. So many people don't know anything about other religion except what their parent or community teaches, if at all anything.

Probably never going to happen, because history is damaging to too many views.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hell, I'd say that 80% of most Christians have not read the Bible Cover to Cover
    (I maybe being a little high)
    I dunno enough people in the other religions to make such a claim

Rocket River

19. Remii

Remii Member

I think many young people are more concerned about this life instead of buying stock in the afterlife. And they are probably paying attention to the religious affiliated adults and how hypocritical they are. Just because people say they are religious doesn't mean they are. Humanity is man's greatest power but people refuse to use it. Some of the same folks in this thread saying they are religious are the same folks that will fight against things like free health care, educating children, taking care of the elders, and they celebrate meaningless wars.

And a strong case can be made that the entertainment industry is helping pulling young people away from religion as well.

And probably 80% of the people who do read the bible probably can't interpret it for themselves and the bible leaves a lot left up for interpretation.

1 person likes this.
  20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I would like to see the percentage of people calling themselves Christians drop to 0
    I would also like to see the percentage of people living like Jesus Christ increase to 100

GO ROCKETS!

2 people like this.