1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hi Rockets fans

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by clippy, May 18, 2015.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah Jamal really hurt you guys. Said it in the game thread when some people were freaking out that he started to hit some shots. He takes it away from Blake and CP3 and hurts the offense so I was just fine with those shots.

As for Smith...I have no idea. He's done this in the Dallas series too. It must be pretty demoralizing for teams because they are told to give him that shot and then he starts draining it as if he's part of the Curry Family. Then when he does that he becomes unguardable for that stretch.

It comes and goes...but this season it seems to come whenever the team needs it the absolute most.

2. SeabrookMiglla

i dont think cp3 is a choker, he came out to play for game 7. hes a hell of a player,top 10 and probably top 5. but its a team game, and teams win and lose together. hell tmac never left the first round, doesnt mean he wasnt a great player before the injuries.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I see one on 4/27/2014 that has your username on it, but you wrote you were doing it for another account: "donation from clippy for LosPollosHermanos". Email me if I've missed a contribution. Thanks.

4. clippy

clippy Member

Haha no worries, first one was probably 8 years ago! You should let everyone edit their posts though.. I have a lot of typos!

Jamal is a polarizing player.. he can win games almost singlehandedly and did so in the Spurs series, but he can lose them that way too. He's an underrated passer when he chooses to pass too, but he's such a sieve on defense that when his offense isn't going (like it wasn't this whole series.. did y'all see that funny stat when they showed he was shooting like 25% in the last three games compared to his "impressive' 35% int he first four?), well that hurts big time. I don't think the Clippers can get anything for him though.

5. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Why would you ever donate for LPH? Dude is one of the worst posters on this site and is super anti-Morey in his schtick. Completely disappeared despite Clutch City 2.0 being revived.

Anyways best of lucky next year Clippy.

6. clippy

clippy Member

Don't remember, maybe cause he was anti-Morey lol. I hate Moreyball.

Y'all need to do to GSW what we did to you in game 1. They are definitely overconfident and probably think Memphis was a tougher test than you'll be (just like the Clippers did with the Spurs).

7. i3artow i3aller

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks clippy, classy appearance.

9. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Good analysis and good to see a realistic point of view from a Clippers fan. Indeed your bench play was not there or not used by Doc a lot, which I can't really blame him for, which is exactly the edge I thought we would have before the series: depth. You cannot rely on Rivers, fat Davis or old Turk. Jamal & Hawes I thought would be key for you guys, but they were rather disappointing.

Doc as a coach is fine, any coach as a GM is just not smart so they need to hire a GM. Clippers will be solid next year, but moves need to be made for another wing and a big off the bench. It's also luck, our bench was not that great either before game 5/6 so we could've been talking about how great Jamal & Rivers were for you guys and Josh & Brewer / Terry / Prigioni not so much for us.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Honestly, I have no idea how you can keep it all together, OP breh. I would go total ape poop if the roles were reversed and the Rockets blew a 3-1 in the same fashion. Then I'd probably hate the Rockets forever.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Props to the Clippers fan who registered in 2002. No bandwagon there.

12. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Classy post. I wish we came back from 3-1 against a perennial powerhouse (SA, OKC, LAL) instead of the Clippers. The non-bandwagon fans in LA do deserve to taste playoff success. You still have Blake Griffin for many years to come so anything can happen in the future.

13. AXG

AXG Member

Thanks, Clippy. I kinda figured that was the case...

14. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

These are my fave types of thread so shout out to Clippy.

I gained a little more respect for Chris Paul even tho he was already highly respected by myself as the best point guard in the league for many years. This is another case of how tough it is to win in this league.

Griffin is definitely the future and my brother and I had a discussion about Griffin and Davis. It was a tough choice but we both went with Davis due to his length and the impact he has on both side of the court.

15. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Every sports fan must have felt sympathy for Clippers.

I think that clippers bench isn't that much of a problem as much as role players (Reddick, Crawford) weren't given much time and space to warm up and be ready for the end in game 6. And they continued that in game 7.
    But of course, everybody is general after the battle..

Hats of for your post Clippy.

16. clippy

clippy Member

I would trade Griffin for Davis in a heartbeat and I think every other GM (except probably Doc) would too. The only thing Griff does better is pass, but I'd personally rather he shoot more than be a "point forward". Davis is miles ahead as a defender and Griffin's inability to guard Smith this series killed the team.

Not that Griffin doesn't have a bright future.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Reps for a classy post.

I would not feel bad about your team's postseason run if I were a Clipper fan. Clippers had the toughest 1st round opponent and that was a wonderful series. It took all their energy and health to win, though. Coming into this series, if the Clippers were fully healthy, I think they beat the Rockets. But as it was, I felt the Rockets would win the series because of health.

Clippers definitely wanted it more from the get-go. Up 3-1 and Paul didn't play in the first 2 games, hobbled in the next 2, most objective viewers would call the Clippers heavy favorites. However, due to their health and poor bench, they couldn't fall into a series of attrition. That was their downfall as the Rockets had more bodies and found the energy to contest the series facing elimination.

18. clippy

clippy Member

I doubt it. The Clippers are pretty universally disliked for a few reasons. There is the flopping narrative and some arrogant players. Also, half the fans in the NBA are "Laker Nation" (currently "Warrior Nation") and for some odd reason Laker "fans" have an inferiority complex about the Clippers despite he embarrassing difference in historical success. Although in this series this was somewhat mitigated by the bandwagon's hatred of the Rockets.

True sports fans surely recognize the pain of this loss, much as they did for the Spurs in 2013. Hopefully the Clippers can make a similar redemption.

19. clippy

clippy Member

Haha I bet you'd feel pretty bad! It sucked! If both teams were healthy, I'd give it to the Rockets. You guys were missing key players that probably would have carried you to 60 wins this year. The Clippers were relatively healthy all year and going into the playoffs. What hurt us is Doc's fumbling of the roster where he traded away our entire bench for scraps, even giving away picks to do it. We could have had Pierce or Ariza instead of Hawes, who didn't even play. Coach Doc wasn't much better, giving Crawford way too long of a leash and using Baby Davis in a series where he clearly didn't belong. I credit him and the Clippers for getting this far, but this is just not a team built for long series(es).

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all- Thanks for the classy post. I think you guys have a core you shouldn't give up on. Doc included.

Second of all- I think even talking about trading Griffin is sort of futile. There are no conceived trades I can think about that give the Clippers a better chance at winning a title. Just like Harden has his deficiencies, and the Rockets fans rag on him for it, he's still the Rockets and their fans' best chance at winning a title. Same with the Clips and Griffin.

I think one area Griffin, and the team can really improve is seeing an improvement on the glass from Blake (or DJ allowing him to be under the basket more to get more boards) in order to get out and run more. I see a similar game to Charles Barkley actually with much more athleticism. Getting more rebounds just allows him to do more of what he's good at. At the PF spot if you have a PF that really can't defend like the elite guys can, you can help your team still by being an elite rebounder. He showed promise early in his career. Not sure why that declined for him.

At the end of the day, the Clippers need a GM more than anything. They need someone who can scour the earth looking for bargain players like Pat Beverley, Chuck Hayes, Danny Green, Patty Mills, etc. like the Rockets and Spurs have been able to do with their front office. You need to be buying 2nd round picks, not giving them away like the Clippers so often do. Take gambles on guys that fall under the cracks in the draft.

CP3, Blake, and DJ are a very good big three who are deserving all max guys. You gotta find those bargain undervalued players. And no veterans who were good in the playoffs in 2008 don't count as undervalued. Doc made roster moves based on WHAT HE KNEW. What a great GM needs to do best is make roster moves based on WHAT EVERYONE ELSE DOESNT KNOW.

I think your Clippers DO NOT have a "Very Foggy" Future as your ESPN writer guy wrote about last night in order to get page clicks. I think the core can continue to be a title contender, but could be reinvented easily. I think it starts though with thinking outside the box with building the rest of the roster out, instead of just going by what you know. Hopefully for the Clippers sake (I really wish they WOULDNT improve as a Rockets fan TBH) Ballmer is smart enough to see this line of thinking and makes a good hire for the GM role, and has Doc stick to coaching.