1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

better than vancouver? make the playoffs? R U serious?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hetero doxy, Jul 18, 2000.

1. hetero doxy

hetero doxy Member

in several recent threads, almost to a poster you guys predict houston will finish ahead of vancouver next year. why? i think vancouver has better talent than houston does, by a mile.

relatedly, do any of you seriously think houston will not be a lottery team next year? the rockets play in the western conference, fellas, and these playoff predictions you guys have posted weren't serious, were they? the only teams in the west i see houston superior to are denver and golden state.

i'll give major props to anyone who can argue the rockets are better than vancouver, or any other western conference teams except denver or golden state. no cliche's. no bull about rudy t's (drunkenly pathetic) coaching. something about the players- and the game.

[This message has been edited by hetero doxy (edited July 18, 2000).]

2. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

3. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

If we a) re-sign Mobley and b) sign Croshere, we will be better than Vancouver, IMO. Them adding Swift (who might very well turn out great, but probably not next year) while we added Croshere (a solid NBA experienced player) would not be enough to make up the 12 game difference between the teams--at least in the short term. If we do either a) but not b), or b) but not a), I still think we will probably be better than the Gizzards next year (very close call though), but down the line I would have to say they look more promising. If we lose Mobley (not "a") and don't get Croshere (not "b"), we will be worse than the Gizzards next year and outside of a huge happening next year (signing Webber, luckying out in the lotto) look to have a worse future as well.

------------------
    "The Rockets were ahead of the Suns by 20 late in game 2 of the series, but when the going got tough, we just Pippened . We would not be done in the series though."

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

why is there any reason that to belive the rockets will be a good team next year? the rockets finished the year our strong....they had to learn a whole new offense in mid season and also lost 15 or 20 games late in the 4th quarter....a few more breaks this year and they would have had another 15 wins possibly.....with a full training camp in this offense there is no reason to belive they can't be better

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Well considering that we just started our rebuilding, and Vancouver has been rebuilding since 1985 [​IMG], I like our chances. They may have a better team on paper, thats debatable, but we have better coaching and a better organization.

You post negatively on astrosconnection also. Do you hate all Houston teams ?

Anyways, gentleman's bet says that we will have more wins than the grizz.

Let's take a look at the talent breakdown though.

PG - francis vs. bibby - Like bibby, but 30 gm's (inc. vancouver) in the nba would take steve.
    sg - DIckerson vs anderson - anderson on D, Dickerson on offense. Maybe an edge to Van, but it is very close and I think shandon will get better on offense.
    sf shareef vs walt - not even close. adv. grizz.
    pf -KT vs swift - Swift looks like a stud, but Doug Smith/Randy White did also. We'll wait till the end of the year to settle this, but Kenny has a refined game and is a favorite of mine.
    C -reeves vs Cato/hakeem - I'll take our guys over Fat country thank you very much.

Not gonna count the bench, but I don't think vanc. is much deeper than us. If we get Croshere I'll like our chances a bit more.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ok, well lets turn around the tables a little bit. Rudy T is about the best coach in the NBA. Please explain how he coaches drunkenly pathetic. And if he does, why is he coaching the Dream Team this summer?

Also, how are the Clippers better than the Rockets? You bring in a high schooler who will be terrible in his rookie year, a couple of other unexperienced rookies, lose Maruice Taylor and Derek Anderson, and then are better than the Rockets? Please.

And really, I seriously think Houston will be a playoff team next year, and I would put a lot of money on that. Seriously.

------------------
    Member of the pro-Collier/Langhi movement. IN RUDY WE TRUST!!

7. hetero doxy

hetero doxy Member

i do think the rockets would make the playoffs in the eastern conference. i think they're a .500 team. i think their players are better than their system or coaching.

i just think the west is really loaded, esp the pacific, and i just love vancouver's starting 5. i think 6 teams in the pacific division make the playoffs, and only 2 in the central.

------------------

8. The Cat

Also, the Grizzlies will have basically the same team next year except for the addition of Swift. How could the Rockets last year be 14 games better than them? I seriously doubt that Stromile Swift single handedly makes up 15 games for the Grizzlies in his rookie season. And that would be if Houston had the same team as last year. Collier, Langhi, and possibly Croshere will make maybe a 10 game difference on our record. Not even mentioning another year to gel together for the rest of the team. So can Stromile Swift single handedly win the Grizz 25 more games or so in his rookie year? Don't buy it.

------------------

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

hetero...

Going on history, what makes the Grizzlies drastically different this year than in years past? Ooohhhhhh, an extra lottery pick! This is the year! Yeeee-hoooo!

Uhhhh....

Stromile Swift is an excellent player, and I'll even concede that the Grizzlies are a better team on paper than the Rockets, as they are with most of the teams in the NBA. Does that mean they're going to be in the playoffs? Hell no. Who on that team knows how to win in the NBA? Do they have a coach that will actually turn the team around?

Regardless of whatever the Grizzlies put on the floor, the Rockets will be better for one simple reason. I'll give you a hint: It's the same reason they beat most other teams that were better on paper at the end of last year.

Give up?

Rudy Tomjanovich.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

10. The Cat

I realize you like Vancouver's talent, and I can see why. But year after year they've had some nice talent. Bibby, Dickerson, and Rahim are all stars, and Harrington is solid. But they never seem to get it done, and are always at the NBA basement. Explain why next year they will be so totally different. And don't give me Stromile Swift- a rookie who is very raw on talent and will need some adjustment time won't immediately change the mentality of a team, the direction of the franchise, or give them at least 15-25 more wins. I don't buy it.

------------------

11. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

If we lose Mobley and don't add Croshere, Vancouver will be better than us. Vancouver sandbagged to lose 12 more than us, we won a lot of close games because of Mobley. These teams tables could be turned this year, but we will have to see how our offseason goes. I really don't like either teams playoff chances, unless we have Croshere as our starting three and Mobley as a 35 MPG 6th man-in the latter case I do think we have a chance for the 7th or 8th spot.

------------------
    "The Rockets were ahead of the Suns by 20 late in game 2 of the series, but when the going got tough, we just Pippened . We would not be done in the series though."

12. New Jack

New Jack Member

I don't think Vancouver will be 15 games better then they were last year but how do you know the rockets won't be 15 games worse then they were last year?

If Shandon or Steve get injured the rockets are in some serious trouble especially if Mobley doesn't resign.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

13. The Cat

You can say if so and so is injured bit about any team in the NBA except for maybe Portland because of their depth. Can you imagine the Lakers without Shaq? Or even better, the Jazz without Malone? Or Seattle without Gary Payton? All of them COULD be in serious trouble too. We're talking about if everyone is relatively healthy. And Mobley should resign- I don't believe he is a selfish jerk. If he doesn't, then we will move on. We will get someone to replace him, and hopefully bring in a Croshere as well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited July 18, 2000).]

14. The Cat

Not that Bill Walton is a genius or anything, but here's a little piece from Bill Walton's NBA mailbag at msnbcsports.com. Apparently he too thinks we may make the playoffs. And Vancouver isn't even mentioned? Explain why if they're so great.

------------------

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Good point New Jack, What if Shandon and Steve are injured?? They are our 2 main players aren't they!! That would make it majorly difficult for the rockets to adapt, it'd probably mean we'd have a real bad stretch of the year if our 2 MAIN PLAYERS WERE INJURED!!!

ok, for anyone who isn't understanding, let me explain. Our 2 main players before last season started were undoubtedly Hakeem and Charles. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but they both spent long periods of time injured and the team had a couple of bad stretches while they tried to adjust. Did the grizzlies have major injuries to Rahim or Dickerson or Bibby (undoubtedly their 3 best) - no they didn't. Did the grizzlies finish with a better record than the rockets? No they didn't.

Is there any reason to believe that the rockets will be so badly decimated by injuries again this season?? If they're not then they're a great chance at being a playoff team.

As for the grizz..... well.... I just don't know how to put a positive spin on it for them! Bring on another high lottery pick!!

------------------

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

"i think 6 teams in the pacific division make the playoffs, and only 2 in the central."

Rockets play in the MID WEST.

You lose...

------------------

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

hey, good topic hetero.

I think the odds of the Rockets making the playoffs are slim. Can't have any major injuries. Team needs to learn how to perform in the clutch. Hakeem needs to play better. Hell, almost everyone except Moochie and Bull need to elevate their game. And the Rocks need to either keep Mobes or pick up a key FA. All of that needs to happen for the Rockets to make the playoffs. I would excited if the Rockets played like Orlando next year. Play hard, even if they do just fall short of the playoffs.

And that Vancouver/Rockets thingie ... that's a toughie. I think if Cato and Kenny drastically impove themselves in the summer, Cato in particular, then I think Houston has more talent. And of course, if Mobes stays.

IMO, but I can see other people's point on saying Vanc has more talent, I just dont agree with them.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

18. treeman

treeman Member

Vancouver just underwent a change in management. Two of their players (1 - their best) have already said they want out.

Vancouver is actually kinda a sister team to the Rox right now; young and out of control. You say Rudy can't hack it ('drunkenly pathetic')??? Heck, Rudy could ram a tree at 65 Drunk and Disorderly - and still win a championship the next day. That doesn't have anything to do with it.

Even if Cat leaves for Toronto, I think this team has terror (as I call it - it's when the enemy KNOWS that you can pull some outrageous s*it...) Vancouver too has a good backcourt, but they don't have Steve...

And they don't have Shandon. This guy is a superstar waiting to happen. He does D beautifully; we're just waiting for him to make those 30ppg nights consistent...

Rudy is straight as an arrow. I was stumped by his picks, too (draft), but the more I learn about the two white towers he (CD) picked, the more I agree... (although Mobes is making it difficult)

Just be a Rox fan, and have faith that there is method to Rudy's madness... Is that too much to ask? Not, I think, from a REAL Rockets fan.

------------------

19. Tha Play Maker

the grizzlies? better than who?

hetero: the grizzlies are the clippers of canada.

get a clue buddy. [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Chris Webber fan club.

[This message has been edited by Tha Play Maker (edited July 18, 2000).]

20. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Doxy, get a life. [​IMG]

The Grizz were worst than the Rockets last year and they will be worst than the Rockets next year, and the year after that, and the year after that....

Do you see a pattern developing here?

Thr Grizz, no matter how much talent, will never even be a 500 team until they get a real coach. Who did they hire to lead them to the promised land? Sidney Lowe?!? [​IMG] This guy has a career record of only winning 25% of the games he has coached. What a joke!

Doxy , go back to what ever rock you crawled out from under until you get a real brain. [​IMG]

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust