1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most biased announcers ever ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MiketheRocket, May 15, 2015.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Tirico called an excellent game.

2. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

No, no, no, no no no no no.

I love JVG, he's the best there is, but, at the same time, Jackson is the worst there is. Forget the haters (Barry), forget the biased (brown) forget the awfulness (miller), Mark Jackson is pure cancer to listen to.

Why can't we get a Tirico and JVG cast? Why must they pair greatness with s**tness every game?

CWebb needs to call some games for us too.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

NO! NO! NO!

I can't stand more CWebb... I got enough of him in the NCAA tournament.

I second the call for JVG :) I miss him.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We haven't drawn JVG this whole playoffs.

5. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Barry was as bad as i heard, Tirico had no emotion in his broadcast because they were set for a clipper win. It was all set up, Clipper's first West Conference Finals, Paul first WCF, LA Media party etc! One of the most epic comebacks in NBA history and they couldn't even use ONE SOUND bite from their broadcast because our highlights were met with critics of why the clippers were allowing them. It's never good when you have to use the home teams radio play by play guys to get good exciting sound bites because the national guys weren't into for whatever reason.

I'm not one to bash national play by play guys. Hubie is fine with me, Reggie too but last night was something else....legendary bad lol

6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Jon Barry on espn radio in dallas. All he is talking about is how bad the Clips were .

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He was interviewed as a call-in guest by NBATV this morning. The disappointment in his voice, weariness aside, was palpable. Obviously rooting for the Clippers. Can't stand him.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

We cut him and he never suited up again ,maybe he blames Rockets for his exit from the NBA

9. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Nor do I. He's not an exciting guy, but he's extremely knowledgable, and he's pretty balanced in his analysis. I've been listening to this guy for like 25 years, and I've never heard his overtly root for or against any team.

Anyone who listens to Hubie call a game and thinks they hear him overtly biased for or against any particular team needs to clean their ears out ... and maybe stop looking so hard for things to be offended about. :rolleyes:

I roll eyes at most whining about announcer bias, but I actually thought Barry was pretty disappointing last night. I still like him from his time with the Rockets, but it was almost like he had big money bet in Vegas on the Clippers or something.

Now analysts on the other hand .... I don't know what Charles and Kenny have against the Rox but generally their comments -- even when the Rockets are good -- are disparaging. I still like them despite that, because of their place in team history.

#69 busta_cap, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Jon Barry, "We (Clippers)".

11. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Anyone catch Barry's comment after Tjones came across on D and tied up griffen for the jump ball ... " man that blake griffen sure plays hard "

12. MiketheRocket

MiketheRocket Member

I agree...

On Trico for the most part but I have never seen someone be as biased for one team as Barry and I felt like he was making no effort to hide it. I had to mute the TV several times.

13. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Dan Dierdorf may have retired, but Phil Simms still calls games.

14. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Tirico did a helluva job though with Jon next to him who gave him nothing during that run!!! Nothing to feed off of, which he is definitely used to with Hubie next to him haha :) Speaking of which, Hubie in the WCF would be aces because we will most certainly be the underdog!!

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

jon barry's thoughts on this thread.. "wow"

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

tirico was good. he got into it during hte comeback. barry wanted to take his mic off and cry on tirico's shoulders. then when tirico gets excited about the rockets he'd say "wow, you too? unbelievable!"

17. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Tirico was enjoyable to hear during the comeback but it was funny to hear Barry's " hmm " and bit of a whimper everytime the rockets scored.

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Tirico seemed excited for the play both ways and thats all you want from a network neutral play by play guy. I think a lot of posters overreact at the announcers supposed bias against the Rockets but thats just me.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Tirico was fine.

Barry was blatantly a Clipper fan, that's not selective hearing at all. He had little positive quips about the Rockets in the same manner that Worrell has something nice to say about the other team every now and then. It went a bit too far when Jones ran over and tied up Griffin which prompts Barry to effusively praise Blake's hustle. Terrence is the one that went and got it Jon.

As with the fanbase of every sports team, the Rocket's victim card is certainly overplayed, but there is usually a bit of truth in there somewhere.

20. YaoforPrez

YaoforPrez Member

The clippers going to the WCF is a dream storyline for ESPN. overcoming adversity/racism/sterling, Chris Paul and Blake griffin excelling, doc and Austin rivers - these easy story lines write themselves and ESPN will no doubt continue and try to capitalize on them. LA is a huge media market; I understand why ESPN would want the clippers to have success, it would generate much more revenue and better story lines for a much larger audience. All the LA teams are home teams for ESPN west coast studios, which is literally across the street from staples center.

That being said, there are commentators/analysts who are respected for their basketball insight and accomplishments. Then there are other commentators like Jon Barry. When the TNT crew was leaving for contract negotiations recently, Chuck was hilariously honest and said they were going to NY to kiss their boss's @sses. BArry is basically trying to kiss ESPN executives' @sses with his overt homerism since he has neither the personality like chuck nor the level of respect like hubie or JVG to be assured a long term career as a TV commentator. Barry will try to build any big national storyline, and the rockets just can't catch any national sports media interest like any LA/NYC/Boston team can. I can't really blame him, he's just doing a job and probably getting paid very well to do so. I understand what he's trying to do, but Its just annoying as hell from a rockets fan's perspective - especially when I used to root for the guy.