1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ban all bandwagon fans from Clutchfans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by King of 40 Acres, May 13, 2015.

1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Listen telling your wife that "it ain't over till it's over" and no I am NOT going to bed yet is a little bit tough. But well worth the Rockets Red Glare ! I remember calling all the yoyos and so called Rockets fans who hit the bed instead of watching the most thrilling game I ever saw, The Kiss of Death !

So I ain't goin anywhere ! Either clap and jump and down or get outta here ! Analysis paralysis and part time on line "experts" and "knowledgeable" posters be damned.

GO ROCKETS ! Thrill me one more time...and if you do Sunday Night might be the most explosive night in Houston History...except for 2 others of course.

2. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

But there is a difference ...most posters were saying we have no shot in this series before last night..abd were talking about off season moves while this season is still alive...or talking about boycotting games or booing, and saying this series is OVER.....big difference in that and just saying we played bad games 3 and 4....being a realist is one thing but over reacting is what most people do here

3. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

^Exactly.

I was disappointed in the play of the Rockets in Game 1 but that didn't prevent me from going to Game 2.

I was pretty upset with their lack of effort in Games 3 and 4 but that doesn't mean I would write off the rest of the postseason.

In fact, I'm glad everyone gave up on them after Game 4. Ticket prices last night were so low it made going and enjoying the game that much better. The same people who were dumping their tickets below cost last night will be jacking up their prices for a potential Game 7 because they know the bandwagon fans will be back in full force.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Seems to praise the Mavericks whenever he is given the chance and is negative about the Rockets, at least in the posts that I read.

Maybe I have a warped perspective? But seems like he has a bit of a troll streak. Like certain other people & TMac, for example. Except your posts about TMac are amusing.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Look who's talking.

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

There are multiple posters who should obviously have their thread creating privileges revoked for a year at least. This forum got downright pathetic this series. I'm not going to list the posters here, but just check the one-star threads since this series started and it'll be pretty clear.

To all the negative Nancy's out there...I hear Nashville is a great place to live. They have a football team there that deserves you guys.

1 person likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was in Staples Center in Game 4 and stayed at my seat till the 4th quarter was almost finished, with all the Clippers fans around me saying "Houston sucks."

I watched Game 5 from the very start even though I didn't expect it to be any better than the first 4 games.

I have been very critical of the Rockets throughout this series, still am.

Am I a bandwagon fan?

8. ibm

ibm Member

blind hommie fans are just as bad as bandwagon fans. and for the hommies to mentally take moral high ground is laughable. lol.

but i understand this is the reality of any sport. and many of us (myself included) have been to either or both ends of the spectrum.

peace.

9. MFG16

MFG16 Member

You're not describing Houston bandwagon fans, you're describing every bandwagon fan in any sport. I'm not disagreeing with you but every team has these fans. The only two exceptions I can immediately think of are Spurs fans or Atlanta sports fans. Atlanta couldn't even sell out tickets to the World Series. They don't even have a wagon.

10. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

I understand the distinction, but I suggest a third group: the Emo. Emo are eople who are so invested in this team emotionally that no matter how irrational, emotional or pissed off they are, they present their arguments after a loss as if well thought out and absolute truth that he or she believes in, while still watching almost every game and rooting regardless. So for example, I said this in another thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9760307&postcount=20

Pretty telling words and probably suggests I'm not a good fan and I wasn't even going to watch the game, boo them during the game, hoping they would lose or whatever. Trust me, that is not the case. Usually I get so pissed off about a loss (especially two in a row with little effort and quiting), I cannot express myself to my colleagues or friends as they have no clue about the game of basketball, let alone the NBA (live in Europe, Holland mind you ;) so this is the only place I can do it.

So while I do try to get my anger out, it's in a non-productive way, hoping people will feel the same and at the same time to be blasted because deep down I know I do not even believe what I'm typing. I guess most people cannot relate to what I'm saying, but I hope this makes people understand that there's no arguing with people like me after losses like game 3 & 4 and it's actually a good thing my starting privileges were taken away. I need to be protected from myself.

I've followed this team since 07-08 and will always be a fan. Sometimes I actually wish I could be less of a fan, because getting up at night while having to work the next day in the play-offs and even regular season is tiring, but I've been doing it and will keep doing it. People who know that I get up at night to follow a basketball team in another country from a town I've never even been or have connections think I'm crazy. I sometimes do not even understand it myself, how can one become this obsessed and emitionally invested in a team that I have no ties to.

Hope this helps, /end rant! ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with being a homer. That is arguably what being a fan is actually all about, passionate and unwavering support for your team. We always believe the Rockets will win until they lose. Being a bandwagon fan on the other hand makes you lower than dirt. "Fans" that are only fans when their teams do good are the lowest denominator. They are basically sheep who get excited because the people around them are excited.

12. J Hard

J Hard Member

''People are fickle''

I give credit and respect where/when due and criticism where/when due.

Just because a person has anger with their team doesn't make them a fraudulent fan, as true passionate fans we all go through every emotion imaginable. But the fakeness is bred when people defecate tirelessly to no end in losses and is ho hum in wins.

But this was a good thread, needed to sort of balance the ingrate threads on here.

13. ibm

ibm Member

there are bandwagon fans and there are blind hommie fans. to me they're equally bad. but of course this is all about personal taste. and there's no black and white standards in taste.

for me, i dont 'always believe the Rockets will win until they lose'. for example, i never believed the team could win anything in sf3 era, even with rudy t coaching. but i still watched every single game and rooted for the team.

i believe it takes certain elements to succeed (in jvg's words, talent, habits, health and luck) in the sports world - just like to succeed in society for we individuals. ideally, we'd like to see your team representing ourselves have all the elements so they have a fair chance to win it all. but this just doesnt happen too often in sports - just like in society for we individuals.

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Indeed:

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Disagree strongly with this. As a fan, you should always believe in your team to win or pull through until the bitter end. I am not saying one shouldn't be awarer of the odds, but you still need to believe. To me, it is extremely black and white; you either believe in them or you don't.

16. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

It's a good general rule to avoid posting (or writing emails or texts) when you are frothing at the mouth like a scared little child. Take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard. Nothing positive can EVER come from a post like the one you highlighted. It's just garbage taking up space. If you MUST post angry drivel, do it on a Yahoo article or something.

Negative thoughts and feeling are one thing. We all have those cause we're all human and Houston hasn't exactly been the most successful sports city in the past. Taking the time to pile onto a negativity fest full of obvious non-fans is another thing altogether. It's just loser behavior. No one likes hanging out with losers.

17. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

Lol we should ban that guy who made that James Frauden post 2 days ago!

18. ibm

ibm Member

ok, then. then we have to agree to disagree. like i said, i see it as a personal taste. i guess it depends on what one expects to get out of being a fan watching/participating a particular sport/team/player, too.

but,,, you're saying no matter how your team is constructed and performing, and no matter what the team's makeup (physical and mental) is, you'd always 'believe'. to me that's quite illogical. i just cant do that. and when i dont 'believe', i can still watch the game and root for my team with a passion. maybe to many that's also illogical? idk.

so it circles back to personal taste, does it not?

what i am against (not necessarily the likes of the op of this thread or fans like you) is the blind hommie fans taking a moral high ground.

peace. :)

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I honestly believe that what lowers GARM's quality is not the negativity. (I've always thought that whining about the whining is the most silly thing to do.) The real problem is the constant bickering about who is a "true fan" and the constant urge to label people "haters" "bandwagoners" "X-OF" etc.

Sure there are some obvious posters who fit these labels. But the generalization and the flaming and attacking just because someone makes a comment or have a view that agrees with those trolls are what make this forum a mess.

If you don't like those negative threads, don't click them. If you want to counter what they are doing, make some good arguments to show them they are wrong.

Different fans react to losing differently. And different fans have different preferences and priorities about what is important and what kind of a team they appreciate. Why do you want us all to act the same way? Why do you want "true fans" NOT to be pissed by awful performance of the team they love?

20. ibm

ibm Member

clap, clap, clap. well said.

i actually left this site for a couple years for the very same reasons...