1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Words of wisdom from Matt Barnes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, May 12, 2015.

1. Fantasma Negro

100% correct

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

It seems to be a Houston Sports tradition to give contract extensions to coaches and players right before they go into a free fall.

3. SemisolidSnake

Nah, he's right. I think the difference is that Doc Rivers probably contributed greatly to his team getting over that mental squishiness in the past year. The Clippers sought him out and acquired him through unconventional means, so that they would have an elite coach as well as a couple elite players, including one who's a fiercely competitive team leader who's also training another team leader.

The Rockets have no such structure for getting over their mental bugaboos, so you can't correlate with them. I wish Barnes had elaborated more on how they got from where they were to where they are. I think it would be enlightening.

4. hakeemthagreat

We won't be anywhere until we kill Moreyball and replace McHale. Anything else is irrelevant

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Moreyball and McHale don't take shots on the court.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Matt Barnes' other words of wisdom are "Suck my dick, b****!"

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Need a real coach to stay course. There is no course for us to say except "amped up", "more energy".

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Josh Smith will be back in Houston next season - ID13

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There is always the flip side of this. Some teams never make that next step, they wither away and then soon find themselves rebuilding.

The difference with the Clippers then and us now was they were at least competitive. We aren't even that right now we look and play like a joke.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

THEY HAVEN'T HAD CHRIS PAUL.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

My bad. I didn't realize it was Cliff playing the last two games.

12. New

They kept the same core and key role players. We... traded away Asik, let Parsons go and dumped Lin. asik would have been huge for us...

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We're more like how the clippers were two years ago. With a mental midget of a coach just itchin to be fired.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm not expecting a series win. I wasn't expecting a series win regardless of whether we played the Spurs or the Clippers. And honestly, I was perfectly ok with that. I understand that it takes a LOT to be able to take down teams like the Warriors, Grizzlies, Spurs, and Clippers. I just wanted it to take a lot to take down a team like US as well, and right now, that's not the case. It's not that we're losing.....it's HOW we're losing that's completely unacceptable. If this series were 3-1, with hard-fought games where we battled until the end, I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't have this bitter taste in my mouth. Right now, I feel like this team has just rolled over and died, and when you've got this much on the line, that's a ****ty way to go out.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

We were 3 years away from being OKC when we played OKC. So, if that assumption and Barnes assumption also holds, it all sort of makes sense.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The rockets have had a better season than last year. But if they lose tonight and just like last season... We're all left knowing that they could've and should've done more.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Oh come on. Asik would've just been another guy that would clang free throws off the back of the rim over and over. He didn't want to be here, and Morey did a hell of a job turning him into a first round pick. And Lin?? Seriously?? Stop it. Just stop it.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As I pointed out in another discussion, the Clippers' regular season point differential over the last 3 years were ranked 3rd, 2nd and 2nd among all 30 teams in the NBA. Those guys could legitimately argue that the Clippers have been a contender and just choked or ran into bad luck in the playoffs (injury to stars, matchup, etc.).

The Rockets are ranked 7th in point differential this year. This isn't bad at all, but it is a step below the very top teams. In the Western Conference today, it shouldn't be surprising that a team at the Rockets' level gets beaten, or even gets beaten badly, when facing one of the very top teams.

I am sure Morey knows that this team needs to take its talent level up a notch to become a real contender.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Matt Barnes for Rockets VIP....

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

But they had three core all-star talents already. It's easier to lock in spots, when that's what you're starting with. We're still figuring out the spots around only 2 all-stars. Asik is yet another player who is not very good on offense. We have enough of those.

CP is overpaid...Lin is Lin.

It's not like the Rockets didn't have good reasons to let them go. 2 of them were just holdovers from the "faster, younger, fearless" group. Only CP really fit with the new group.