1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Every NBA Game is Ref Dependent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 11, 2015.

1. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

You must not have watched very much basketball, then. Coaches have always been in the refs' ear trying to tell them what they think the refs are missing. It isn't whining, though. Refs don't reward whining. That would mean making a call that doesn't actually happen. You can call it a complaint, I suppose, but if the coach is calling attention to a rule violation that is going overlooked, then they are doing what they are supposed to do.

2. ibm

ibm Member

let me make a minor change to the title of this thread.

Every NBA Game is Ref Dependent [to a certain degree]

in the footnote (that usually is in fine print) it also says: usually not a deciding factor...

3. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

You can go to the Rec for free and watch a game played with more integrity. NBA refs are terrible but that has not changed and probably will not change in my lifetime.

4. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

It seems like we win every game Joey Crawford refs.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This will explain it to you .... in pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harden doesnt endorse the right products.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Pop always yell and complain to ref during games. He clearly value the impact of refs and doesn't allow bs calls to stand.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

McHale does not . . . .

Rocket River

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Houston Rockets: got their ass kicked at home when the other team was missing arguably their best player. Then, they got blown out of the building in back-to-back games.

Let's please not put this on the refereeing. We've simply been outmatched.

9. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

yesterday the refs sucks.
    Barnes run over Dwight. DH push Barnes. what the call. Dwight 1st foul
    dwight try to block Barnes, 3rd on Dwight

Jordan never recives that calls.

LAC are so far better than us but the refs sucks.

10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

You must work for ESPN/Disney. You must also watch TV News. You must believe everything that you see on TV and not question at all. You really think the average American has a voice on Capitol Hill.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Dwight's 1st foul was stupid on his part. So what he got chucked on a screen. Everyone does and sometimes it's missed. Instead of continuing with the play, Dwight felt compelled to go chuck Barnes back.

Do you think Tim Duncan falls for Barnes' physical tricks? The reason why trouble makers bait Dwight into committing retaliation fouls is because he has the propensity to lose emotional control and sacrifices team success for his own selfish emotional reasons. If he stopped doing that, people would stop f'ing with him. While missed calls can screw them, the fact that Dwight screws the team for 2 emotional fouls a game (just a guess) is on him. You have 6 fouls a game; the refs will probably mistakenly call 2 on him already. And the fact that he's the last defense means he's going to absorb a lot of contact anyways. He plays a high contact game. There's no room to lose cool and make frustration fouls like he does regularly bc he's on an already thin margin.

12. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I understand your point, but still, Barnes fouls Dwight first (and it was a very easu to see foul) and No call.
    the thing here is no the Dwight reaction, is the refs calls, and there were wrong. they should call foul on Barnes

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I agree that the refs missed a Barnes chuck. And even McHale yelled "call the first one" to the refs. It sucks as a Rockets fan. My only point is Dwight doesn't have to go chuck him back. It's not some Superstar skill not to lose your cool. It's not like his foul-shooting, where I don't blame him much. Big men with big hands have had a history of foul-shooting problems. This is a brain vs emotion problem. It's a flaw in his game and instead of hoping for the refs to be perfect (by the way, he fouls and they miss it too), it's better not to give away 2 fouls per game because he has trouble controlling his temper. It's not just Tim Duncan who can control physically retaliating. This part of his game can be improved more easily than others, and it would allow him to stay on the court more, and would lead to less people trying to F with him.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is setting the tone
    The tone was indeed set. .. THEY CAN HIT YOU BUT YOU CANNOT HIT THEM

Rocket River

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You cannot extrapolate that with one call, especially when there are many occasions where Dwight two-hand shoves on rebounds that doesn't get called too. It's simply a missed call. It happens in every game. It's fine to b**** that they missed a call, but it's not productive for Dwight to hit back right after. At least be a smarter vet about it and do it discretely. Dwight is acting like a rookie, and all I'm saying is he is old enough to know better. I don't expect him to have Duncan like defensive positioning fundamentals. I do expect him to improve not retaliation fouling as he gets older. Shaq did. He is his own worst enemy at times. Don't drink the kool-aid and think Dwight does no wrong. He losses his cool way too much that it hurts his own team.

Also, it wasn't a "you cannot him them message." They missed a foul. Why the F does Dwight feel compelled to go foul Barnes right back? Seriously? Is this boxing? Grow the F up, Dwight. Just continue the damn play and get in position to rebound. To make you're "you cannot him them message" legit, Dwight would have to be hit multiple possessions in a row and all the refs blatantly swallowing the whistle. This wasn't that case. This was the first minute of the game and 1 missed shove on a screen. There is no justification from a team standpoint to go retaliate shove the first minute of the game. This is about doing what's right for the Rockets team, not Dwight Howard's emotional sense of justice.

16. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

The refs have had a huge effect in this series against the Rockets.

On one hand, yes, the Rockets have not played well when the momentum is against them. But, we have to look at why the momentum went against them.

In so many cases, I have seen the refs swallow their whistle when the Rockets drive in and get absolutely manhandled. Then, when the Clippers go down the court, if the Rockets even breathe on Blake Griffin or Chris Paul, a foul is called. Many of these are pure anticipation fouls and the replay shows absolutely no contact.

The Rockets are getting hacked like crazy inside with very few fouls called. Rockets drive in and put up a shot, get grabbed and hacked, and the call is out of bounds against the Rockets. Nearly every freaking time.

The refs start pulling this crap, then Griffin makes a monster dunk, Redick or Paul bank in an unlikely three point shot and before you know it, the Rockets are down 10 or 15 points.

Then, the Rockets just fold and stop playing with composure.

Yes, part of the fault lies with the Rockets for not reacting better to these scenarios, but make no mistake, the refs are what allowed most of these runs to begin in the first place.

17. cruwinas_lawona

NBA games are manipulated by the refs. Sometimes refs are excluded from the outcome of the game due to extraordinary performance by a team or a certain player or players, but mostly - refs decide who will win or lose. Sad.
    It's funny, how TVs mostly don't show "questionable" calls or non calls and commentators sometimes have hard time to say anything about obvious disregard to the rules of game.

18. hvic

hvic Member

I understand the refs have a big take in controlling the game but the rockets need to stop bricking

19. chimera34

chimera34 Member

Here's my problem with the refs...the officiating changes between regular season and the playoffs.

By this, I mean that Harden would get foul calls in the regular season that he no longer gets in the playoffs. And I don't get why? The game is still the same basketball game, whether its the regular season or playoffs. Sure, the defensive intensity picks up and there is a higher level of play, but rules and fouls should stay the same. Why should something that was consistently called a foul in the regular season no longer be called a foul in the playoffs? It baffles me...

The problem is that a player like Harden molds their game specifically for contact and foul calls because quite frankly they are fouls, especially based on how the game is officiated these days during the regular season.

That being said, the Rockets are pathetic for letting poor, inconsistent officiating destroy their rhythm and motivation. A good team keeps fighting. A great team overcomes...

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The thing is that this offense is built around Harden driving to the hoop and either finishing , creating an open shot for someone else or FT's.
    None of that is happening because he has had to change his game so much due to the amount of contact the refs are allowing.

The bold is on the coaching staff for not making the right adjustments and taking advantage of the open shots the Clippers are allowing , mostly midrange.

Two ways to fix this -

A) Harden forces the refs to make the calls by continuing to attack every trip down the court. They have to start calling it right eventually .... Just hope you haven't given them a 20 point lead in the mean time off of transition buckets on no calls.

B) Take advantage of those midrange shots which normally aren't part of your system.

C) Keep doing what you are doing , lose by 30 at home in a close out game & hope like hell Les will eat that $12m owed McHale.