1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade of mutual befefit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sanjaylucknow, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

The Jazz are struggling to get quality free agents to even reach the NBA min pay roll of 32 million. How about Rockets sending Glen Rice and a future first rounder to Utah for 9.5 million trade exception. Utah get a future first rounder and 9.5 million to show on the pay roll, which will come off the next season, giving them roughly 30 million to play with in the free agent market in the next season. An important factor about Rice's salary is that although it counts approx 9.5 million in the cap space, the team owing to his rights has to pay only 6 million (because of the hefty signing bonus he received from the Lakers). By getting rid of Rice's contract Rockets can avoid the luxury tax and still sign Posey or can make a bold move and go for someone like Odom or SAR or alternatively can use part of the exception to package with Moochie for an expiring contract and save the rest for the future.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I am pretty sure there is no such thing as a $9.5 Million trade exception Sanjay bhai. :)

3. R0ckets03

Wouldn't they have to send us back unguranteed contracts to make it work?

Same way we got Snottie Quitten right?

4. Sanjaylucknow

All they need to send is a future second rounder.

5. Sanjaylucknow

We did not give anything substantial for Quitten. All we gave was, perhaps the rights for Roy Rogers.

6. R0ckets03

Well I am definitely no CBA expert, but I still don't think it can be that easy.

7. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Rockets are over the cap, so the value of all traded players has to be within 15% of each other. You can't just trade $10 million for nothing. What do you think this is, baseball...?

;)

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Actually, since the Jazzholes are under the cap, presumably by enough to cover Rice's salary, we can make this trade for minimal compensation. The 15% rule only comes into effect if both teams are over the cap, IIRC.

9. R0ckets03

Well whats the penalty if Jazz don't reach the minimum 32 mill?

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

if their problem is they can't lure any free agents to Utah, how does giving them more cap room next year solve that? they still won't be able to lure anybody to Utah. They're either going to have to trade for talent or aqquire it by means of the draft as they did with Malone and Stockton. i mean sure, some decent roleplayers who are just looking for any place with a pay check will go anywhere, but i really don't see how Utah could ever lure a huge name free agent. well at least not until there is a huge name free agent that happens to be white and mormon.

11. Possum

Possum Member

After looking at the list of free agents for next year I wouldn't do this if I were Utah. I wish they would but I can't see it happening.

Look at the list. There isn't a player on it worthy of a max contract except KG and he shouldn't be on it.
    http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents.php?year=2003

12. R0ckets03

Kobe is going to opt out of his contract. So he will also be a free agent next year.

Thats all besides the point anyways. I highly doubt players like Kobe and KG would even consider Utah. :cool:

They just need to wait for Keith Van Horn to become a free agent and they give him the max. Andre Miller this year wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Ostertag
    Van Horn
    Kirilenko
    Harpring
    A. Miller

Woo hoo!

13. cloudnine

cloudnine Contributing Member

Gotta tell you man, I read your threads for the same reason I watched the movie "Airplane"

14. MONON

MONON Member

And this thread is almost as funny!:D

15. Possum

Possum Member

And I go to tell you that I read you're replies for the same reason I slow down and look at accidents on the freeway. :p

16. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

Actually,after reading all the trade proposals on this board,this may be the most accurate or "achievable" of them all. The only real reason why utah wouldn't do this is because they would be helping a division rival, but after that, it is a really goood trade for both sides.

Utah:
    -Obtain enough salary to avoid the penalty
    -Rice is actually a good player when you consider their roster
    -They dont have to waste the money on 10 scrubs and really dont have to pay 9mill
    -Next year, if they have that much money,the situation changes. A real superstar wont chose utah possibly but when you can afford 2,that's a whole new thing.

Houston:
    -I almost know as a fact every single person on this board picks posey over rice
    -We gain trade advantage as we could use the exception for salary differences in trades(avoid the 15% rule)
    -We could also use that money on some other free agent to improve our team right now

I am 99% sure this is possible. Look at the spurs trade this week, they got mercer and turkoglu for just danny ferry, that's because of their cap space, salaries could be outside the 15% range

17. Sane

Sane Member

If the Jazz get Maggette, then they have 3 players playing the 3, as well as 2 playing the 2, and none playing PF.

I think they're more likely to take Mo Taylor a few games into the season. They can actually make Mo a part of their rebuilding, and consider him an FA acquisition. He's young and athletic, and locked up for a while, although admitedly for a lot of money. But who will join the Jazz for market value? the Jazz HAVE to overpay.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The deal as described is definitely doable. The Rockets are over the cap, but when you are taking back less salary, there is no restrictions. The Jazz would have enough cap space to cover Rice's salary under the cap, so it also works for them. Since we were taking back less salary, we would indeed get a trade exception for the difference. If we traded Rice for a 2nd round pick, then the trade exception would be for the amount of Rice's salary (since draft picks count $0 in trades).

The problem is that I don't think that exceeding the salary cap is the only reason that the Rocket's will let Posey walk. Rice's salary comes of the books next year, so if it was a one year thing, then I don't think that they would hesitate. I think the bigger issue is that the Rockets don't want to tie up that much money in salary for four years for a role player. Personally, I think that the Rockets believe that they can get a better value than Posey for $6M.

This is an interesting idea, that has some merit. For the Rockets, at this point, a big trade exception is the next best thing to having pure cap space.

Why would the Jazz do this, you ask? Well, they've got to pay the minimum payroll, so they'd prefer expiring contracts in order to meet the minumum without having to overpay players with multi-year deals. Effectively, they defer their cap space to next offseason without making financial commitments to players just so that they can meet the minimum salary.

As far as the penalty for not meeting the minumum salary? I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that they'd be forced to pay the minimum salary (i.e the amount that they were under would be paid to the league), plus a fine. Of course that is a total guess on my part.

Again nice idea. The only part that I disagree with is the inclusion of a first round pick. There's no reason to do that. The trade is still beneficial to the Jazz without the pick.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree. And I think the Rockets want to use the full MLE on two veterans. So they don't want $5m in two vets and another $5m (to start) in Posey...to add $10m to their salary.

to me, it is they would have taken Posey and one vet for around $6m, but they didn't think Posey was worth $5m all by himself when they really need to add two vets to this team.

bottomline: We need veterans!!!

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The Rockets could trade Taylor to Utah for nothing. Utah has enough cap room to absorb a contract much like Sa did with Mercer. I would give Utah Taylor without blinking an eye.