1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 5/4/2015 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 2, 2015.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't really want to see us play the Warriors so maybe this is for the best.

We will see what the Rockets are made of in game 2. If they put this same type of performance in, then they're done!

2. GMNot

GMNot Member

So much for Ariiza saying, "It won't happen again."

I said it after one of the Dallas games -- it is a lack of professionalism. Except one can add the qualifier, an almost total lack of professionalism. Howard showed up and seemed to understand the importance of winning game 1 without Paul playing.

I didn't look at the game stats, but it seemed to me that the leader for turnovers for the Rockets was probably Harden. As McHale has said, singles folks, not swinging away for home runs and missing.

Can fans finally accept that the turnover issue is real, a huge flaw, and just seems to be part of their character? Sadly, it's mostly due to carelessness. The players seem to think they can make up for it in other ways, rather than correct it, or it wouldn't keep happening.

The coaching staff is good and I'm certain tries their best to have the team prepared, but an awful lot of 1st halves contradict the assumption that the players are going to go out and execute it. The fault is not coaching, it's the inability of the players to enact the game plan. They play as if they think they can give scant attention to the plan until it's often too late.

I think the Rockets need to make themselves more accountable to one another during games. Players should be willing to accept being called out by their teammates. It really is no different than help defense. If a couple of players can tell others need to be shaken a bit to get everyone on the same page with effort and focus. I'm all for players having each others back, but solidarity needs to extend to their collective desire for the best performance of everyone. Sometimes a pat on the back for moral support, after a mistake, isn't what's needed. Wake-up calls can be done without damaging team unity. When 1 or 2 players are busting their behinds and their teammates aren't matching their effort, it's a waste of their performance if they don't sound some kind of alarm. All of Howard's wonderful blocks last night were wasted in the end. They were overshadowed by all the turnovers -- 31 points off turnovers. Just think how much easier the games could be if they could keep their turnovers to 6-8 for a whole game?

As a couple of side notes: Jones certainly does some really good things but he doesn't finish well/strong around the basket. And the 3-point philosophy is reasonable in theory but, to me, breaks down if your 3-point shooters are too streaky. When they don't stay closer to their overall average on a game-to-game basis, it doesn't work.

Those who keep telling themselves that "it's only one game," seem to be missing the point of professionalism. GS had a week off and didn't show any drop-off in their 1st game performance with the Grizzlies. True, Conley wasn't playing, but GS didn't look like they had little focus or a lack of energy. That's what I mean by professionalism. Good luck convincing yourselves (fans AND players) the Rockets can have 24 turnovers against GS and win. Or the rest of the games in this series, too. If the Rockets can advance (and that is a real concern), I think their turnover character flaw will bite them in the WC Finals because I expect the Warriors to advance. If one is realistic and objective, it's hard not to see them winning the championship this year.

1 person likes this.
  3. SkeptiK21

SkeptiK21 Member

I wanna see them stop the pick n roll... except McHale doesn't do it consistently. The sideline Harden / Smith PnR with Dwight moving to the rim is lethal. Not sure why deviate from that

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I remember going to my first game this year against the Suns. Harden previously owned P.J Tucker but with this game he came out fancy. Flashy crossover to start it out but turned it over or stolen. He then mentally checked out the game. On this game he did the same thing, Matt stole his cookie and he became that mental p***y he has always been

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Austin Rivers actually outplayed both Terry and Prigioni last game. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Culture shock"?
    "Rust"?
    Not taking opponent seriously?
    (My favorite) Harden drunk?
    One game, nothing more, nothing less?

8. bamfbamf

bamfbamf Member

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

He's having fun with the crowd and they loved the interaction.

11. RyanB

RyanB Member

This team is becoming an international disaster

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I lost sleep over that game.

Unacceptable.

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

14. Put You On Game

1 person likes this.
  15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I know, the whole crowd looked like a night at the Opera or at a silent auction. Or like 18,000 fans sitting on the couch casually watching Atlanta housewives dozing in and out of consciousness, maybe occasionally scratching their crotch.

That said, The rocket shouldn't even be allowed to look their fans in the eyes until they come to game five tying this 2-2. jazz the Lakers the supersonics, seriously nothing surpasses my modern hatred for the clippers with Chris Paul Blake Griffin and Matt Barnes. I would rather eat it fresh hot steaming bowl of **** than lose to the Clippers. I cannot stomach this team Chillin and laying down and getting punked by the clippers. They absolutely need to win tomorrow and if they do I will still not be happy.

16. roidrage

roidrage Member

Harden is average in the playoffs we need Aldridge bad

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Until James puts together a MVP like performance from START to FINISH in a playoff series, he is going to have the "regular season player" reputation. Maybe not even that, because he seems "up" for only one or two games in a series. I know defenses tighten up, but the great ones find a way.

18. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

QFT. I believed.