1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Warriors' Curry to be named NBA MVP; Harden runner-up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TesseracT, May 3, 2015.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't want to critique our guy, and maybe Berman is taking just a partial response, but I hope James can be gracious too. Steph had a great year, and it's the classy thing to do to congratulate him and move on. Then crush him if you can in the WCF. That would be... dreamy, literally.

But it does have to be tough after this rare year he had. Rare in terms of the history of the NBA type of performance. I hope he can really put it out of his mind.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Glad it's over. This has been inevitable since the all star break. People like Curry and in a tight race based on merit(and I think it was despite what the vote says), things like that matter. Curry is apple pie - Harden is some weird dessert some people like but some despise.

But I don't think any of us should be that surprised - Houston's gotten zero respect all season. The nicest thing I have heard anyone say about Houston among analysts was(after taking the Clippers over Houston in the series), "...I have been wrong about the Rockets many times all season so who knows." I'm waiting for all the sports analytics papers at next year's Sloan conference talking about how Harden was robbed when you adjust for quality of supporting cast. I don't care what anyone says - Curry would not have carried along this Rockets team to a 2 seed if their rosters were reversed.

3. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Congrats Warriors

4. SFbaybum

SFbaybum Member

Listen, I totally get that you Rox fans are backing Harden and believe he is the MVP. He has a legit case and that's your right.

Where you are soooo wrong that there isn't an adjective to describe just how wrong is those of you saying Steph is horribly cocky and smug. Just the opposite, Steph Curry goes out of his way to not be cocky, to be self effacing, to praise his teammates, to credit management, coaching, fans and pretty much everyone but himself. If you don't like his mouth piece, well, you're just looking for things to complain about.

Steph Curry has become the most beloved player in the country because of these traits. He is humble beyond description because he was brought up right.

You will never, EVER, catch a teammate saying "Steph & (fill in teammate) eat by themselves and exclude the rest of the team (like Harden & Dwight). To the contrary, the entire W's team eat together on the road all the time and Steph buys for D-leaguers all the time. You'll also never hear Steph say like Harden ""Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets," said Harden. "The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team."

Frankly, I'll bet Steph's demeanor & respect for all around him (& the media) played a role in his MVP win.

Again, I think Harden had a great year and a real case for MVP. So did Steph. Their games can be legitimately debated, but debating Steph's character isn't even a question. He is the MVP in this area and his teammates, coaches & all around him would attest.

5. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'm sure you just changed the minds of many of the posters here. *slow clap*

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

"You will never, EVER, catch a teammate saying "Steph & (fill in teammate) eat by themselves and exclude the rest of the team (like Harden & Dwight)."

That quote was taken from a morning talkshow that Donatas Motiejūnas participated in from Lithuinia. The story is people would come on the show and say jokes and that comment was a joke by Donatas that that was taken completely out of context when translated. Here is the rest of the story if you care to know.....now, where is that apology?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-harden-of-not-eating-with-rockets-teammates/

7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Whoever called out Steph for being cocky was wrong, but you just demonstrated ignorant bias by the "quotes" you used to characterize James (and Dwight).

All in all, i seriously doubt there was much of a difference in terms of internal team chemistry but there is a definite difference in perception.

9. SFbaybum

SFbaybum Member

I'm less trying to make Harden out to be a bad guy than I'm trying to convince those that think Curry is a "cocky, smug, jerk" that they are laughably wrong.

1 person likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not care about this melodrama. If GSW is better this year than Houston, they have to prove it.... of course that is when they meet each other.

If not then GSW is better on paper because of regular season, MVP.... but Houston is not that far away.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It was entirely dictated by records. Steph Curry MVP is not a result I disagree with, but people are kidding themselves if they think Harden doesn't deserve it AT ALL.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He is cocky.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. So is Harden. So is Kobe, LeBron, etc.
    You can't be a MVP-caliber player and be a mentally weak p***y.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Curry did it all by himself. GSW year round health, Klay, Kerr, none of them really contributed. It was all Curry and for that he deserves the MVP.

14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I knew Curry would win it, and rightfully so, but I still feel that Harden is more valuable to his team and he managed to lead the Rockets to the #2 seed and our first division title in like 20 years. It usually goes to the best player on the best team, so Curry is fine with me.

However, this is a Rockets fan forum, so you're bound to get some of these kinds of replies. I expected some bitterness, anger, etc. from some of our fans, it's just human nature.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

if what you are spewing is true, there would be no need to convince anyone.

Curry is a pure shooter and can hit a reverse layup, but in no way is he MVP

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I was watching the ESPN congratulatory compilation video for Currys MVP season and I thought to myself that I couldn't even imagine the crap they would put together had Harden won it.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curry won MVP. Kudos to him. Glad the selection is past and we can refocus on the playoffs.

btw, sfbaybum is the first of what might be many visitors from warriorsworld.net...

http://forums.warriorsworld.net/main/msgs/3963994.phtml

Again... happy to focus more on tonight's game...

18. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

he just has a smug face.

and an undercooked goatee.

19. TheresTheDagger

Got no problems with Curry at all (although the mouthpiece thing is gross). The GSW fans? Different story. Your post aside, all I have seen since December is some sort of entitlement from Bay area fans about the MVP and their "inevitable" walk to the title. Guess what? Your team hasn't won jack yet. I also have seen A LOT of hate directed towards Harden. And its MUCH worse than anything you've seen here about Curry.

My first and only loyalty is to Houston. But if not Houston, I sincerely hope GS gets knocked out.

2 people like this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Eh... my take is that Harden isn't very comfortable talking with the media. he looks very uncomfortable being interviewed and especially when the focus on the interview is on himself. My guess is Harden just wants the questions to stop so he can focus on the games.