1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Johnson - Houston Texans' first round (#16 overall) pick in 2015 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, Apr 30, 2015.

?

Do you like this pick for the Texans?

1. YES

155 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. NO

35 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Catch Kevin Johnson's introductory press conference LIVE at 1:30 p.m. on <a href="http://t.co/qhJRcNjLim" title="http://HoustonTexans.com" org_href="http://HoustonTexans.com">HoustonTexans.com</a> &amp; <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a> mobile app. <a href="http://t.co/EFGvf89QLH" title="http://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/594204667640348672/photo/1" org_href="http://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/594204667640348672/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/EFGvf89QLH</a></p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/594204667640348672" data-datetime="2015-05-01T13:20:07+00:00">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

He needs to take steroids. Dude is really tiny.

3. conquistador#11

lol some of these questions. hey, that's good you entered the draft and all but tell us what you know about jj watt? what will it be like when you first see him shirtless? might as well have asked him that too.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

While I think he's small, he's the exact size as Trae Waynes, who I didn't really see as small. Makes me feel better knowing that.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Cant put a price on intelligence, and that word was a common theme used to describe the kid. He seems humble and hungry. Time will tell...ofcourse he will have to adjust, but what he said about being able to contribute to any facet of the game...speaks well for him and his progress as an NFL athelete. OBrien is very high on the kid...

6. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

I like the pick. Can never have enough corners on the team especially quality ones.

7. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Mortensen reports that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> are fielding trade offers for CB Jonathan Joseph &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cardinals?src=hash">#Cardinals</a> are listening to offers for Michael Floyd</p>&mdash; NFLTradeRumors.co (@nfltrade_rumors) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfltrade_rumors/status/594220743153422336">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Could be the reason why they took him in the first place.

8. conquistador#11

is that a legit site? never seen it before.

9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Jason Braddock RT it. Felt like if he showed interest in it, that it may something floating around. Not confirmed or anything, but it's interesting with the drafting of Johnson. Could net an extra pick or two depending on the right suitor.

10. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

After watching Johnson play a bit, all I can say is WOW, this kid could really contribute to our defense this season. His footwork, fluid hips, ability to change direction on a dime are all incredible. He's not just above average in those areas, he's elite.

Kevin has the potential to be an extraordinary slot cornerback, as soon as this season. His skill-set transitions perfectly to that position. As for ability to play on the outside, he needs to bulk up a bit and become a more willing tackler, but there doesn't seem to be anything from holding him back from excelling on the outside as well. Yeah, his 40-time isn't something to brag about, but there are several great and even elite corners in the league right now with sub-par 40-times who dominate on a regular basis.

Given a year to work in the slot and being groomed for the starter job, Kevin has the skills foundation and athleticism to be a excellent CB for us for years to come. Looks like a great pick so far, really hope it works out.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

12. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

lol @ all this small talk. He's exactly the same weight as both Kareem and Jjo are now and only having an inch or two over them in height. He'll probably only gain roughly 10lbs at the most. There is a huge over exaggeration of his lack of "size" amongst the media and on this board.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It was weird analysis by Gruden and Riddick.

One was pushing the can't tackle narrative while the other made him seem like the second coming of Duanta Robinson in the beginning of his career.

I was confused LOL!

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Riddick has said in the weeks leading up to the draft that Johnson was his #1 corner. That he is a Day 1 starter in any scheme and will be a #1 cover corner for a long time.

That means more to me than what anyone else on either network or media outlet says. Riddick knows his stuff.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Any reason this guy can't be elite? Nice pick

16. conquistador#11

because rick smith drafted him! nobody drafted under this regime makes it to a probowl or gets a new deal elsewhere. they all teh sucks!
    :p

I agree. Our defense was already becoming one not to be f'd with. now it's just getting stronger.

17. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Samari Rolle comes to mind. KJ didn't clock in a great 40 time but his quickness jumps off the screen.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Pros

First off, Johnson was extremely durable in college. As a four-year starter for the Demon Deacons, Johnson never missed a game due to injury and and made 41 starts in 47 games played, on top of earning all-conference recognition for four years.

He did have an interception in the game I analyzed against the Tigers. Johnson sat back and read the quarterback on the play and made a really good diving jump on the ball, extending for the pick. His backpedal, good eyes, and quick reaction time helped set up a great takeaway that he had to make, even though it was a bad decision from the quarterback in the first place.

Johnson has light feet and is very fluid in moving his hips, keeping his range with opposing players. His hips really help him stay with receivers on short slants and breaks to the outside. In general, he keeps up with his man and does a good job getting his hand on the ball when it's in the air and he's able to make a play.

Cons

A lot of times Johnson got away with penalties (mostly holds) that he definitely won't be able to get away with at the pro level. There are instances were he grabs guys if he gets beat on a fake or if a guy blows by him.

To piggyback off my last comment, I really like Johnson's aggressiveness and competitive edge that he plays with on the field, but that has hurt him on the field, too. He totaled 132 penalty yards the last two seasons at Wake Forest, and we all know those NFL refs love to throw the yellow.

There are plays in the game where Johnson gets himself in solid position to make tackles in the backfield and on the outside, but he gets chewed up and thrown off balance easily by blockers. He missed way too many tackles in college. That's mostly because of his frame and lack of strength, and you have to wonder if eventually he'll get where he needs to be from a physical standpoint. Personally, I'm actually not too concerned with his lean body and his development because he initially went to Wake Forest at 154 pounds, but he weighed in at 188 at the combine. I think he'll continue to grow, but he has to wrap-up better and be able to break and move off blockers better as well.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Excellent pick. I'm glad we went for him despite CB not really being a need.

Hopefully we can trade Joseph for something good.