1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Shanks appreciation thread (Best of @HoustonRockets)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bandwagoner, Apr 29, 2015.

1. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Suplex city? <a href="http://t.co/uIlJ8D5KSd">pic.twitter.com/uIlJ8D5KSd</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/592508613945466882">April 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

He tweeted this when True Detective was taking off and got an lol out of me.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dwight to Parsons, Parsons to Dwight. Time is a flat circle. Tie game.</p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/445308355590881280">March 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

As a young guy, I appreciated the humor from the Rockets twitter account. Really one of the better ones I follow, besides of course Clutch Fans.

I'm sure not everyone is familiar with how one puts down a sick horse, but it is with a firearm. And that Mavs team was one sick horse...

Rockets didn't need to can the guy for a tweet that was ehh in taste, but not really in bad taste. And if you found it in bad taste, I don't think I'd want to sit next to you at a Rockets game. Lighten up, please.

1 person likes this.
  4. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I like this guy.

Honestly, I don't really feel like many people are offended whatsoever so have a perception of what FEELS inappropriate. My first initial reaction to his tweet was "uh oh. People arnt going to like this" but regardless of if anyone was ever offended is where the problem lies.

Who can seriously, 100% agree that this was a bad tweet? Without having your opinion fogged by the speculation of what outcry could follow

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

When your job is to represent an organization and city, you don't make crass comments. Period. The kid lacked judgement. I didn't wish him fired, but he definitely doesn't need to be representing Houston's voice. You know where you can put your comments, roke.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Emojis aside man, "shh it'll all be over" is the rapiest thing ever. Kid deserved to be yanked. Not saying he should have been canned for good.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That "kid" is in his 30's.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Cool man, add me to your ignore list :rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

.. His comments are that of a twelve year old

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Also who is to say the rockets didn't have problems with this guy already? Let the rockets handle their business. This shouldn't have been made a public issue. The guy's name shouldn't be out there. That's the worst part.

11. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

done and done

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Isn't he just following his boss Daryl Morey who sometimes makes inappropriate tweets also?

Fine him. Suspend him. But don't fire him. He has done incredibly creative work.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Some other professional team will hire him.

14. baubo

baubo Member

I'm over 30 and I honestly have no idea what the hell is a "rapiest thing." When I first read the tweet, I felt the outrage would be gun violence or animal cruelty, but rape never even entered my mind.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Here, let me Google that for you.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Again, I'm not condoning his firing. I just don't think he should be in charge of the voice of the Rockets. Which, if that is his only job, maybe there is nothing else for him to do and his dismissal is appropriate? Of course, maybe there are some other duties he can perform. He was creative and nice from what I here, so perhaps there isn't enough of the story being made public? Either way, I'm not a cruel person. I don't wish him fired. I do think he shouldn't be making rape references, even if it appears to be accidental/incidental (the emojis don't change the fact that it is reference to a rape meme on the Internet).

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The rape joke was in bad taste for sure, but it was a joke. Should he be admonished for it Absolutely. And while I can understand his firing, I do think a suspension would have been more in order.

If ESPN's Britt whatever can get away with a two week suspension and a coach gets away with a fine, and the players can punch someone and only get a suspension, why is it that the social media manager is on the tightest lease of them all?

They all represent the brand. And the social media manager has the toughest line to walk. They are paid to be edgy to drive engagement. It's like a player who is tasked to incite the other team to unravel but then gets punished if he goes a bit over the line.

1 person likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Actually rape was the first thing I thought of when I saw the tweet before I saw the emoji's. I was disturbed at first and then I saw the emojis and thought it was funny.

1 person likes this.
  19. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Sucks he got fired.

Think it's been deleted by now, but remember after beating the Mavs. Rockets page posted "RFFL".

20. baubo

baubo Member