1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How do we fix the PG penetration?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRedemption, Apr 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

The rockets missing shots and freetrows killed us... Dwight missed tooany fts and ariza too many shots... Even terry was cold...

I like the start brewer or nick ideas

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Could play big guards and need post up whoever barea is guarding. A few successful post ups hopefully will result in easy scores or get barea into foul trouble.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The open shot won't kill the rox, especially by monta, the rox should take it every time.

The issues are the penetration, fast break and second chance pts. Those are killers.

We inserted Johnson pretty early in the 4th with a lineup by no means to give up and he played a pretty long stretch. I believe the coaches already see the writings on the wall that both prig and terry were getting killed and they must do something.

I believe Johnson will get more chances, kind of like Capela's case.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I get that you are a team that switches everything, but the ease at which they switch with little hedging is laughable. I mean you might as well just start Terry on Dirk to begin with. They set the most half a#$ pick and its like they can't wait to switch the PG on the big.

And the whole point of switching everything is to not give open looks. If you are going to give up open looks regardless... DONT FREAKING SWITCH.

Needless to say the Rockets defense has been sort of an embarrassment this series regardless of the wins. This could easily be a 2-2 series or even 3-1 in favor of the Mavs if not for some offensive heroics on our end.

The way the Rockets are defending right now doesn't bode well for the second round.... assuming the Rockets win one of the next 3 games.... hopefully. (I'll believe it when I see it).

5. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

That would require foresight from Mcfail.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

PT is earned not given. Johnson wasn't ready for too many minutes in the regular season. I do think they should look at what he can do and see if he can stop Barea.

I can't believe people are still saying this.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

The 26 year old Patrick Beverly's defense and energy are needed big time at the moment compared to the rockets two 37 year old PGs. The whole PG rotation went 1-11 from the field including the rookie Johnson, the PG position is the rockets biggest weakness and will probably be felt even more next series against either Tony Parker or Chris Paul!!!

8. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I like that adjustment. Smith/Jones are decent rim protectors and should be ok to deter the likes of Barea at the rim. I trust Dwight to get boards one-on-one versus Tyson, our other guys... Not so much.

Our guards need to stay back and help crash the boards, too. A lot of those Dallas misses turned into long rebounds way out of Dwight's area.

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

We need to ask Capela to hit one of those guys hard. Take one for the team.

Won't come back into the paint.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good thread. Seeing what Barea did gave me nightmares over the thought of Terry and Prigs "guarding" Chris Paul or Tony Parker. And honestly, I don't know what the answer is except...

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think the "Ray Lewis of basketball" Joey Dorsey would be ideal for laying the leather to someone coming into the paint IMO LOL. Capella still needs a few more years in the weight room to become an enforcer lol.

12. dje243

dje243 Member

I actually liked what I saw from Nick. He needs to get minutes. Terry/Prig are going to get run over in the next round. Nick on offense is a necessary evil for nick on defense. His closeouts are light speed and he can stay with his man. He just needs to not foul.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Lol...pretty much this.

I can't believe we are having trouble with this little runt.

14. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Saying what? That Mchale doesn't have much foresight? PG Penetration has been a problem all year long and it became even more glaring once Bev went down. Throwing a rookie on the problem in the middle of the playoffs without giving him mins in the regular season is lacking foresight.

15. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Send in Papa to hammer JJ Barea across the neck

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Actually, experimenting with Brewer on Barea may help prepare for the same sort of defensive schemes needed for Paul, Parker, and Curry.

One of my biggest disappointments was how slow the Rockets seemed to be in responding to DAL. They needed to call TOs sooner, and try different schemes. Instead... it was like they kept trying the same things that weren't working before (both defensively and offensively).

Defensively, Barea starts getting hot and yet no efforts to stop him sooner on the court or doubling to make him get rid of the ball.

Offensively, seeing that the Rockets on the court were struggling to score, yet keeping Harden and Jones on the bench.

17. NickKent

NickKent Member

Wonder if Morey regrets the Canaan trade now

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

McHale may need to open up the rotation. No energy may mean the 9 guys are getting tired.

No other choice but to put Johnson on Barea. Terry and Prigs were no factors at all on defense.

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Vintage McHale ...

Even Reggie Miller was groaning at how many 3s we were chucking up in the 3rd. Why weren't we going inside, he was asking.

20. Asian Sensation

Dear god.