1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HUBIE BROWN is a pathetic commentator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAandNFLFan, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

I've never felt like Hubie was biased. The thing I've always found hilarious about him is his overly-technical breakdowns of plays. He was a coach so it makes perfect sense, but every time he does one of his "now you're probably wondering why the Mavericks didn't run a reverse wizard lettuce 3-4 trap skivvy on this play.." I'm always thinking "no, Hubie, maybe like 4 people are wondering that, most people are thinking 'wow, that dunk was awesome' or 'check out the t*** on that sideline dancer'." :grin:

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought, from what I watched, the Mavs were screwed on multiple calls (more than us). Obviously I'm not losing sleep over it, but I get why an impartial observer would express strong disagreement over it. Maybe I'd be more bothered by this if I thought those were good calls.

3. Since75

Since75 Member

Durvasa are you a Dallas fan. Just asking because it will explain your refusal to see and admit the obvious. Now you're talking about a couple of calls that didn't go the Mavericks way as if somehow the Rockets didn't have calls missed their way.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The problem was the whole time he commentating from the Mavericks's prespective, and once the Rockets, even when the Rockets were down 10+ pts.

1 person likes this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Is this a serious question? Since when are national announcers supposed to be cheerleaders? I'll answer for you: Never.

I can't think of ANY ESPN or TNT announcer that cheers for homes teams because the crowd is behind them. National TV audiences don't give a flip about that and neither should the announcer.

Are you temporarily insane tonight?

6. Orange

Orange Member

7. durvasa

Yes, I'm secretly a Mavs fan all this time. :)

We had a few bad calls go against us, but all in all the Mavs have more to complain about from what I saw.

8. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Hubbie Brown is a Mavs fan. Period

Generally, he's pretty knowledgeable commentator, talking into details. But he's exposed tonight as a Mavs fan.

9. TheresTheDagger

Don't know if Hubie really likes the underdog or dislikes Houston....but there was definitely bias in his calls tonight.

I generally like his commentary. I won't hold it against him unless it becomes a habit. But seriously Hubie. Cut down on the rooting against Houston.

Sheesh!

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

There was no Dallas bias, Hubie is just an idiot and gets swayed very easily by fans. During the 3rd when the fans got really angry at the refs, that's when he started saying **** like "Amare was absolutely hacked". There were only like 3 really bad calls that went against Dallas and the same for the Rockets. Everything else was just a matter of how you call Howard, which will never be consistent.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I think it goes both ways. Rockets certainly had some favorable calls but it wasn't a simple case of Rockets getting away with being a lot more physical, because they were appropriately punished (35-28 free disparity, even larger against the Rockets once you take off the 6-8 additional free throws the Rockets took from Hack-A-Whoever).

Dallas flopped quite a bit and got away with a lot. The 3 freethrows given to Dirk was iffy at best since he was barely touched even though Harden did attempt to steal the ball.

Overall, neither team won/loss because of officiating.

12. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

Hubie was hard to listen to tonight. There was once offensive rebound that we grabbed, that caused him to groan out loud. That's just unprofessional.

I can understand getting excited when a team scores, especially if it is the underdog in a series. I'm ok with that. But complaining about every foul call, and being disappointed when the rockets do well is piss poor commentary.

13. Orange

Orange Member

Game 1 was the same again watch the highlight video.

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He is a Mavs homer. He never said a positive thing about the rox. As soon as HB said "there you go" after dirk hit a 3, I had to change back to local feed. HB disgusts me.

15. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

My girlfriend watches like 8 games a season with me and she was adamant we were watching a Dallas broadcast

1 person likes this.
  16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

that stood out to be too. that's just unacceptable.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Yeah, it's getting worse.

Tonight there was a time he said"our team" when referring to DAL. Does he live in DAL?

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

never mind, let's shut him up by just winning

19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I also think both teams got screwed fairly equally, and maybe tonight (unlike games 1 or 2), the Rockets actually got slightly more calls... but at worst, it's just justice for 2005.

20. durvasa

It's a human reaction to be influenced by a crowd. The storyline of the game is the Mavs are the underdog and can they overcome their adversity to win a game on their home floor. Put everything together, and him saying "there you go!" when the Mavs make a play just makes sense to me.