1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HUBIE BROWN is a pathetic commentator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAandNFLFan, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Since75

Since75 Member

Durvasa apparently you didn't watch and listen to the game on ESPN tonight nor have you read the comments on this topic regarding Brown not mentioning anything about what the Rox needed to do when they were down by 10. Are you related to Brown or something? Look at the posts! Everyone on this board is a fan but not an unrealistic fan. My God look and listen to the facts. Your eyes nor your ears haven't lied to you.

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Groaning? It's weird to me how you interpret things. To me, it was obviously a "groan" of admiration over how good Harden is, not frustration.

If I wanted to listen to announcers kissing our butts, I'd flip to the local station. I rather like hearing from announcers who are impartial or leaning slightly towards the underdog (not us, in this case). It shows me where we stand in the eyes of others.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He was so so bad tonight. Holy crap.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think this is one thing people don't understand about Hubie.

It's not a "OH, not again.." it's a "OH, wow!"

5. Since75

Since75 Member

Durvasa this post makes it official. You're totally delusional or simply don't want to admit the truth. I'm done. Maintain the delusion.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Typically i really don't mind Hubie. He babbles, but usually just goes over what a trailing team needs to do to get back in the game, not really biased. That's how he was in game one.

But today he was openly rooting for Dallas. A 50/50 call, he always said Dallas should have gotten the call. When they were behind he was thrilled with every bucket. When they got ahead, he continued to praise Dallas. He did compliment Harden, but that's about it. I swore even referred to Dallas as "we" once, if that ain't Freudian I don't know what is.

7. Since75

Since75 Member

DreamShook there's a very big difference in how and what he said. Everytime he said OH regarding the Mavericks it was followed by additional glowing terms.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's not Barkley. I get that part of being a passionate sports fan is having a persecution complex, but some of you seem to be on a break from reality.

9. hairyme

hairyme Member

Did you actually watch tonight's broadcast? It was pretty bad...

I prefer to watch the national broadcast, if available, so I can get an impartial viewing, but tonight felt more like a very reserved Dallas broadcast on ESPN! I gave him the benefit of the doubt since it's natural to root for the underdog, and I have no problem with commentators expressing their like of individual players, but he was constantly referring to Dallas as "we..." without balancing out with equivalent Houston comments.

What was more annoying is that he would naturally express excitement at the things Dallas did all while being silent, or even disappointed, at Houston's scores. Tirico was fine as usual; though, a bit on the boring side.

I had to switch to ROOT and filter out the (usually endearing) homerism. Ironically, I found our crew to be more complimentary and enthusiastic about Dallas than Brown was about Houston!

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

like I said I was watching the Root Sports feed, but Im going to re-watch the ESPN game. Every time I've heard Hubie it's never as bad as some fans think. It's like they are tuning everything he say good about the Rockets out.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He wasn't bad in game one, he was very bad tonight.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't hate Hubie. He's an NBA lifer who truly loves the game and enjoys talking about it. But he needs to retire. I've said this for about 3 years.

I'm not a fan of Bill, Bull and especially Clyde. They are something we all must tolerate as Rockets fans. But after halftime tonight was the first time in ages I switched away from ESPN to the local broadcast. I know Hubie often cheerleads for the underdog but I just got fed up with it tonight.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's not that he doesn't respect houston the team or its players, but that he is from tipoff till the final buzzer openly rooting for the mavs on basically every single possession, even shouting out (perceived) fouls for mavs players before the refs even call the whistle and then rejoicing in jubilation when the call is made in his, errr the mavs favor

14. Since75

Since75 Member

Please watch and I know you will see exactly what everyone is talking about. I agree We as fans can go overboard but trust me that wasn't the case tonight.

15. htown387

htown387 Member

No doubt. I sometimes watch the national broadcasts because I like to see how we come across to the nation. But tonight he was insufferable. He probably just wanted to see a good series and doesn't have anything personal against the Rockets but GAH so bad.

16. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Have to agree here. He was fine the first game and just not very good tonight.

He wasn't as impartial as before, I guess he wanted to see the series extended. That actually makes sense for just anybody else but Houston and its fans so I can't hate him for that.

However, some of things he said were just cringe worthy. For example when they were talking about Howard's stats and the amount of minutes played Hubie plainly said Howard has played so little because of the minutes restriction. How the **** can you forget Howard playing only 17 minutes the 1st game because of foul trouble, when you were the one commentating the game, ffs.

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i think in the gamethread someone said "hubie brown died a little inside when he saw that it was a charge"

cmon hubie give it up. u hate the rockets just say it, something like "god i hope hardne has a terrible game, just terrible. you see uhh the rockets, they suck! they keep winning games, and i dont like it okay!"

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In fairness I only watched second half tonight. What I watched felt appropriately balanced. I wouldn't be surprised if he was cheering for the Mavs in the first half, given the circumstances. Most people were totally counting them out of the series after game 2, and they had a nice comeback in the second quarter after being down double digits in the first quarter. Plus the crowd is behind them. Why wouldn't he cheer them on?

I have no doubts that if the roles were reversed, he'd do the same for us.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Our fans complain way to much about the announcers. I never buy into it.

But he was bad tonight. When a call when against Dallas his disappointment was visceral. He really wanted Dallas to win tonight, and didn't even try to hide it.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Hubie was annoying as **** tonight