1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HR Question]How Long Does It Take to Start a New Job?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Apr 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I can't get into it now as my time is limited but I am seriously looking at going back to industry after spending this year teaching 9th grade. I have turned in an application and made contact with a manager for a company about 45 minutes away from where I live. He told me that the position they want me for will be posted by the end of this week. I get done with the teaching gig by May 22 or so.

What has been the experience of others here in the length it took to get a job from when you first applied to being interviewed to all the way of actually starting on day 1? Tell me the norm as I know in some cases, places are short-staffed and they are desperate and as a result they speed up the process.

I am thinking maybe a month or a month and a half?

Help me out clutchfans.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

1-1.5 months sounds about right. Most recently I had a phone interview, then a week later I had an in person interview and the next week I had my final interview. Had there not been weird circumstances I'd have been offered the job at the end of that week. Then, after a 2 week notice, I would have started. So that's 5 weeks in my recent real-life example.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've started a week after an initial conversation before. I've also had it take a couple of months. It depends on how motivated they are to fill a need and your availability.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Completely depends on the company. Small companies=faster, unless the owner is a procrastinator. Goliath companies or government can be super slow.

Took me 10 months from application to hire date to get back into the UT system after leaving. I had a few jobs in between.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Big companies the interview process might take 2 months, depending on who they find during that process that comes closest to their requirements. And then even after that it's possible to take another month to just get the offer out.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you don't mind . .. why are you leaving teaching?
    I have been contemplating going into teaching and . .. well the feedback from people doing it has been . . . .mixed to say the least

Rocket River

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

My latest company the process was about four months of back and forth. 6-7 interviews, a few phone screens, contract negotiations, etc. I wasn't in a rush, because I was still working and traveling for Microsoft at the time... I could have probably gotten it down to about two months. My company is very thorough with new hires due to corporate espionage.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

We average 2 weeks from posting a job to interviewing. Three days from interviewing to offer. 1.5 - 3 weeks from offer to New Hire Orientation. And that's for field level hires. I've seen it take several months to fill leadership, admin, and HR roles.

9. Manny Ramirez

You can send me an email through the board as I really don't want to get into the reasons on the BBS.

10. Manny Ramirez

Thanks everyone for the posts. I got a job invite for the job I have been talking about and just got home to fill it out. I hope that they are willing to let me start around the 1st of June as school doesn't get out until May 22.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Turning your back on the kids, huh?

12. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Took me about 1.5 month through interview process, background checks, drug screenings and all that crap, once I got an offer letter it was done under 2 days.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The whole everyone has to interview cancerous situation has slowed the process down, our CTO was taking three days to decide and letting all the programmers interview too.

What a waste of time I told him he had 4 hours and if he could not decide by then I would take over the entire process.

His retort was Google does it this way, and I was like we ain't google. Hiring someone should not take as long as it does now, you have a lot of ancillary people trying to justify their job nowadays.

DD

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This.

My last job, I was interviewed and hired the same day, started a week later. Now it looks like I'll be back to the place I worked BEFORE this last job. (Life of a contractor, but, hey, any port in a storm.) As before, though, they're far slower in their hiring process, so it could be 1.5 months of stewing in my own juices before I start. (Worth it, though, for a 3-4 year project.)

15. Manny Ramirez

[​IMG]

#15 Manny Ramirez, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  16. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Took six weeks from first contact to hire for me at an oil major (note: this was out of school so my actual start date was months later by mutual choice). However I had been looking for 7 months before that. So...you know, that's only if you get an offer at all.