1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

lets say kobe beats the charges or they are bs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by robbie380, Jul 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

do you still consider kobe a role model? all i hear on sports talk radio is how kobe isn't a role model anymore because of the adultery. i wish i could get on air and ask them if they still think jordan is a role model. i mean jordan is a compulsive gambler and didn't he cheat on his wife too? jordan seems pretty well regarded as being a role model to most people, but will kobe still have that if he beats these charges or if they are dropped or if they are bs?

2. Summer Song Giver

Jordan is a scumbag as is Kobe. Dream, AC Green those guys are role models.

3. prjsino

prjsino Member

using the specific definition from dictionary.com
    role model
    n.
    A person who serves as a model in a particular behavioral or social role for another person to emulate.

according to the definition, i'd probably say he isn't. the guy cheated on his wife just months after they had their child. i'd bet everybody before the adultery admission thought the guy was a good spouse and we all know how that turned out. maybe he should use the good ol' "you know me, i wouldn't do such a thing" line in court, god knows how much that comment helped him :rolleyes: its just too bad some females/groupies will always love him no matter what. kind of like how a "blind" woman stays with an abusive husband. don't expect kobe to do any ethical/morality commercials in the future :D

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I never looked up to any athlete as a role-model in my life and, if I were, it certainly wouldn't have been Bryant. And, I never doubted he'd be capable of rape, or murder, or incest, or any despicable thing. So, for me, nothing has changed. But, I understand others do look up to Bryant and, if he's not in prison (or maybe even if he is), I'm sure there will still be people who do idolize him like that. So, his role-model role won't go away. And, in so far as it is appropriate to look to professional athletes to serve as a role-model (not very, imo), I don't think he's a terrible choice. You don't need to emulate every fault you see in your role-model. And, being human, they all will have some.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i guess maybe i should also ask if jordan is a role model in people's eyes as well. summer song giver already stated his opinion clearly...how does everyone else feel? he certainly never seems to be ripped as not being one.

6. Franchiseclutch

NO kobe is not a role model anymore neither is Jordan. As Summer Song Giver said, people like Dream AC, Duncan, those are Role models. Great basketball players but more importantly great people. No matter what happens in the trail, Kobe is still a great basketball player but he has already proven to be a not so great person.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Jordan's life hasn't been hurt by his gambling. I'm not the biggest Jordan fan, but I see no reason to dislike him. Most athletes aren't worthy to be role models except in the sense that they have exceled in their line of work. But calling Jordan a compulsive gambler is borderline ignorant. I don't think a guy who has saved up enough money to buy a sports franchise has too much of a gambling problem.

8. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

jordans awesome. ac green is probly the best pure role model if you want that, but maybe he has just covered up his mistakes better than anybody else? didnt hakeem get a divorce or something?

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I believe that Jordan gets more flack for an alleged affair.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The guy is a compulsive gambler. Just because he has enough money to do so does not mean he doesnt have a gambling problem.

11. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

So you are saying that Martin Luther King is NOT a good role model?

j/p, Kobe has ruined his super hero image forever. Even if he is found innocent, he'll still have to join his good buddies Magic, MJ, and Larry Bird as the "not quite so" perfect guys. :D

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And whose life has this affected negatively, his, his children's, his wife's? Compulsive or not, he does not have a problem. It hasn't gotten in the way of anything he has wanted to do.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't use the word "scumbag" but I agree with your general drift.

BTW, I disagree with Charles Barkley's disclaimer "I am not paid to be a role model." Once you are a celebrity, especially sports celeb, you are a role model to a lot of kids. Like it or not, you cannot choose not to be a role model, because many kids (especially kids who don't have strong parental guidance) look up to you. You can only choose to be a good model or a bad model. It comes with the job from which you make millions of dollars.

14. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I don't think Kobe has ever done anything to warrant being a role model. Heck, Shaq has done more than he has. Just cause Kobe has always held a good guy image doesn't mean he's a good guy.

I think if you want to go for basketball role models, you go for players like Hakeem, or better yet, David Robinson.

15. ASIA

ASIA Member

If Kobe did a lot of charity works and give away a lot of money to charities and good cause, then he's a good role model in my eyes. But seems like he didn't do any of that I know of so he's a scumbag. The guy went off and bought his wife $4mil in a ring after he cheated on her. Why not use that money for good charities and it would've give him good face but no, the guy is one big lier and a cheater.

Role model my @ss!

16. ASIA

ASIA Member

We aren't really asking them to be role model but a play a good role as a citizen. Things like drug, adultery, drinking and driving, battery ect. should'nt even be there in the first place. We are not really asking them to be a role model but at least be a good citizens.

17. rezdawg

The point isnt that he has hurt himself, his kids, or his wife. The point is that he is a compulsive gambler. You can be a compulsive gambler without losing an arm and a leg.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How does this make him a bad guy is my point???

"Bonds is an ass who only seems to care about himself...Ruth did a ton for kids."

Originally posted by Robbie in another thread after I pointed out that Ruth was womanizer and played drunk.

I guess its worse when its Jordan.

:rolleyes:

19. rezdawg

Go back and read this thread. I never once stated that Jordan was a bad guy. The only thing I was disputing was the fact that you said he wasnt a compulsive gambler and that people who thought so were "borderline ignorant".

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Go back and read the post, I said the statement was borderline ignorant, and furthermore I consider that statement to be negative, so its just a matter of perception.

When I think of a compulsive gambler, I think of a guy having a problem paying his bills because of a habit.

And if you read the first post further, Robbie links compulsive gambling to being a bad guy, and I responded before Rezdawg posted in the thread.