1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to sign some people

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 23, 2003.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just wanted to check out a trade idea on Real GM and realized that we only have 9 players under contract and one of them is Moochie Norris!

So...any big names aside, which are the less coveted free agents you would want to be signed for very low amounts (near minimum)?

Mine are:

Piatkowski, Boykins, Jumaine Jones, Chucky Brown

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Piat is the guy I want.

3. Nero

Nero Member

hehehe we'll probably sign Kevin Willis again.. ;)

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Several worthwhile low cost pick ups possible:

For 1/2 support:
    JBarry
    LuHarris
    Boykins
    Pike
    Shaw
    Armstrong

For 2/3:
    Reggie
    Raja
    Jimmy Jax
    StephanJax

Depth of front:
    Drobniak
    Willis
    Stephania

Harris or Barry, Reggie or Raja, Dro or the return of Hammer Willis.

5. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Charles Jones, calling Charles Jones!!:D

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Charles Oakley is available as well, but I would like some frontline support for Yao. I'm hoping we keep the Bad Man instead of sending him off overseas. I don't know why but I wouldn't mind having Tim Hardaway on these team as well. He'd seem like he be a good backup guard or maybe he can even run the point and show francis how it's done. But Stephania and Jon Barry, and hopefully PiatKowski would be good for me :)

7. gideon27

gideon27 Member

We need someone at backup PG, and Mooch just seems content to slack off now that he's got his contract. Boykins was great off the bench last year for Arenas. What's his price tag?

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

well I seriously don't know what's left for the rockets. I hope we keep posey. If not I just see our team entering into a gutter to be honest.

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The whole team is on Posey's shoulders? So if Yao scores 18-20 ppg this season, you think Posey's absence will be the whole difference in this team?

Posey is a role player...period. Good, yes but a role player.

10. gideon27

gideon27 Member

Well said, krosfyah. Definitely a role player, and doubtful the difference between us and the playoffs.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clearly we need to address the backup PG/SG positions on this team. Moochie isn't cutting it at backup PG. It would have been great if we could have added Pike at backup SG and someone like Kenny Anderson at backup PG with our MLE. But the problem is that we are too close to the luxary tax that it appears to be preventing us from making these moves.

Looks like other than trades this offseason it all hinges on whether we keep or let go James Posey.

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

THE LEGEND!!! Lol, thanks for the memories Roc!

13. Sane

Sane Member

We just need to make a trade. We need to get rid of mobley, and give MoT his role back as 3rd scorer. He scores at a much higher %, and is finally over his injury. If he comes to camp in good shape, we should package Rice and Mobley for another SG and a decent SF.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Our next signing.

[​IMG]

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Why would we dump Cat. He is the best bargain we have on our roster? Everybody complains about our 'bad' contracts and then turns around and suggest to dump Cat who may be the biggest bargain in the league.

What other 20ppg scorers are there at that price?

With proper coaching, Cat will be lethal. Give him a chance.

Cat has changed roles every year AND has shown improvement. I see no reason to beleive we can't see improvement again this season under new leadership.

16. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

in no particular order, but i think these are all guys we could get for reasonably cheap...

Pike
    Stephen Jackson
    Kenny Anderson
    Jon Barry
    Travis Best
    Charile Ward
    Derrick Coleman
    Charles Oakley
    Tyrone Hill

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Tim Hardaway for vet minimum :). Verteran leadership plus he played pretty well in the playoffs for the pacers. I think he'd be a great backup PG for cheap :)