1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Still Has A Bitter Taste In Their Mouth from 2005?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Apr 15, 2015.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I went outside and punched a tree with full force after that game 4 loss. Then 2 years later I moved to the Dallas suburbs and had to listen to people who legitimately thought Josh Howard was better than Kobe Bryant.

My hatred of the Mavs has been laying dormant for a few years, but there is nothing like a playoff series to bring it back in full compliment.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Mucking Fichael Finley.

4. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Biggest Rockets rivals in my book still Mavs and Jazz.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

We can potentially break this team up too

6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Bowen didn't do jack **** against Dirk. It was all McGrady. The stats show it, too. Dirk shot over 50% with Bowen on him, and well under 40% with McGrady on him.

Bowen is like 60% of the reason we lost that series. Another 25% being Jason Terry (and JVG's refusal to switch up our defense on him)... and then 15% on the refs.

7. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

That 2004-05 team was one of my favorites. We finished the season strong, and the 2 victories in Dallas to start off round 1 had us all feeling good about the post season. Then it all came crashing down.

In honor of that team, here are some photos.

[​IMG]
    The enforcer.

[​IMG]
    The mid-season acquisition.

[​IMG]
    The moment when the gravity was sucked out of the building.

[​IMG]
    The game winner.

[​IMG]
    Celebration.

[​IMG]
    The Dynasty that never was.

[​IMG]
    JB for 3.

[​IMG]
    Game 6 blow out.

[​IMG]
    T-Mac. 1st Round exit extraordinaire.

IT'S REVENGE TIME

#87 The Sensei, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

eff Dallass

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

the memories..boy what could have been.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

That series absolutely kills me. It still makes me so mad. That was the time when I learned to hate, hate, hate the Mavericks.

Mark Cuban complaining about Yao's screens the entire freaking series. Even sending videos to the NBA with it.

T-Mac dunking all over Shawn Bradley.

Dirk doing his stupid Dirk things. And running down the court sticking his tongue out. And JET running down the court with his arms out (man, I used to hate Jason Terry so bad).

And the absolutely humiliating, embarrassing Game 7.

Yes. It's time for revenge.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That team deserved to be out of the 1st round big time no matter what really happened then

12. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

That's fine. All i said is he & Tmac guarded him. Which is true.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'm still fuming over the rigged officiating in Game 5. The Out of bounds, the non-call, the "Phantom foul" (and thats the ESPN announcers term for that foul, not mine)all within the last 4min of the game. We win that game, and we win the series in 6.

Tim Donoughy only confirmed it for us.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

DELIVER ME

15. MFG16

MFG16 Member

To my surprise, I'm not really bitter about this series. Yes it was rigged and we lost after being up 2-0 but being bitter doesn't really do anything for me. Nothing is going to change the fact and its already been 10 years (which shocks me because I remember it so vividly). All I care about now is THIS Rockets team winning. Is it Saturday yet?

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

its crazy to think its been 10 years since this series happened. So much has changed since that night when I first made this video - both for the Rockets and personally. wow

a couple of things

Its still a shame that McGrady's body failed him and his lack of complete dedication to rehab ruined what could have been an amazing career. He put that team literally on his back and played through pain and help carry that team to a 7 game series against a much tough mavs team (remember this was before the NBA changed the rules - the division winners were guaranteed top 3 seeds then so the Mavs had a much better record than the Sonics did but didnt win their division and so we had to play them instead of the Sonics) Looking back at the roster on that team - it was so terrible. Yao was just starting to emerge and wasn't the force he would be the following season.

I mean look at that playoff roster the only players I would warmly welcome onto this years team (outside of tmac and yao) are:

Bob Sura
    Dikembe Mutombo

David Wesley, Jon Barry, Mike James, Ryan Bowen, Scott Padgett, Moochie Norris, Clarence Weatherspoon - not to mention the injured Juwan Howard and Vin Baker. Such a terrible roster thank god we have Morey as a GM who was able to surround his stars with talent to succeed afterwards.

As for bad taste:

That series left me upset for a while mainly because of what followed - Yao's injury, McGrady's injury the season that led to the Rockets being in the lottery again. And then after that a myriad of "what ifs" because either Yao or McGrady kept getting injured. The one year where even McGrady was injured we were loaded enough to win the title and Deke gets hurt and then Yao gets hurt during the playoffs and its game over. I am not so upset at the actual series itself - we were far less talented than the Mavs and probably would have not made it past the Suns had we gotten a call here and there to advance and never even have to deal with a game 7.

I am sure if Morey knew the short shelf life his stars would have had he would have moved them far sooner - at least we can talk about a sustained run now though it seems the injury bug is hitting again. Hopefully whatever issues Dwight has they are not chronic - he has looked great since coming back. He may not be the Dwight that led the Magic to the Finals or the Dwight that was MVP candidate but he is still a force.

I think the Rockets if they had Bev and Dmo would have dispatched the Mavs in 6 or less games. Without them it will be harder of course. Playoff Rondo is still playoff Rondo - we'll see how he does. The good thing is that out of the PGs in the playoffs in the west Rondo is the one that is least going to constantly burn Jet and Prigs with his scoring. They can give Rondo some space so they dont get continuously beat with his quickness.

A lot will depend on if playoff Dwight shows up - if he does then this Rockets team is far better poised to advance than any other Rockets team in the past 5 years. If they advance it will take the taste of that series out of my mouth - to be able to beat the Mavs and then also Parsons would be poetic justice.

A crazy thing though I just realized -- that series was 10 years ago - Jason Terry back then is still older than James Harden is now.

17. SuraGotMadHops

It still stings. I was living up there during that series and the people were just intolerable, add the fact that we got Donaghy'd and Mike Finley'd, I've felt ripped off and I still hear it from my Dallas people to this day. Since that series, they've been to two finals and won a title, and we haven't.

Let's shut these Dallas dbags up once and for all!!!!

Clutch City!!!

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The White Boy Super Squad .. I remember.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I remember. There is still hurt. I would rather lose then and win now then the other way around

Naturally you wanna get both series wins but only Mavs have a chance to do that

We MUST prevent this. Imagine how big dirks head would get.

F dirk, f Cuban , and f Dallas.

20. eslate22

eslate22 Member

I think I've mentioned this before, but I still remember sitting with my buddy and a bottle of crown just downing drinks watching the ENTIRE game 7 blowout... at the end of the game we looked each other dead in the eye and 3 seconds later... we are in an all out brawl... next morning I woke up still so angry that I punched him right in the face to wake him up to fight again