1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

we need to play nick johnson more Friday against the spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Apr 9, 2015.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

You've have to mix up the D on parker, Terry, Brewer, Ariza, etc.. A little of Nick Johnson in the middle of quarters wouldn't hurt.

2. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Jason Terry is a big liability , honestly he does nothing to this team....not on offense not on defense

Nick Johnson is a better ball handler ,better defender, taller, more athletic...you can not let this team down by giving terry 20 min a game its unheard of

The ONLY way terry should be playing is if the other team has an inadequate offensive player terry can just stay in front of.

Another thing i really didnt like from last night....Mchale has a system down for subs , which shows how shallow his basketball knowledge is
    1) it gives the opposing head coach an idea of who your gonna play and when, therefore allowing him to set match ups he wants pre game
    2) it does not give u a clear outlook of which match ups favors us , which combinations work better , etc...

If last night wasn't the last straw for terry than get used to seeing his old gimpy ass run behind pgs until we r eliminated

3. 1Deep

1Deep Member

While I agree with most of what you said your first statement was off base.

JET has been a big part of the Rockets success this year. He's just not a starting PG at this point in his career. He can't stay with the PG's in the West and shouldn't be expected to. Mchale is going to have to be as crafty as Harden is in trying to hide Jet on defense.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not the guy that screams for a backup, but this is a unique situation.

I don't think Johnson is a very good player right now. In fact I think he is below average is all departments except one. But we are in a situation where that one thing he does well is so necessary that we may have to give him a chance.

5. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Jones and DMO. Those have turned out pretty well for us ;)

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

While I agree, he wouldn't be asked to do anything, but guard Parker. He is a decent defender and at the worst.. He can't be any worse than Terry.

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

The fact is Canaan gave Parker fits when he started against him. Lin gave Parker fits when he started against him. Both of those instances were not McHale moments of genius, but yet again, a time when injuries forced McHale's hand. Both times we won. Both times we shut down Parker. Canaan and Lin are not masters of defense. Hardly. They were just quick and youthful enough to fight through picks or recover around picks.

Nick Johnson is both quick and a good defender. And athletic. He has quickness to fight through and recover around picks. He has athleticism to recover and do 'chase down' blocks, which he has shown many times in college and times when given a chance in the NBA. Attempting to equate Nick Johnson to the rawness of Clint Capela or any other rookie, just because they are rookies, is inaccurate because Nick played 3 years of college ball in the PAC-12 with an All-Team Defensive accolade and a PAC-12 Player of the Year accolade.

No one is saying that shooting, passing, decision making will improve or be the same if Terry is replaced by Nick. I'm saying those will dip but it's by far the lesser of two evils when compared to Parker doing this:

Tony Parker makes jumper
    Tony Parker makes 7-foot two point shot
    Tony Parker misses 19-foot jumper
    Jason Terry shooting foul (Tony Parker draws the foul)
    Tony Parker misses free throw 1 of 2
    Tony Parker makes free throw 2 of 2
    Tony Parker makes 7-foot two point shot (Tim Duncan assists)
    Tony Parker makes 3-foot two point shot
    Jason Terry shooting foul (Tony Parker draws the foul)
    Pablo Prigioni enters the game for Jason Terry
    Tony Parker misses free throw 1 of 1
    Tony Parker misses driving layup
    Tony Parker makes 7-foot jumper
    Tony Parker makes driving layup

6-8 at 1st quarter

Tony Parker makes two point shot (Kawhi Leonard assists)
    Tony Parker makes 17-foot two point shot

8-10 at Half.

no adjustments.

Tony Parker makes 8-foot jumper 9-11...
    We let him get up to 82% FG% 9 of 11 with no adjustments and Parker continuing to abuse our 37 year olds.

8. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Nick Johnson would be a test I would not mind running on Friday for a brief period. Parker will roast him for his lack of experience, challenge his below average offense, and basically put him through the ringer. BUT, Nick has the ability and drive to at least put up a fight, as JET and Pablo were at his will. Pablo at least showed PG IQ on offense, tried to keep the ball moving and use what they gave him. JET is only good if he gets up 3/5 from 3PT.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'd like to see McDaniels see some minutes on Parker honestly. He's got even more size and athleticism, and is a minor downgrade from a play-making/ball-handling/shooting standpoint. Towards the end of his tenure in Philly his 3 ball stroke was looking to improve. Can't be worse than Brewers.

However.... who am I kidding. McHale won't even think about playing him. Not sure what his deal is with getting some of these guys PT.

I've been accused of being a McHale apologist many times, but you really can't dismiss the neglect of one of the rosters biggest young talents who has the ability to help this team. Find a way to play him. I don't know how but find a way.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I really do feel for McHale right now with the PG spot.

From a lineup perspective it makes the most sense for Nick J. to start and Terry to come off of the bench. Pablo needs to be third string, period. He is a decent defender but bring nothing to the table offensively. We don't need his passing when Harden handles the ball anyway.

But it has to be frightening to throw a rookie out there against someone like Tony Parker. I think it has to be done in the playoffs though (if we draw a good offensive PG, like Parker/Paul/Conley). Let Terry come off of the bench and Brewer can guard the PG at that time.

I just hope McHale doesn't wait until it's too late. We saw how valuable Troy Daniels was in the playoffs last year, Nick can be this years version of that (albeit for different reasons).

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

People just need to stop this now. Nothing will change until we are down 0-2 in the playoffs. Then possible NJ gets a shot and Capella for Dorsey

12. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Problem with this is you also gotta score, putting nj out there means another help defender for howard and harden especially if jones doesnt do anything

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Pablo and Terry don't provide much scoring. Hell nobody but Smoove, James and Dwight do

14. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Mchale's lack of n**s was huge in this one. I was screaming at the TV,"f*****g put in Nick or start Brewer in the 2nd half" but predictibly no change:mad:

15. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

KJ McDaniels/Nick Johnson on Tony Parker Please!

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Has Nick played since the Wizards game?

17. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I agree that the team doesn't have much to lose putting him out there with the 2nd team, KJ Daniels look pretty good too.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'd rather just start Brewer as SG and Harden as PG. Why are we still acting like Harden isn't our PG? Just acknowledge it and start him there. We'll be significantly better on defense and Brewer deserves to start anyway. Terry coming off the bench to launch threes makes way more sense than him starting. Freaking clueless McHale.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good call. Bring him in for some spot work on defense.

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

If Mchale doesn't put in Capela/KJ and Johnson moving forward he's one Stubborn Coach. Mcdaniels and Johnson can keep Parker in front of them half/most of the time chasing him around. That's all we need. No worse than if Beverly was out there guarding Parker. I don't care if they don't score 2 points...dish out to Harden and keep Parker minimized next time. Thank you for listening McHale