1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN Headline News: Arenas to ink deal with the CLIPPERS

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Anderlicht, Jul 21, 2003.

1. hpscc

hpscc Member

Almost all of those players you mentioned don't deserve the max salary.

With regard to Wilcox, why do a sign-and-trade if you don't want him when you'd most likely have to be getting back mediocre talent at a big salary in return?

I see Sterling as frugal, not cheap. However, we'll see. If he does indeed sign Arenas, and match Magette, and somehow retain Odom along with Brand, then he'll finally be paying big salaries because there's a core of players that are worth the money.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

first off, JV, Sterling was over the cap from 1991-1997, except for one year. And he had the #10th highest salary in 1994. So it is not accurate to say he doesn't go over the cap. It is more accurate to say that he refuses to pay for mediocrity...he'd rather purge and go into the lottery.

JV, in your list of players at LA, not one of them is as good as Brand when Sterling let them go. Not even close, imo, especially considering Brand's age versus them.

btw: Bison Dele's contract is a classic example of letting an overpriced player leave. Sterling was right about that one, just like Maurice.

The Clippers draft picks were just miserable. If one of them had really hit like Brand, we don't really know if Sterling would have kept his complementary players. There is nothing to go by. Him deeping your list of aging stars and complementary players is not comparable to keeping a legit young star in Brand.

You don't think signing Brand to 6yrs max and Dunleavy to $10m commits him to the longterm? Being over the cap starts with having a longterm max'd contract on your hands. As the raises increase it, it doesn't take too many MLEs to get you over.

If he signs 2 of 3 in Maggette, Odom and Arenas, you will just simply have to admit he is committed.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If he goes over the cap, I'll start believing he cares a little about winning. Signing FAs this offseason doesn't mean much considering how much he needs to spend.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not really following your "considering how much he needs to spend" $20m more thing. Theoretically, a team can be comprised of their rookie scales and the rest of the roster at minimum.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Arenas and Maggette are the closest thing to a sure thing in the young FAs. Arenas is only like 21 or 22 and only 2 years in the PG position. He may not be worth 10 million--but there is no doubt he is already very good, with an incredibly high ceilling.

Got to say I think the Clips are making smart moves. They have/will spend the money on the the right guys--Brand, Arenas and Maggette, and letting the more questionable guys who wanted just as much money go--Dre, Kandi and I think Odom if he gets a 7 mil offer or so.

They still lack a superstar go-to-guy--but they look to me like a current .500 team with a nice future.

6. hpscc

hpscc Member

Well Arenas is going to the Wizards ( http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2003/07/21/arenas_wizards/ ), so I guess that makes it more likely Magette will be matched.

Clippers have been talking like they would, and they have their cash to spend now on Corey and Odom.

PG - Jaric
    SG - Quentin
    SF - Magette
    PF - Brand
    CT - Kaman

BENCH - Odom, Dooling, Wilcox, Ely

Not a bad lineup, but Arenas would've helped alot.

7. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Not a bad lineup??? Name 3 others that is worse than that..

Jaric, Q and Kaman were not even true starters. Magette didnt get to start until the second half due to injuries (odom etc.).

8. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

I am glad to hear that Arenas is getting out of Golden State and going to the East. This will really hurt GS chances of getting that last playoff spot. Questionable that Arenas goes to Washington, where his chances to make the playoffs in the East is not so good this year.

C Haywood
    PF Kwame
    SF Stackhouse
    SG Jarvis Hayes
    PG Arenas

Bench: Hughes, J Jefferies, Dixon, Jahidi White

Not a bad nucleus to build around ... should be more exciting than watching Jordan trying to scult the team into his image.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The reasoning was that Sterling will pay out at least $31 million, which is the league minimum. If he doesn't pay it to his players, he pays it to someone else (the league? the players' union?). If he let all his FAs go, and filled out his roster with minimum salary guys, that's $15 to $20 million he'd be spending with no talent to show for. And the problem would repeat each successive year. So, it pays for him to keep his payroll at least in the 30s. I suppose the whole thing is moot now though, since Arenas wised up.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

That is called "addition by subtraction". The Clips are better off without Olo and Maggette. Obviously, Miller didn't do too much last year for them either.

With Dunleavy at coach, I can see the Clips being around .500

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

B/c they lost out on Arenas they will not lose Maggette IMO. Odom they would let walk IMO if he gets a 7+ mil deal from Miami or Denver or someone.

I don't see that team 500 in the west. Barring major surprises they are weaker at C (Kaman, Ely?) and PG (Jaric, ???) than they have been over the last few years. They won't be terrible, but I'd bet they are in the high 300s, low 400 in winning %.