1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    NBA Free Agency opens today! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room at 4:30pm CT as we react live to moves being made by the Rockets and their competition!

NBA Free Agency - LIVE!

Hypocrites.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Jan 20, 2001.

1. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Olajuwon wants to leave because of playing time and a chance to win a championship. All those reasons show selfishness on Hakeem's part. If you think Hakeem hasnt been playing because of his "injury" then you are wrong. I'm sure he is demanding for something to be done and has told the rocks that he wont play. He has put the rocks organization in an akward place because no matter what happens, this sheds a bad light on them.Other fans and the media accuse them of not respecting Dream for what he has given us, and if they waive him he loses his mystique and its just a no win situation. With Francis he TOLD their management, perhaps the worst in the league, that he would not play for them yet they, like the dumbasses they are, drafted him. They needed a power forward, yet they drafted a player who played the same position as their other number 2 pick. Steve is certainly to blame for that fiasco [​IMG] Francis was a player that had done nothing for the Vancouver franchise and their fans had not become attached to him. Also ,unlike the rocks in the Pippen trade, the Grizz got some pretty damn good compensation in Mike, Othella, some scrubs and a 1st rounder. Steve didnt make the Vancouver franchise look bad like some have said. The Vancouver franchise has been a joke since its inception into the league.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited January 20, 2001).]

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The freak..these are two different situations..francis told the team beforehand not to draft him to help both parties sake they didnt and got what they deserved..although we gave them talent for him..as a rockets fan why would i not rejoice an all star pg coming here..
    on hakeem..i beg to differ we owe him anything, yes it is great he brought us two championships..dont get me wrong im an hakeem fan..but let me reiterate what other people said one person does not make a team..also if anything he should be thanking rudyt for not shipping him to toronto, so if anything he should be loyal..all he had to do was say he wasnt gonna retire last offseason..shut his mouth and play out the yr..plus hes not gonna be moved unless it opens up cap space for us to make a run at webber/sign mo and shandon..because the truth is we still need him. my final take he needs to play out the yr then move on(he should retire..hes tarnishing his image) and if anyone owes someone anything hakeem owes the city of houston for embracing him like we did at u of h and the rockets..were the ones who made him feel welcomed..

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I bet Hakeem wishes he had been traded to Toronto. They would pretty much be the best team in the east, and Hakeem would have a chance for a title by making the finals. I agree that he should play out the year. That, however, is up to the Rockets organization. If Rudy decides to utilize Hakeem properly, all will be good with the Rockets again.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

To h*ll with the Francis analogy - how does he get dragged into this? He's working his butt off for this team (people change, just like Hakeem - remember?). Let's stick to the subject at hand - Hakeem.

We passed up a good trade out of loyalty and nothing else, now he wants out and wants Les to pay him $16M to play elsewhere when his team desperately needs a center? What kind of selfish garbage is that?

He wants more court time? Even with the limited minutes that he gets, he cannot hold up physically.

Wake-up Hakeem. We still love you but show some grace. It's embarrassing.

------------------
    Cohen

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Embarassing? To who? I really don't see why Hakeem would care if a select bunch of internet-fans disagree with his "behavior". Its time for the Hakeem bashers to wake up, and realize that if they were in Hakeem's shoes, they would probably make the same decisions he is making now. He wants to do his job, but the Rockets won't let him. He has every right to act the way he has been acting. Hakeem bashers- get a bloody clue.
    Hakeem wants to play- Rudy won't let him, so Hakeem wants to go where he can be utilized. There is nothing wrong with that.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Hmmm, let me think. Maybe not practicing, sulking after games when he thinks he hasn't gotten the ball, getting more public and insistent every day about wanting to play for another team.

Yes,he is quiting on the Rockets. I don't care how unhappy he is with his "current situation", he needs to realize he is not the player he once was and adjust his freaking game.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

7. MManal

MManal Member

ZRB your analysis of this situation is hilarious.

Would you say that the Lakers extending Shaq's contract was being loyal, or making a smart basketball decision.

Hmmmmm, maybe its b/c Shaq was in the middle of his prime and 5 yrs younger than Hakeem was when he received his contract? Hakeem was 33-34 yrs old when he received his fat 5 yr extension AND the Rockets didnt deal him to Toronto when they had the opportunity.

If the Rockets hadn't drafted Hakeem, another team would have, so don't start saying that he owes the Rockets anything.

I dont know how I couldve handled having Michael Jordan on this team. You do know that Air Jordan was picked AFTER Dream right? I wouldve been so sad to see 6 championship banners hanging from rafters instead of 2 let me tall ya.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There is an obvious fundamental difference between Hakeem's current situation and the situation with Francis in Vancouver. Steve's comments came before he was drafted and before he signed a contract. He had not made a commitment to the team. Hakeem's comments have come after he signed a contract. He should have weighed the possibility that at the end of the contract his skills would be diminished and the team may be going in a different direction. Perhaps he did, but it seems he didn't.

------------------

9. Steve_Francis_rules

What Pippen did was different because he started publicly criticizes a teammate (Barkley) in order to force a trade. Francis had just been drafted and didn't owe the Grizzles anything, whereas the Rockets have been loyal to Hakeem for 17 years and he owes them as much as they owe him.

------------------

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Freak, I'm still trying to figure out why you're still a Rockets' fan. I mean, it's obvious you hate the fans of the team, and it's more obvious that you like the parts rather than the sum (you couldn't even get upset when Elie quit on the team). I guess you'll be starting a Heat BBS in the near future?

I can be honest enough with myself to say that I'd hate Francis if he did that to the Rockets. I also understand completely why the Grizz fans hate Francis. The difference is, Francis didn't do it to my team. I could care less what he did before as long as he never does it to my team. And if he leads us to 14 championships in a row, then wants to screw the Rockets by not honoring his contract, guess what? I'll be saying the same things about him that I'm saying about Dream. Don't try to f*ck over my team, I don't care who you are or what you've done.

See ya Tuesday! [​IMG]

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com, coming January 20th, the top 10 films of 2000!

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

No one knew just how good MJ was going to be. Don't say that the Rockets deliberately passed him up to be nice to Hakeem. Hakeem was putting up GREAT numbers when he got that extension. He may not have been as young as Shaq, but the Rockets would have been pretty stupid not to resign him.

------------------

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

and not one person knew how good hakeem was going to be.

i've seen too many posters here claiming how we wouldn't have won without hakeem. guess what? we would have probably won more with MJ. no b****ing, just the truth. we don't owe hakeem anything more than cheers, memories, and $16 million dollars.

he owes us a few more months of playing 100%. and as long as he doesn't do it, i say he's being a punk. does anyone here believe hakeem has been playing his hardest this year? how many times have you seen him RUN up court? how many times have you seen him JUMP for a board? yes, he has been productive - that is a credit to his talent, but i have not seen him playing 100% - injuries notwithstanding.

broke knee, migraine, ulcers, chronic flatulation...whatever. i don't care. i want 100% of what you can do. and i don't think hakeem's doing that. if he'll clam up and play hard the rest of the season, all is forgiven.

------------------
    :mad:

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Knowing the Rockets, they would have drafted Sam Bowie. Its always a good move to draft a center over a guard, anyway.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited January 21, 2001).]

14. ktfirstbsktnewmillenium

You really are a freak the Freak. FRANCHISE IS OUR SUPERSTAR MORON!

------------------
    OKSANA BAIUL IS THE BEST!

15. Thanos

Thanos Member

Freak, since you have chosen to play the part of Hakeem's defendant, i would like to see a reply to this post, since you ignored it in the other tread.

And i still stand by my Pippen comparison.

------------------
    "Dream another dream, this dream is over... Dream another dream, this dream is over... Dream another dream..." - from the Van Halen song, "Dream Another Dream". Fitting, isn´t it?

16. MManal

MManal Member

Knowing the Rockets, they would have drafted Sam Bowie.

I suppose you were sitting in the front office with them and were privy to their conversations regarding the draft? You are just ASSUMING that since Portland made the mistake, the Rockets would do the same. Forget the fact that the Blazers had reasons (even though misguided ones) for making that pick. Lets completely ignore all that and ASSUME the Rockets would have taken Bowie over Jordan. You crack me up. Get over it, the Rockets have more than re-paid anything they owed Dream, and he is not holding up his end of the bargain. Just live with it, Dream is not as golden as your mind perceives him to be.

------------------

Draftsource.net

17. MManal

MManal Member

Thanos, thats an excellent point on Barkley's loyalty. When the Rockets traded for him, Barkley spoke about how grateful he was to the Rockets management since they had continuously tried to acquire him over the course of the previous season and in the end gave up such a huge amount. This is likely a major part of the reason why he chose to remain in Houston and not bolt to the Lakers in pursuit of his championship ring. At any point after he became a FA, Barkley could have taken the easy road and bolted to the Lakers to get his ring, but he remained loyal to the Rockets management that showed so much respect for him in a continual effort to acquire him.

------------------

Draftsource.net

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

If Dream wants to be waived so bad, then waive him......of course, on the condition that he gives up the eight million dollars that he's supposed to be paid for the rest of the season. If he's willing be honorable like that, then it really is all about his love of the game and his desire to win.

Of course, if he's not willing to give back a pro-rata portion of his income, then he's just a lying sack of ****, and he deserves to rot on the bench.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

First off, to Clutch, there's no reason for you to be offended by anything I said. I'm being general here...the people I'm referring to know who they are. As for the BBS comment in my sig--the last thing I want to do is put down the site or the board. I thought it was clear that I was referring to individual posters, not the site. I'll go ahead and nix the sig so as not to cause anymore controversy. Thanks for the response though.

R95, you crack me up. The people I 'hate' aren't FANS, first of all. Secondly, I honestly don't know what you're talking about with Elie. You obviously have some personal fixation on Elie that blurs your ability to think rationally. The guy is a Houston sports hero. Apart from that, he's a HUMAN. Just like everyone else. I really wish you'd quit being so holier-than-thou with professional athletes. That's all they are, ATHLETES. They play basketball for a LIVING. If you ever become a disgruntled employee, and still find it in you to give 100%, then I applaud you. But until you can practice what you preach, you should probably keep your mouth shut. Also, no matter what you read, you don't know the full story. Keep that in mind the next time you go shooting your mouth off and slamming someone's character.

All I can say is, that's absurd. So basically you're condoning THE BEHAVIOR, as long as it doesn't happen while the guy's on your team? Let's extend that a little further--how bout a guy murders his coach? Is that okay as long as it's not Rudy? So basically, a basketball player can do anything he wants, and you'll say it's okay, as long as it doesn't happen while he plays for the Rockets? Man, I wish I had your value system. It sure would make it a whole lot easier. Looking forward to seeing you Tuesday as well. [​IMG]

When you enter the NBA draft, YOU MAKE A COMMITMENT TO THE LEAGUE TO PLAY FOR WHOMEVER SELECTS YOU! This is so obvious, that it is simply hilarious for people to defend anything to the contrary. The only difference between the two is that Francis' situation was so much WORSE! He undermined the fundamental idea behind the draft! Hakeem simply voiced his displeasure about his current situation! Happens all the time! If Kevin Garnett did it, and he ended up in Houston as a result, you'd all be loving it! That's called hypocrisy!

And Thanos, you're a moron! [​IMG] The Van Halen song is called "This Dream is Over", not "Dream Another Dream"! How can I respond to anyone that misses that obvious fact! Anyway, to respond to your post...Barkley in my opinion was all about BARKLEY. Don't be fooled by his 'playing for the minimum' crap. This guy got more endorsement money than anyone except Jordan. It was all a front for him to look 'unselfish'. If you want to bash Hakeem, GO AHEAD if it makes you feel better. If consistency means nothing to you, that's your prerogative. The fact is Hakeem never trashed the city of Houston, never undermined the draft process. Our starting point guard did all these things, yet no one has a problem with it. That's the only thing I have a problem with.

20. Band Geek Mobster

You know what else is hypocrisy? Talking about loyalty and staying with one franchise for your entire career and then when you're no longer the focal point on the team asking to be traded. When that toronto deal fell through all I saw on tv was Rudy and CD and Dream rambling about being loyal to each other. Rudy and CD pulled through and stayed loyal to Dream, but what about Dream? He wants out, so much for loyalty. If you want a hypocrite look at #34, I guess staying with one city for his entire college and pro career isnt as important to him as he made it seem back then.

------------------