1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This means nothing. Average players have good games all the time. See Jeremy Lin.

DMo and tjo need to be consistent to be the stars we want them to be.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Hmmm when was that?

3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Who can teach this kid to rebound?

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Players dont 'learn to rebound'.

I have been saying it since Mo Taylor!! People were all 'if he gets taught to rebound'. Uh, no. Doesnt happen.
    Stop viewing DMo as a rebounding deficiency, and start seeing him as a post positive, and your life will be happier

1 person likes this.
  5. jlwee

jlwee Member

Before the all-star break, Dmo was averaging 6-7 rpg, not great but not bad.

Since then, he was averaging 3-4 rpg which is horrible for a 7 footer who played more than 30 mpg.

I know Dmo will never be a great rebounder and never expect him to be a double digit rebounder. I just want to know what is the reason behind his dropping rebounding from 6 per game to 3 per game. Fatigue? Pressure? The opposite teams have him figured out???

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Some posters only look at the positives of DMo and other only at the negatives. It appears difficult to look at the whole picture. I think the positives outweigh the negatives. What he brings to our team is really needed (besides Harden we do not have players who can create their own shot). Unfortunatly with Dwight our his weakeness is also the weakeness of the entire team, we do not have good rebounders on our team. So his weakeness show very clearly.

With Dwight back getting those defensive rebounds DMo weakeness will not be that visible. It is similar with Beverly, he is not a good distributing point guard, and when Harden is playing it doesn't matter as much, since the other things he brings to the table really help the team and Harden is doing the distibuting of the ball. But when you have a weak distributing SG next to Beverly it becomes very clear how terrible he is at it, and it becomes a big problem.

If Dwight comes back healthy we can really do some damage this post season. But if he does not come back healthy we can also lose in the first round again.

1 person likes this.
  7. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG] Lithuanian Lycan [​IMG]
    <iframe src="https://vine.co/v/OYLxUhvqPzq/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

8. i3artow i3aller

:eek: Slippery Eel :grin:
    <iframe src="https://vine.co/v/OYLUW0u30H1/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>
    :p

9. straight forwar

Now look - D-mo's rebound numbers were horrible lately and that's true. The team's rebounding numbers aren't that horrible tough. It means D-mo makes some job done to get team's rebounding better. Should he garbb more rebs? Surely. Why he's not doing that now? He doesn't have enough stenght yet to go against center to to box out and rebound at the same time. Specially playing He now can only box out. Specially now when he's playing 38 minutes per game. He knows how much effort and where he can give now. Strenght always was the main issue with D-mo, but he showed plently of improvement at this point this year so I expect that he will only improve further.

D-mo can rebound. He holds one of the best Euroleague's records with 21 rebounds (24 is the best record). He had some nice rebounding games when he still had fresh legs. He's not going to be a great rebounder, but he can be solid. Now he's horrid at rebounding because going against big centers and is a bit gassed. Put current fresh D-mo against powerforwards and he'll give you 7 rebounds in 32 minutes. That's very decent knowing his defence is good. Marc Gasol grabbs 8 boards in 34 minutes. Give D-mo 2 years and I bet he'll be able to do that.

10. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Yes, D-Mo's problems relating to rebounding aren't primarily caused by lack of skill/bad fundamentals. He boxes out well and is in the right position at least somewhat consistently.

In Europe he was a good-if-not-great rebounder.

The problem is, that just doesn't work in the NBA when you have:

1) Really short arms (has to tip when others grab, for example)
    2) No jumping ability (neither quick or high)
    3) Balance issues not relating to strength (how many times have you seen him fall on his ass from pretty regular contact from smaller players?)

When pretty much every opponent is bigger, longer or more athletic than you, the fundamentals don't really help you that much. Getting stronger helps some, but other than that, there isn't much you can do.

The other ways to overcome those problems are "heart"=relentless energy (Luis Scola, Kenneth Faried, Reggie Evans) or superior instincts ("nose for the ball"). It's pretty safe to say that D-Mo doesn't have those instincts or the motor and "heart" and those can't really be developed.

He is what he is, rebounding wise. Now, pair him with a big, strong rebounder and rim protector and he can be an effective starting bíg in this league.

And for the fans, quit the "but he is a 7 footer" **** as if that means anything.

11. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

WOW, a DMo thread has become over 3300 posts.
    Isn't this the guy who didn't play 1 minute in last years playoffs???
    Isn't this the guy who had to play in the Summer League to get PT this year??
    Isn't this the guy who if he would have been cut or traded in the offseason, just about no-one would have missed him???
    Isn't this the team whose starting C and PF have only played 4 games together this year???
    Isn't this the team whose starting C and PF have only played in 57 of the teams 70 games combined???
    Isn't this team 3rd in the West, overcoming all of this misfortune???
    And yet DMo appears to be the root of all evil in the Rockets world. Wouldn't we be 70-0 if DMo would just play better???

Guys and girls, I think you are missing an historically overachieving Rockets team this year, that is as spirited as any Rockets team has ever been and are missing the joy and entertainment value of watching these guys play and never quit. On top of that, has there been a Rocket besides Dream who has been as clutch a shooter as Harden has been this year??? MVP or no MVP, what a season that guy is having.

1 person likes this.
  12. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That seemed to be the first time I'd ever seen DMo shoot a JUMP shot. :grin:

14. dron

dron Member

lol agree. dmo is exactly like that scrub Scalabrine, they both from time to time can surprise everyone. Only problem is they do that accidentally.

15. omgTHEpotential

First of all, Brian Scalabrine has made it into NBA, I'm just going to guess that he has achieved more than you have - correct me if I'm wrong. So perhaps "scrub" isn't the word you were looking for.

Secondly, in his best statistical season in NBA Brian was averaging 6.3ppg and 4.5rpg. DMo is 12/6 in his third season.

I do agree that DMo needs to become more consistent (better defense and rebounding would be nice too). But aside from that, he's massively talented and has a huge skillset.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So you are saying our team has one guy whoss playing at the MVP level like Dream at his prime and our team is still "an historically overachieving team",

that means all his teammates must be putting up some pathetic performance for this overachieving result?

Better check your logic.

17. dron

dron Member

lol royce white also made it to nba. thats automatically mean that he achieved more than you or i have or ever will in our entire life.
    as i said before, they both can surprise us. too bad they do that accidentally.
    p.s. Scalabrine was extremely talented (compared to Kwame Brown lol)

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Donatas has been great this season.

19. omgTHEpotential

Did he? Really?

Maybe as a college player. But DMo is on another tier as far as NBA goes:

+ Elite post-game
    + Very good passing
    + IQ
    + Unselfish, team player
    + Elite speed for a 7-footer
    + Above average defense
    + Shoots threes at above average %
    + Above average rim-protector (%)

- Sub-par FT% (nowhere near as bad as DeAndre Jordans or Drummonds of the league)
    - Sub-par rebounding
    - Not a shot-blocker
    - Inconsistency

20. dron

dron Member

dmo is soft like toilet paper and thats all we need to know about him, btw he play good only against bad front court so everything you just wrote doesn't count.
    We should better stop this discussion because you are just fan who have "halo effect" on a certain player.