1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Yeah I certainly agree, I'm just not sure how motivated the staff will be to add a guard/center in FA. Maybe they wait for the dust to settle and see who is available for a near-minimum contract.

Blalock would be nice, could probably start for us while allowing Jones to get valuable experience at Center...likely too expensive though.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The '40 catches' was negotiating with Andre' to come off the $16 million cap hit. Have you people never negotiated anything?

DGB may be a beast, may be a 100 catch guy, may be a 10 touchdown guy (may bethe next Andre'). You draft playmakers in the first round, unless you think you are filling a hole with a future pro bowler. I just don't know who has seen enough of the guy or knows him well enough, but that's why he's a 16 and not a top 5.

There will be good, serviceable, back-up linemen available as late as the last cuts next August. The guys we have, including X at guard and Jones at C are the starters.Unless, a 3rd or 4th rounder takes the spot.

OLB or WR, 1st and 2nd.

And I really think OLB but he would have to have a better grade than DGB, that'd be tough.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...eenbeckham-shows-no-1-wr-potential-at-pro-day

#222 Dubious, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

DGB has potential to be one of the best receivers in the league...honestly, don't care if our 2nd WR is supposed to have a diminished role. If you have a talented player, you utilize that player. Great coaches can figure it out.

I'd take DGB over any receiver in this draft...I know others are rated higher, but this dude has been my top guy.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

DGB would be amazing. He's got off field issues but he's got the most upside in this WR class

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

If this is true, then you start off the "negotiations" with Andre as "we want to keep you at a reduced salary" and not "we expect you to catch 40 balls".

So, either BOB's system is too rigid to even try to accommodate a larger role for WR2, or the Texans were full of crap.

Whether it's the former or the latter, it's a little disconcerting.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Not sure if you meant to quote me...but, I think you are absolutely correct. The Texans approach to this situation was incredibly poor. Like you said, either the system is too rigid or BOB was basically an ******* to a Houston legend. Either way, it's not a good look and I do fault the organization for approaching the situation in this manner.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Andre had 85 catches last year and Deandre had 76. The other WR's had 38. I'm not worried about OB scheming according to the talent we have. I think people might get too hung up on the New England thing and think that OB is incapable of adjusting to his personnel or maximizing what he can get out of what he has.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

When negotiating anything, your salary, the price of a used car, you advocate for your side of it. 'Full of crap' is the modus operandi. It can look ridiculous, it can feel ridiculous but that is the way people have operated for thousands of years. That's why people hire lawyers and agents, because they can argue a point without conviction.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I would be happy drafting an impact WR even if its not our #1 need and even with Hopkins. We need more impact players... and we need to increase our success rate in the draft. What wouldbe the downside of a WR coming in that was so good that Hopkins is our WR2? And wouldn't that correlate to an improvement in Mallett?

That said... defensive backfield, and specifically safety, moves up in importance with Lewis signing with BAL. Unless there is one we are targeting in the second...

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We just signed a safety.... Had we resigned Lewis, he would have been a backup....

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think we still need a third safety, and to be honest, not all that sold on DJ.

12. Remii

Remii Member

I just looked at one draft site to see were he was ranked and it said per sources the Texans and Eagles have ruled him out. But who's to say how true that is.

Todd Gurley is still the guy I would like them to draft though.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

After taking Clowney last year and that not turning out so well the Texans can't afford to take a gamble guy. Especially for a guy like DGB who pushed a woman down the stairs and has had multiple drug possession charges. Not a Texans guy.

If the top 3 WR's are gone I could see the Texans going with Jaelen Strong over DGB if they still want WR. He's very similar to Hopkins.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

DGB has character issues so we can rule him out

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If we go pass rushers in the first round, count me in for Bud Dupree. I think he will be great.

In fact, if we don't get one of the top 3 receivers, and he's available, I'd take him over anyone else.

#235 Two Sandwiches, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Just as long as they dont draft another DE and switch him to LB.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2 top quality RB's in this draft - Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon. It's. A huge drop to #3.

I keep hearing that Dallas may reach for Gordon to fill the Demarco Murry hole.

If so, Texans might be in a great position to trade down from #16. Chargers at #17 have nothing at RB, having lost Ryan Matthews to the Eagles. Their best RB on the roster is Donald Brown. If one of the two top RB's is on the board, I think there is a decent chance they pick them.

If someone below the Chargers falls in love with a RB, they'd be wise to trade above the Chargers if they really want them.

18. Cannonball

I don't think there's anybody we could take that would immediately make Hopkins WR2.

19. rocketshot10

rocketshot10 Member

I would go

1. DGB
    2.Denzell Perryman
    3. Gerod Holliman

20. Cannonball

Isn't he a free safety? Didn't we just sign Moore who is also a FS?