1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

who starts, how are the minutes for the bigs distributed when dwight returns?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fonzie_004, Mar 8, 2015.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

DMo is our worst defender at the PF spot...

Check the defensive dashboard at nba.com. Jones has the best 'opponent FG%', and it isn't even close. Add to that he is a weakside shotblocker, and we have the very obvious choice for defensive purposes. DMo had one hot month, Jones has been consistent across the year.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dwight shows his hook and TJones for the rebound slam!

Rocket River

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Wow, that would be news to me. I admit I'm going off informative posts in the past and the eye test.

I wonder if part of this has to do with the fact that D-Mo has played against first units more often and guarded the best opposing big routinely this season? Jones has played with Howard, D-Mo and Smith.. I've seen that he typically guards the worst big on the floor at any given time.

In any case, I'm really indifferent to the thought of individual competition. My post was intended to say our 4 needs to be the best defender out of D-Mo and T Jones. Both of those guys are good compliments to our stars and that should be the #1 consideration on this team. To me, Smith is too ineffective from outside the paint and inefficient in everything he does to be considered a good fit to pair with Harden and Howard.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight needs to play duncan type of minutes. He may be only 28 but the wear and tear of his right knee suggests that he needs to truly be limited in his play time. We need to focus on his longevity and start using alot of Spurs methods of preserving players. Save him for the playoffs and last month.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean the D.H. who hasn't looked very good this season?

6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yea dude has been hurt, but I would take a 75 percent d12 in the playoffs. Just was a beast in the playoff last year #neverforget

7. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

I want to see dwight and dmo starting with all the post ups going to dmo.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like having dual post threats in the starting lineup with Dwight and Dmo. I am more inclined to keep an offensive weapon like Dmo with the first group. I like How Jones, Smith, and Brewer play together off the bench, and I'm not sure DMO fits with them so much

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Dmo starting just makes us too slow on rotations defensively on the perimeter IMO. But offensively he is a better fit due to his 3 point shooting and low post games.

10. AXG

AXG Member

Start Howard and Jones, about 28 minutes each. DMo and Smith off the bench, about 20 minutes each.

11. PeppermintCandy

I think we have a lot of talent in the front court, but I'm not sure how they fit together.

In the starting lineup, Howard is of course a given. And I think Jones meshes best with Howard. (Though honestly, if there were more time, I'd like to see how Smith would do second time around as a starter)

Then, it's a matter of figuring out the second unit. My dilemma would be that Smith and Dmo are not the best fit together. Actually, DMo's ideal front court parter in our lineup would be Dorsey. However, there's really no room for Dorsey once Howard gets back.

So, the lineup would be

PF: Jones/Smith
    C: Howard/DMo

Pretty good, but not a perfect fit, IMO.

12. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Jones/smith
    Dwight/DMo

Minutes depend on match ups and how close the game is. I have really enjoyed seeing jones and smith play together

My favorite line up so far is

Harden/brewer/ariza/smith/jones

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I agree with this completely. Each and every one of your points is spot on. We've really only seen a Jones/Howard line-up twice this season and although it was very efficient and effective, D-Mo makes more sense as the starter.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

can he PLEASE come off the bench?

16. Red Rising

Red Rising Member

DMO should start IMO.

17. PeppermintCandy

Good in theory, but in almost every game that those two players started together, DMo seemed to lack aggressiveness. It's like he defers to Howard, and I don't think it's McHale telling him to either. I'm not sure if this dynamic can be resolved in the remaining regular season games.

18. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

I'm guessing with DMo being the least experienced in the playoffs, he's going to lose the most minutes when the real games start. I don't see McHale not setting a set lineup and mixing it up, he's not that imaginative. So whomever it is who loses the most minutes is going to be a disappointed and at least inwardly unhappy player.

I'm guessing when DHo comes back, he'll increase minutes as time goes by leading to the playoffs, but the fact is they need his rebounding and defense but whatever time he takes, someone else is going to be losing time. The good thing is all 3 of those guys have different games, so it may go by matchups but most likely, 1 of them is going to lose a lot if not all of their minutes.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I concur.

We're playing well right now. Best thing is for Howard to come off the bench until he is fully back in the groove and we see how his knee is doing.

20. hakeemthagreat

Even though DMo's post game is better. Jones is the better overrall player at this point. He rebounds, defends & just does all the intangibles better. I don't know who should start. If DMo keeps hitting his 3's I'd lean towards DMo. But if Jones keeps playing at this level then why not bring DMo off the bench behind Dwight?