1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Analytics on ref Ken Mauer: no surprise he didn't call a foul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WeLetLinGo, Mar 6, 2015.

1. WeLetLinGo

WeLetLinGo Member

Don't know if anyone saw this, but check this out about Ken Mauer...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/bull50">@bull50</a> No big surprise Mauer didn't call a foul on <a href="https://twitter.com/JHarden13">@JHarden13</a> drive. Mauer ranks low calling shooting fouls. If only Harden had known that</p>&mdash; RefAnalytics (@RefAnalytics) <a href="https://twitter.com/RefAnalytics/status/573591695662579712">March 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mauer was the ref McHale was complaining to after the game. He was probably in the best position to make that call.

Rather than expecting the refs to get calls right and complaining about it all the time, it seems like it would make sense for teams to understand the refs' tendencies and "playing the percentages" like they do when defending (or attacking) opposing players.

But for some reason NBA teams seem reluctant to use analytics about the refs like they do with the players. It's like, "What I don't know won't hurt me." But the data exists!

2 people like this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ken Mauer has the highest hair product usage though.

Never liked him. He has the ref mafia personification thing going for himself.

BTW, you should ask Clutch to change your moniker to "WeLetLinGox2"

#2 Zboy, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I doubt Morey doesn't have that info. I also doubt he hasn't made it accessible to Harden.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Don't drive to the basket, another defender might come across and mug you. Is that what you're going with eh?

Harden isn't Lebron James, he just doesn't go "i'm gonna drive no matter what", if his man is up too far he drives, if his man is giving him room he does his step back

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, if one ref in a game crew calls more blocks than charges and another of the three calls more charges than blocks, do they offset each other? Should players look for which one is on the left side of the court vs the right and drive to the basket on the side that the block-caller is on?

I find it curious that the RefAnalytics guy founded YaoMingMania.com and WeLetLinGo is sharing his tweets with us.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

I appreciate whoever it is out there that is keeping track of the analytics of different referees, but that shouldn't even be necessary. A foul should be a foul- no matter what time of the game it is or who the referee is.

7. LG1200

LG1200 Member

i believe this guy actually spoke or submitted his research to the Sloan Conference either last year or a few years ago. i'm Daryl knows about him and his research, but whether he uses it is another story.

8. WeLetLinGo

WeLetLinGo Member

In a late-game situation when you've got the ball and you see where the refs are lining up, you can probably do some of what your suggesting. Doing it every possession may be more complex unless all 3 refs exhibit the same tendencies.

I followed that YMM guy b/c I'm Asian-American, too (and liked Yao), then followed him when he mentioned he was doing the ref analytics thing. I hadn't seen him tweet about the Rockets much until this one today, so I hadn't brought it up in this forum.

FWIW: I created this handle after we let Lin go the first time and then Morey ultimately decided it was worth bringing him back on that 3-year deal. Now I hear once Lin's 3-year deal is over in LA, he could become a backup again here.

I know there are still lots of critics of Lin, and my handle is polarizing for some reason, so I don't really care to get beat up from the haters. But say what you will, even Charlie Palillo, who bashed Lin (and now Beverley), admits that Lin was a solid backup. But let's move on from all that...maybe I should create a new handle so people don't get distracted with the Lin thing.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

analytics for refs is facked up. a foul's a foul unless you think players just happen to foul less when ken mauer is doing the game. nba fouls are usually a bit more standard than say a strike zone which can vary between umpires for example. nba refs got to be more consistent between each other to the point you can't tell which refs have which tendencies.

10. WeLetLinGo

WeLetLinGo Member

Are you kidding that NBA fouls are more 'standard'? You contradicted yourself from one sentence to another. There is so much subjectivity in how fouls are called, like the phrase "ticky tack" and "touch" fouls versus "they're letting them play tonight," and then you agreed with what I'm saying when you say "NBA refs got to be more consistent between each other..." So we are saying the same thing.

The question is if that's ever going to happen since refs are human and officiating is very subjective. It hasn't happened yet, and probably never will, so the next question is should teams whine about it, or use the data to their advantage. It's sad that refs will never be perfect, just like players never will be, so maybe using data and stats on referees is the way to go. Something to think about.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

mauer was always one of gene peterson's most hated

1 person likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

JVG used to talk about there were 3 teams on the floor and you had to know the tendencies of all 3.

DD

2 people like this.
  13. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Does Ken Mauer eyeing the ball outweight an elite finisher driving the ball with his man beat?

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

Can't hate on a guy's face, after all it is not much most people could do about that, but dude has such a hateable mug.

15. WeLetLinGo

WeLetLinGo Member

Very good question. There's probably some analytics that could be done to help answer that question. Also, a similar question is to maybe hold back on driving to the basket too many times throughout a game since the refs may reward you "too often" with a foul (in their minds), and then when you really need a bucket in a late-game situation, they may not reward you because they feel subconsciously they may have given you too many trips to the free throw line, and they swallow their whistle because of classic omission bias.

It's kind of like with players who make the same move too many times and "go to the well" too often and start missing when they really need buckets late in a close game. Or a team that falls in love with 3-pointers in the first half, then can't hit any of them late in a game when they need it. Perhaps they feel subconsciously they have "used up" all their good fortune and don't have confidence they can keep hitting them. Maybe refs think the same way in rewarding players.

The psychological aspect of how players and referees react when they've had done the same thing repeatedly in a game would be fascinating to study. There's probably lots of data for players to do a study like that. It would be interesting if there's data on referees to do that.

16. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

There is a difference between not calling close fouls and not calling obvious ones. The Harden foul was an incredibly easy, obvious call to make and it was ignored.

17. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Sad that part if preparing for the game is to prepare for the officials. You should be able to get consistent performances from all ref crews.

18. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Then Mauer should be fined. Adam Silver should call a "technical" on ref Ken Mauer for not going to replay and ignoring the foul.. Refs for refs..

19. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

I think we all saw enough of what happened in memphis back in the 09' season. Granted Harden>>>>>Aaron Brooks but the same principle applies. If your jumpshot is so godamn deadly and you have your defender on an island (especially if said defender is not kawhi or james johnson) Harden should look to take the step back nearly all the time.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

"If you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

-Sun Tzu

(excellent thread, by the way)