1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shocking] Police Routinely Violate Rights Of "The Blacks" in Ferguson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Mar 3, 2015.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I gotta hand it to the Ferguson protesters and rioters. Whatever happened with Brown, they managed to accomplish something for their community. Ham Jam, you're right that this would not have happened without assertive action on the street. But, I call this reform (or the start of one).

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What did they accomplish, besides the murder of NYPD officers Liu and Ramos?

I cannot respect violent protesters. Apparently you can. Shameful.

3. Hou_rox

Hou_rox Member

The same people who take police reports as undeniable facts are here questioning a DOJ report. Funny.

4. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I hope you are right, and this really is the start of reform. I would love to be proven wrong in my idea that reform is impossible.

Let's see though. My guess is the government acts like Ferguson is a totally exceptional situation, instead of being how a lot of places in this country are. At best I think they take measures to change Ferguson, but nothing changes in all the other parts of the nation just as bad as Ferguson. At worst nothing changes at all.

Like I say -- I hope I am wrong. Everyone should keep an eye on this though, and be prepared to give up on the possibility of reform if it fails to be created by the government yet again. I mean, how many times do we have to have the government disappoint us before we give up on it and resort to more violent methods?

5. HamJam

They accomplished this report being created. If they would not have taken to the streets, that never would have happened. (EDIT) And any subsequent reform that comes from this report is something they will also be responsible for.

And why do you have a problem respecting violent protesters (who may have indirectly led to the death of two people), but no problem respecting violent police and corrupt judges (who have certainly and directly led to the death and unjust incarceration of much much more than two people)?

#45 HamJam, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. bigtexxx

Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. It is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than to convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys a community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.
    – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

We need more who think like Dr King rather than the simple-minded, revenge-oriented thoughts of HamJam and JuanValdez.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well most importantly they got to steal a bunch of stuff and have fun vandalizing and burning everything in sight. That has intrinsic value IMO. It's not every day that you get to act like a savage in a civilized society.

8. HamJam

Hey Juan, you just got lumped in with my violent ***. That isn't fair by the way texx, Juan has done a great job recently trying to walk me away from the ledge I insist on staying on.

Speaking of King quotes though, how about this gem:

or this one:

1 person likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. They didn't murder those NYPD officers. Brinsley did. Or do you not believe in personal responsibility anymore?

2. If we are to attribute responsibility to catalysts, why not put the blame on the Ferguson PD who apparently have been systematically repressing the black community there for years to engender the protests and riots in the first place? It seems arbitrary where you allow the buck to stop.

3. What they accomplished was to force the DOJ to study whether there were civil rights abuses in the Ferguson area. It seems unlikely they would have chosen to do so if Ferguson protesters hadn't kept the pressure up for weeks.

4. They weren't all violent rioters. Many people protested peacefully. But I'm totally not surprised you'd paint the protest with such a large brush. It's funny how you can require so much statistical precision from the DOJ findings (which no doubt exists in the official report if you ever read it), but are happy to rely on anecdote to characterize the nature of the Ferguson protests.

5. Whether they have your respect or not -- or mine, or anyone else's -- they still got the investigation from the DOJ. Respect is irrelevant. They got results.

I don't think this will be a total game-changer or anything. They'll clean things up a little in Ferguson. But DOJ has done similar investigations in other towns and probably will continue to do so for the remainder of Obama's administration (Ted Cruz's administration probably won't be doing it, I'm guessing :rolleyes:). It's incremental improvement. Probably too subtle to really tell anything's happened. But, I think we're in a better spot than we were in, say, 1980, and I'm optimistic for 2040. I understand you want better, faster results -- I just don't think it's possible.

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I agree. Violence is never the answer.

Sincerely,

The Founding Fathers

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ferguson police report: Most shocking parts - CNN.com
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/04/politics/ferguson-justice-report-shocking/index.html

(CNN)Police in Ferguson often treated residents as the city's personal ATM.

One woman has paid $550 on what was original a $151 fine for two parking tickets -- and, more than seven years later, she still owes $541.

The police also let dogs loose on residents, sometimes without warning.

One 14-year-old African-American boy said he was waiting for his friends at a house, unarmed, when police released a dog that bit his ankle, thigh and arm.

Harassment was also a common occurrence.

An African-American man was cooling off in his car after playing basketball in a public park in Ferguson, Missouri, in 2012 when a police officer approached him and accused him of being a pedophile.

This was the atmosphere of the city where white Officer Darren Wilson and 18-year-old African-American Michael Brown confronted each other last August -- with Wilson's shooting of Brown triggering months of protests that only intensified after local officials decided not to charge Wilson with a crime.

The Justice Department completed a months-long review of the case and released those results Wednesday. The report cites "unlawful bias against and stereotypes about African-Americans," and points to a number of violations of constitutional rights.

Attorney General Eric Holder said a "highly toxic environment" existed between Ferguson police officers and the city's African-American residents before Officer Darren Wilson shot and killed Michael Brown last year.

"It's not difficult to imagine how a single tragic incident set off the city of Ferguson like a powder keg," Holder said.

He pointed to the use of excessive force overwhelmingly against African-American residents, noting that only African-Americans were bit by police dogs, and said "no alternative explanation" except racial bias exists to explain it.

Holder also said Ferguson's police department violated residents' First Amendment rights to record the activities of officers, regularly conducted illegal searches and unlawfully detained citizens and competed with each other to "see who can issue the largest number of citations in a single stop."

He said the city's municipal courts and local government "relies on the police force to serve essentially as a collection agency."

Here are 10 of the most striking examples cited in the scathing 102-page Justice Department report:

1. Unlawful arrest has long-term consequences

Summer of 2012. A 32-year-old African-American was cooling off in his car after a basketball game in a public park.

What comes next is a series of civil rights violations described in the Justice Department report that resulted in the man losing his job as a federal contractor.

A Ferguson police officer demands the man's Social Security number and identification before accusing him of being a pedophile and ordering the man out of his car.

When the officer asked to search the man's car, the 32-year-old refused, invoking his constitutional right.

The response? The officer arrested the man at gunpoint, slapped him with eight charges, including for not wearing a seat belt, despite the fact that he was sitting in a parked car. The officer also cited him for "making a false declaration" because he gave his name as 'Mike' instead of 'Michael.'

"The man told us that, because of these charges, he lost his job as a contractor with the federal government that he had held for years," the report says.

2. People? More like, "sources of revenue"

The Justice Department also revealed that driving the uneven hand of the law in Ferguson was "the city's emphasis on revenue generation."

City officials repeatedly pushed the Ferguson police department to increase city revenue through ticketing, resulting in disproportionate targeting of African-Americans.

"Many officers appear to see some residents, especially those who live in Ferguson's predominantly African-American neighborhoods, less as constituents to be protected than as potential offenders and sources of revenue," the probe concluded.

African-Americans were disproportionately targeted by those practices, ticketed and cited for minor violations at a higher rate than white residents.

And African-Americans were almost exclusively on the receiving end of some violations: They accounted for 95% of "manner of walking in roadway" charges and 94% of "failure to comply" charges, for example.

3. Racist emails

Ferguson's police officers and city court officials' practices didn't just happen to disproportionately target African-Americans.

"Rather, our investigation has revealed that these disparities occur, at least in part, because of unlawful bias against and stereotypes about African-Americans," the investigators concluded.

Part of that bias came across in emails shared around by police and court officials:

A November 2008 email read in part that President Barack Obama wouldn't likely be president for long because "what black man holds a steady job for four years." And then in April 2011, another email depicted Obama as a chimpanzee.
    Another email joked that African-American women should use abortion to control crime.

May 2011 email: "An African-American woman in New Orleans was admitted into the hospital for a pregnancy termination. Two weeks later she received a check for $3,000. She phoned the hospital to ask who it was from. The hospital said: 'Crimestoppers.'"
    A March 2010 email mockingly read: "I be so glad that dis be my last child support payment!" Month after month, year after year, all dose payments!"
    October 2011: An email included a photo of a group of topless, dancing black women, seemingly in Africa, with the caption: "Michelle Obama's High School Reunion."

A December 2011 email included jokes playing on offensive Muslim stereotypes
    "Our investigation has not revealed any indication that any officer or court clerk engaged in these communications was ever disciplined," the report reads.

All those who sent the emails are current Ferguson city officials.

READ: Justice Department announces Darren Wilson will not be charged

4. Didn't pay that parking ticket? Here's your arrest warrant

The Justice Department probe revealed racial discrimination by the police department, but also by the municipal court.

The city court issued more than 9,000 arrest warrants stemming from minor violations like parking and traffic tickets.

The city wasn't just focused on revenue through tickets, but the fines associated with late payment of fines and additional arrest fees, according to the report.

The investigators spoke with one woman who is still dealing with the repercussions of a 2007 parking violation.

More than seven years later, she's now been arrested twice because of the parking violation and has already paid $550 in fees stemming from the parking violation.

She still owes $541 ... on a ticket that originally amounted to a $151 fine.

"The woman, who experienced financial difficulties and periods of homelessness over several years, was charged with seven Failure to Appear offenses for missing court dates or fine payments on her parking tickets between 2007 and 2010," the report says.

5. Use of force

The Ferguson Police Department recorded 151 instances in which officers used force, documents that provide a litany of evidence of excessive use of force.

"Our finding that FPD force is routinely unreasonable and sometimes clearly punitive is drawn largely from FPD's documentation; that is, from officers' own words," the Justice Department explained.

The federal investigation based on those reports revealed that officers are "quick to escalate encounters with subjects they perceive to be disobeying their orders or arrest."

"They have come to rely on ECWs, specifically Tasers, where less force -- or not force at all -- would do," the report explains.

The officers' use of force in some cases had "no basis in law" while others were simply "punitive and retaliatory."

"In addition, FPD records suggest a tendency to use unnecessary force against vulnerable groups such as people with mental health conditions or cognitive disabilities, and juvenile students," the investigators found.

Tasers, or "ECWs--an electroshock weapon that disrupts a person's muscle control"

"FPD officers seem to regard ECWs as an all-purpose tool bearing no risk." - DOJ report

The Justice Department described officers' use of ECWs as "swift, at times automatic" and shows several examples, such as:

A Ferguson correctional officer fired an ECW at an African-American woman because she yelled an insult at the officer and wouldn't go to her cell. She had been arrested for driving while intoxicated. The officer said he used the Taser because she was "not doing as she was told."
    And in September 2012, an officer stunned a handcuffed woman in the back of his squad car because she was using her legs to block him from closing the door.
    Dogs

"Canine officers use dogs out of proportion to the threat posed by the people they encounter, leaving serious puncture wounds to nonviolent offenders, some of them children." - DOJ report

Every single time Ferguson police officers released a dog to bite an individual involved an African-American, according to the department's records.

In one incident, a police officer released a dog on a 14-year-old African-American boy who was found hiding in the closet of an abandoned house, "curled up in a ball," according to the police report. After the boy wouldn't show his hands and after being warned, the police officer released the dog, which bit the boy's arm. The boy told federal investigators he never hid in a closet, was never warned the dog would be released and was just waiting for his friends at the house. He said he was bitten in the ankle, thigh and arm.
    In other incidents, the officers failed to warn suspects that they would release a dog.
    In another instance, an officer deployed a dog on a fleeing suspect even though he had just patted down the suspect and knew he was not armed. Officers are only supposed to release a canine officer if they fear for their life or believe the suspect may be armed.

6. Shocking stats

- Less than 8% of Ferguson police officers are African-American.

- African-Americans accounted for 90% of officers' use of force.

- African-Americans weren't just more likely to be stopped, but more likely to be cited and arrested regardless of the reason for the stop. And they were more likely to receive multiple citations during a single incident.

- African-American drivers were twice as likely as white drivers to be searched during traffic stops, but 26% less likely to be found in possession of contraband.

Eric Bradner contributed to this report.

12. dandorotik

That is what you call sending someone back to elementary school. Well done, JV.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Blaming those two NYC police officers getting murdered on the Ferguson protest is a chump move especially considering that incident happened after Garner was killed in NYC. Also the justice system should hold the heavy blunt of the blame because the perpetrator was a career criminal (probably mentally disturbed) and he shot his girlfriend earlier that day in Baltimore. He probably should have never been on the street in the 1st place.

I never thought those protest in Ferguson would amount to anything but apparently they did.

Lol... People don't know much at all about Dr King. They killed him for a reason and it wasn't because he had a dream of little white and black kids playing together.

14. dback816

dback816 Member

So you're okay with two police officers being murdered in the name of avenging Brown?

15. dandorotik

I mean, does any of this surprise you all? When I taught at Dulles High School in Sugarland back in the 1990s, I had several African-American students and we had some very frank discussions about how a lot of this takes place (being followed in department stores, being stopped by police for walking home from school, etc.). You'd have to really have your head in the sand to not know this stuff goes on. But the more it's brought to light, the more we can hopefully chip away at this problem.

16. HamJam

No, I'm not okay with it. But I am not going to tell millions of people to put up with mistreatment (including being killed and unjustly imprisoned) just in case their expression of anger might lead to someone dying.

You should be blaming the police and justice system for creating a situation where people can't help but get angry, not the people that are justifiably angry.

17. HamJam

#57 HamJam, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  18. bigtexxx

I stopped reading there. Come on -- let's be real. You don't think Brinsley was influenced by the rioters and the other protests -- all over an officer who, despite intense scrutiny -- will face no charges? Read his social media posts. You're totally wrong.

19. HamJam

Hey texxx, what about Amanda and Jerad Miller, the two people inspired by Ron Paul, the Tea Party movement, Alex Jones and Freedomworks, who killed the police in Las Vegas?

Does this mean that the Tea Party and Libertarian movements are to blame for those dead cops?

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Unless you're a cop in Ferguson of course.