1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What you (tried) to point out is that they overrate QBs more - and then promptly led yourself right into a brick wall because you didn't stop to count up how often the "overrated" elite QBs are actually making the Super Bowl in relation to the non-elite QBs.

QB is the single most vital position in football; yes, the general public routinely misappropriates importance at the expense of the 21 other positions. But to argue that the position itself is overrated is nearly impossible.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the problem a lot of people have is that this is a Patriots type move and even though they claim to hate the "good ole boy" style the team had in the past, keeping people well past their prime to the detriment of the team, they really like it deep down.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize that saying something is "overrated" doesn't mean it's not valuable right? QB is a valuable position, and I never suggested otherwise, it's just nowhere near as valuable as the average football fan or talking head suggest that it is.

4. Hey Now!

That would actually make me extremely happy; I'd much rather the Colts waste cash on an aging WR than spend that money on Murray, Cobb, OL......

5. Hey Now!

It's the most valuable/critical position in football. It's nearly impossible to overrate. I agree some of the exploits of QBs tend to get overrated. But you *have* to have a very good one to win consistently in the NFL.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say "nearly impossible" but people certainly found a way. Colin Kaepernick is a terrible QB and the niners have won consistently with him.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I said Belichick was good wihtout Brady but facts are 0 SBs as HC without Brady. Same as our very own B'OB.

In the NFL, an elite QB trumps all!!!

8. Hey Now!

"Consistently" equals two years - a year removed, btw - in your world? You're going to put that up against Manning/Brady/Rodgers' brand of consistency? OK, have at it...

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I know y'all want to talk about other things and it can't be avoided, but can we please go back to bashing Rick Smith and O'Brien for not keeping Andre? :eek: PLEASE, gents?

Thanks. :cool:

10. showa13

showa13 Member

You don't need a great QB to win it all(see Ravens/Bucs) but it makes it so much easier when you do have one(Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Mannings, Wilson, Big Ben)

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Jim Harbaugh disagreed with you. Jim Harbaugh >>>>>>>>>> Bobby.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that's why he's not an NFL coach anymore.....

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I hope you dont really believe he can't get another nfl job

14. Hey Now!

I get where bobby is coming from, and I somewhat agree with him - people do overrate the *exploits* of QBs, often at the expense of the other 52 players (+ coaches). But I think he overreaches too often to make his point. This is a prime example; it's an intellectually dishonest comment. The 49ers have *not* consistently won with Colin Kaepernick. He's 2-1 in playoff appearances and they look poised to make it 2-2 this year. There's no consistency at all.

15. Remii

Remii Member

A couple of pages ago you said Nuk was an elite WR and now you're saying Nuk is set up to be an elite WR. Make your mind up dude. Plus two good WR's is better than one. But this year we will see if Nuk is a true legit #1 WR and can command the attention of the defense and keep 8 out the box without AJ on the field.

And AJ was willing to restructure his contract if traded last year... He just wasn't willing to do it for the Texans benefit.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The main point is that yes, an ELITE QB is the most influential/important/impactful/differnce-making player there can be. These guys should be paid 10-20x more than any other player on the roster.

The issue I have is too many people consider so-and-so to be "elite"... when in fact they're just simply "good" and on the level with 10-20 other QB's in the league. There are also some QB's that jump to the "elite" level for 1-2 years, and then regress down.

So even rarer is the LONG-LASTING ELITE QB in this league.

Right now, you have Rodgers, Manning, and Brady as the clear-cut guys (and two of those guys have been doing it for over 15 years). Brees took a step back last year whereas Romo and Luck took a step forward. Of the three, its more likely the Luck gets into the top echelon with either Brady or Manning (or both) regressing. You also have Wilson, Rothlesberger and Rivers who are all very good, successful, pretty consistent, but just a tad below the top.

Then you have a smorgasbord of former high draft picks/highly paid guys that really should not be called "elite" simply because they are a starting QB that has success from time to time. Colin Kapernick, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco... and a host of others. Guys who make the playoffs, some even win Super Bowls, but aren't as good as the credit they get.

We desperately need a metric or rating that actually is able to separate an "elite" QB from just another starting QB.

17. Hey Now!

Hopkins' ascension is, essentially, step-for-step in line with AJ's; he was already better than Andre Johnson last year and is poised to take the next step in 2015.

Yeah? Which thriving NFL team has two good WRs?

It's an unecessary luxury.

If you honestly think Andre Johnson, singularly, is the reason teams don't stack 8 in the box... let's just shake hands and go our separate ways.

You're literally making things up. He never formally asked for a trade.

18. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

We will miss you Andre

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E41Pag5jrhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Remii

Remii Member

Yea, he was just holding out and bytchin last off season for no reason at all. Lol...

And we'll see if Nuk turns out to be an elite #1 WR like you proclaim he is or will be (whichever one you want to go with). I hope he turns out to be one though.

20. Hey Now!

He was holding out for an assurance he wouldn't be released in 2015, primarily because he didn't want to lose his non-guarnateed salary. Here's his agent confirming:
    You literally made-up not one but three lies - that he asked for a trade; that he communicated a willingness to renegotiate his contract to facilitate a trade; that he would not renegotiate with the Texans.

Find me one shred of evidence to back up any of your claims. Go ahead...

This is what happens when people don't truly understand what they're talking about: they get bogged down in meaningless labels. Who cares if he's elite (a designation that ultimately has no qualitative element)? He's a very good WR; that's all you generally need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.