1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA to release ref grades in close games

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 27, 2015.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

there are terrible decisions in football too and I don't watch hockey enough.

2. haydenfisher342

want transparency? Review plays that impact the game. Like a player getting multiple foul calls in a row taking that player out of the game. Or plays that show a change in momentum. A cp3 flop has cost so many teams momentum and games, that should be reviewed. Refs dont ref in the final 2 minutes anyway most of the time. I know what im proposing is in every game, and sometimes often, but who cares. Analytically I can gaurentee that the Rockets would benefit most from this change

3. SemisolidSnake

That's kind of what I was thinking. Besides, the worst thing the refs can do to change a game is to get a team into the penalty early in a quarter with ticky-tack foul calls which won't be covered by this. Still, I guess this is better than nothing and might lead to more transparency beyond this. Not holding my breath, though.

4. SemisolidSnake

Ok, we get to see last two minute reports for certain games. It's something I guess. But here's something that I think would be even better. After all the games of a past week have been completed (that's 50-60 games), a random number generator picks 3-4 games from that week and also picks random refs in the replay center to do full game reports based on the video from the chosen games. Nobody knows or can control which games are picked and which people are selected to review.

Those full games reports are released to the public when it's done. This is at least double-blind, and the selection is after the fact, so as a game ref, you don't know when you're going to be reviewed, and when you are reviewed, it's in full and by the public as well, not just the refs' association. Wonder if that might up the level of officiating across the board.

5. dlite316

dlite316 Member

this is another step moving towards legalization of gambling...

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There are in each sport. (But I have a particular hatred for NBA refs based on the fact that their actions directly result in points.) I just feel like it's a goofy statement for any sports' refs to make.

NHL is billed as the 'fastest sport on earth'. NFL has so many players on the field holding/pulling/pushing/cutting in the blink of an eye. They're all hard to referee. I have no sympathy for refs who suck for years on end.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

True. I don't buy "the NBA is the hardest sport to ref" excuse. Yes, it's hard, but so are some other sports.

That said, NBA is not the only sport that is heavily impacted by officiating. We all know how a pass interference call or non-call can make or break a game in football.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Pretty sure poorly officiated games are poorly officiated throughout all 4 quarters, not just in the last 2 minutes. Why go through this motion if you aren't going to be completely transparent?

9. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

So what? Media and fans will still not change the NBA since they do not care about opinions. The NBA is like the US, Russia and Korea since they try their best to maintain this self created image that they are the best, the most transparent, upholding high standards. In this case it's the NBA's self proclaimed "league with the best officiating crew in the world". The NBA is the true extension of America and how it portrays itself as the best, can't do no wrong, we don't have problems, psycho in the denial stage.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBA to use ref names alongside calls in play-by-play reports

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They need to give the refs the ability to review and reverse foul calls, and also review plays to check if there was a foul, if they find a foul they can call it. Of course only in the last 2 minutes in the game or so because we can't hold the whole game up with reviews. But if there is 1 minute left and the refs can clearly see there was a foul that should of been called on the replay center (like the Grizzles game with Randolph fouling Harden) they should damn well be able to call something.

13. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Hahaha how ironic the NBA is so transparent in their fake attempt to be transparent. Note to Silver and the other idiots in the league office: having a report and stating names is not being transparent. Punishing and investigating fishy refereeing is!

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Having an official record allows people to put out public referree stats.

15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

all in due time dummy. Its a process-- eventually this will lead there. Once people start complaining using these reports and names and statistics it will move the process along

Its like mar1juana reform

decriminalize
    legalize medical
    recreational

there is an order to things

This new commish is WAYYYYYYYY better than the old-- I feel the NBA is going in the correct direction from refs to potential playoff re-seeding to back to backs and the list goes on

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

Are they going to release a report for Game 2? I wonder if they will note the excessive contact on Harden in the last play