1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014-15 NHL Season Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dkamberi25, Oct 7, 2014.

1. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Two thirds of the way through the season and it is looking like Montreal and Tampa are the teams to beat in the east. The Isles are having a great season and are up their points wise, but I just can't see them knocking off either team in a 7 game series.

In the west things like always are much more open. I can point to Nashville, Anaheim, St Louis and Chicago as the frontrunners. That would be half of the field in the west.

As for my Avs. A bad start and inconsistent play once they regained form has put them in the position they are in now. Seven points out of the playoffs and looking up at multiple teams to find their way back. While they are playing better at the moment, they have been going back and forth for the past few months so I don't expect them to make a run here. Defense has been the biggest problem and needs to seriously addressed in the offseason. Offense has been too inconsistent but the talent is there.

2. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Just curious - I have Center Ice, but I know that doesn't include playoff games. Does NBC have the television rights for the playoffs this year? Who does? Google seems to be failing me, or else I'm just a moron.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yes NBC does.

Usually the games are on NBCSN, CNBC, NBC, or NHL Network. Sometimes also MSNBC. 1st round of the playoffs, the local broadcasts of each team also get to broadcast the game, but you should be fine with NBC & NHL Network covering all playoff games.

4. Beavis Stiffler

It's down to the wire on this final weekend of the regular season.

Pittsburgh, Boston, and Ottawa are in a battle for the last 2 playoff spots in the East. Meanwhile in the West, the Winnipeg Jets can clinch their playoff spot with a win and Calgary could end the L.A. Kings' season tomorrow night.

5. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

If things stand as they are the series to watch in the first round for me will be St. Louis v Minnesota. These teams are almost mirror images of one another which leads me to believe they will go 7 in what I expect to be the most physical series of the 1st round.

At the beginning of the season I thought this would be the season where all the extra games Boston, Chicago and LA have played over the past 5 seasons will catch up to them. LA needs a miracle to make the playoffs and Boston is 50/50 at this point to get in. Chicago will be there but a tough series against Nashville looking like there 1st round match up and if they were to win that series a 2nd round match up against either St. Louis or Minnesota leads me to think they won't go past the 2nd round.

6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

LA/Calgary tonight for what may well be a playoff berth.

Ottawa probably needs to win out. Despite being 21-4-4 since Feb, if they lose tonight that may be the end for them.

Fun season.

Stars were my big disappointment though nice to see Benn do so well. Flames were the big surprise (so far). Sharks also bombed out -- but I wasn't really rooting for them ;). I wasn't too surprised by the Colorado slip -- just don't have the confidence in Roy as a long term coach.

In the East -- didn't expect Montreal to do so well...or the Rangers to repeat as Pres Cup winners.

Stanley Cup and NBA playoff time....

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I don't really like the Hawks do to much in the playoffs. Even if they end up playing Nashville who is struggling, the Hawks just don't have the offense really without Kane.

With Kane, I'd have to see how he plays, but I don't think he'll come back before it's probably too late.

Anaheim/St. Louis/Minnesota are my western conference favorites. Interestingly enough I think Minnesota will probably either play Anaheim or St. Louis most likely.

In the East, I like 3 teams. The Rangers, Habs, and Lightning. My sleeper would be the Capitals.

Hard to really predict in the NHL because anything can happen much like baseball, but it'll be hard to take some of these teams out, especially a team like the Rangers.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

In the west:

The Ducks have the easiest path to the conference finals, playing the Jets, and then Canucks/Flames. Minny (or Chicago/St L/ Nash) will have a tougher time. I think any one of those 4 could make it through. My gut says Chicago. And I pick them to win against the Ducks.

In the east:

Bracket is still being set....but, much as I hate to cheer a NY team, I do like the Rangers. Habs if Price plays like he's being playing all season.

9. Beavis Stiffler

It's all up to Les, if he's interested in bringing a team here.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/04/study-houston-considered-best-market-to-add-an-nhl-team/#29954101=0

10. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

NHL Playoffs days away, interesting with the Kings , Bruins , Sharks missing playoffs this year.