1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have the 4th best record in the NBA, and they aren't even clicking yet..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Feb 24, 2015.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, I do not think so. We are not talented enough to win it all.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Pretty much sums it up.

3. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

Haha thank you for this

4. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

if this team had previously had recent playoff success, the feeling wouldn't be so negative. We're all worried about a first round exit.

The reality is that if healthy, we have a good shot to beat any team except GSW and LAC, and even then I don't think it's impossible or anything.

5. cbk41

cbk41 Member

How exactly is identifying the 4th best record in the league being a homer? Thats something you look up on NBA.com but your anti-rockets glasses seem to love to distort facts.

We may very well get bounced in round 1 but we are a 3rd seed. Get over it?

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The reasons to me why I think point differential is not indicative of this team's potential:

1. Dwight hasn't been here for the vast majority of the season, and when he has been, he hasn't been himself. If he comes back, even as a defensive anchor, you'll see that number go up.

2. Every team has low margins of victory against the contenders, as we have. In fact, our record against contenders is likely right in the middle of the pack. We are acquitting ourselves well against the non-GSW non-LAC playoff teams out there.

3. Our real problem is that we aren't blowing out the cupcake teams by 20-40 the way teams like GSW and DAL are consistently doing. What does that mean? A lot to the analytics people out there, and nothing to me. You're not playing the Timberwolves in the playoffs and spotting them 20 points.

Sometimes I feel like the Steve Kerr's and Rick Carlisle's out there show no mercy to bottom-feeders because they want to maximize their team's stats when it comes to the analytics game. Maybe it has some side benefits like giving your team more confidence when it really goes up against the big boys. But coaches like Greg Popovich and Kevin McHale couldn't give a s*** about it. They use those games as chances for the back of the rotation guys to cut their teeth. (Hence all the blowout games where our scrubs got outscored by 10-15pts in the 4th quarter alone.) The major difference btw McHale and Popovich is that Popovich still holds his bench to a very high standard of play. McHale doesn't really care, he just wants Clint Capella to get over his jitters.

7. baubo

baubo Member

The only team in the west with higher strength of schedule until now than the Rockets have been the Clippers. We will have one of the easier closing schedules in the west. The whole "we haven't played anyone" hasn't been relevant for over a month now.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

9. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

It's all about match ups in the playoffs. As long as long as we don't get Clippers then I think we'll be fine. Rockets is currently 3rd in the West which is great when you factor in the injuries. They maybe doing something right then - yes?? Let's support our team. Stop being overcritical. They're obviously not perfect but they're winning. Go Rockets!

10. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

McHale should start having his players practice the mid-range from now until the Playoffs. When the opposition closes in on the 3-pointer, the Rockets can adjust suddenly, adding the 12-15 jumper in their arsenal.

Just once, I'd like to take the other team by surprise... No way in hell it's happening, I know.

11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

We haven't, people don't understand we get our real starting line up back when Dwight gets back. We get to move DMO to the bench group. Dwight being hurt and allowing DMO to play in the starting line up was a blessing for this season.

12. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

This, but my God you read the other post on this forums. You would think most are just Dallas or GSW fans posing as Roxs fans.

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

With 20ish games left I highly doubt your going to see very much improvement. We really just need Ariza and Bev to play D shoot less and when they do shoot make the same shot.

Simple right ?

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Agree with OP. Some other teams are going to gel too though.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

what Harden has managed to do is nothing short of amazing. Sadly, in the playoffs the dude is going to have to be Jordan for us to have a good chance.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Temporarily facts. This sits wrong with me. There's still plenty of season left and we just going to write it in stone. And then act very naive with," uhh... are we doing fine guys". Cleverly disguised make me feel thread. People trying to feel accomplished and then here come and prove my point by saying we may be very well bounced off the first round.

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I feel like their best peak so far was the around the first Miami game. Defense was clicking, threes were falling, the team was generally healthy (Jones missed his first game in Miami) and Harden was beginning to show signs of being a true MVP. I remember feeling so proud of them in the Miami game in particular. We were firing on all cylinders.

If we can recapture that with this group of guys and a healthy Howard, we can really make noise in the playoffs.

I feel like this year every West team is so evenly matched that who ever gets something to swing their way will find themselves in the Finals.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It just shows how flawlessly James Harden has played this season.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

whats a bit alarming about that graphic is that the rockets have the lowest point differential (by a full point) out of the top 6 teams right now.

They were up there at the start of the season - of course point differential isn't the end all stat - it just means they've been in a lot of closer games. Somewhat expected considering the number of injuries they've had and the constant lineup juggling. Hopefully it just means they know what to do at the end during a close game (I mean its the same thing throughout the game -- give the ball to Harden)

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We might sneak it.

The issue is that GS, Atl and Mem are clearly on a tier above us, I'm not satisfied with 4th best record. We had the 5th best record last season too, 1st round exit.