1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Ariza is shooting 33.1% from three point range on 7.0 attempts per game this season.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Feb 23, 2015.

1. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..

In his first Houston stint and at NO, he was shooting 30% - 33% from deep. This spiked up to 36% and 40% last year with the Wizards. Is he undergoing a reversion to the mean?

Ariza is shooting an eyepopping 7 three pointers per game, good for 4th in the league. Top five in 3PA is Matthews, Curry, Lillard, Ariza, and Harden (all notably better 3 point shooters vs. Ariza).

IMO, a lot of his struggles comes from poor spacing. When Beverley is struggling from deep, defenders cheat off of him and can play him much closer. He's also missing the fast break drive and kickouts to the corner from John Wall, which was a key play on offense for the Wizards last year.

In his defense, Ariza is 4th in steals. And from an eye test, he is incredibly important to our defensive abilities.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have a hard time believing this isn't being actively discussed in another thread!

But instead of just being thread police, I'll also say this...
    I believed that his crappy shooting was due to fatigue. With the Brewer pickup (and now McDaniels), I expected improvement in shooting percentage. ... Now I don't know what the excuse is.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Math lesson: This is exactly the same as shooting 50.1% on 2 pointers!

1 person likes this.
  4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Meh at least he isnt as bad as Bev, he is the one truly hurting the team

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We won't make a peep in the playoffs with Ariza and Bev both shooting the way they are. At least one of them have to seriously improve.

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

He's very underrated even on this forum defensively.

But boy, he has been brutally unwatchable on offense for months upon months with no end in sight.

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

8. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

I think it has to do with not having a secondary playmaker. The wizards have wall and beal to break down the defense, and then swing to shooters.

It's a lot easier for the defense to run out at shooters when there isn't the threat of penetrating by anyone buy harden.

Earlier in the season when canaan was playing, ariza had a lot more open looks and knocked them down. Now defenders are more in his face (and bevs) and understandably their shootings % has gone down.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Has to do with not having a secondary playmaker and the offensive scheme being a joke.

11. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Agreed. I thought Canaan should have been featured more. Some of our best play in terms of tempo, spacing, and offensive efficiency was early in the season when Beverley was injured and Canaan was getting big minutes.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He doesn't even make 50% of his layups!

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Splits, by month:

3point %
    October: 60%
    Novemebr: 33%
    December: 28%
    January: 34%
    February: 37%

TS%
    October: 83%
    Novemebr: 50%
    December: 46%
    January: 52%
    February: 54%

He's turned around, it's just that the stink of December is so fresh for us all still that every missed shot feels like that.

2 people like this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's a glimmer of good news. Thanks for sharing.

15. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

7 FGA per game is the problem.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hence why KJ McDaniels was traded for. Not necessarily for this season, but Morey isn't dumb enough to think that the Rockets are going to be unbeatable with such major holes flaws in their starting lineup.

My guess is McDaniels is a project for sure, but a project that they have hopes of improving enough offensively to be close to as good as Ariza is defensively with major upgrades on the other end. He's already pretty close defensively already... offensively it shouldn't really take much to get to where Ariza is... you'd think.

Also the hope will be they can secure him to a better contract than Ariza so they can move Ariza out at some point after this Summer to free up more cap space for 2016.

The PG spot, and Patrick Beverley makes me more depressed about the future of that spot on this team moving forward. He's becoming vastly overrated defensively, and a major liability on the offensive end who you don't even have to guard from 3. His major asset is his attitude and ability to grab an offensive rebound or two that he shouldn't have.

I can't for the life of me begin to explain how much we have riding on Pablo freaking Prigioni for this final stretch of the season. Listen to what I just said and realize how depressing that sounds.

17. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

We probably were running him into the ground in the first couple months, hopefully KJ,can help both Ariza and brewer find better form,but I feel Ariza will catch fire during the playoffs.

18. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

His three point bricks go along with the theme of his midrange and layup bricks

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

If you're going to hand out math lessons, at least be correct. 49.65%

1 person likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the most frustrating thing about his 3pt shooting imo, is how inconsistent and streaky he is even within games. literally from quarter to quarter, you never know what you're going to get from him.

and as an aside, he is the worst fast break player i have ever seen. his passing and finishing on the break are simply atrocious.