1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smith, Brewer and McDaniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PullUpJ, Feb 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Very interesting thread...but none of us can foresee what opportunities might be available to the team after this season. Certainly, PG is a prime focus for upgrade next off season....and assets may be required to address that focus.

Its clear that coach McHale loves Brewer and obviously DM also does because he has targeted Brew to get on the team for a long time. I can't see them allowing him to walk unless a big opportunity comes along.

Smith has really improved his standing while D12 has been out...before that I would have said let him walk...but now not so much.

Who knows about KJ? Time will tell...but we have two excellent assets in RGV that will be in the equation next season in Capella and Nick. I could see both cracking the rotation and if that develops, that would also affect how the rest of the roster plays out.

It will be another very interesting off season.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Did we trade Canaan to clear up cap space for the summer? It wouldn't make sense to include a 2nd round pick if we don't intend to utilize McDaniels.

3. okeezie

okeezie Member

Morey already said KJ was coming back. Go read his quotes.

1 person likes this.
  4. okeezie

okeezie Member

Morey traded Canaan and a 2nd round pick for KJ. Then said he has been trying to get KJ since the draft. Then he said KJ is coming back next year. He doesn't give up 2 assets to let the guy walk. Act like you know Morey please.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This is basically what I stated on page one ....

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

as much as i like smith, he is definitely the odd man out if he looking at over others. Jones is basically a younger smith with a cheaper contract.

that being said, is smith wants to be here then it will be settled. i don't see why we would have traded for mcdaniels if we didn't intend to sign him in the off-season. dudes a high potential 3-d guy for a cheap 2-3 contract.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Its in the $5m range. Most of this seasons MLE was used to sign KPap. ($4.797m) I think the rest was used to sign Capela ($1.189m). Could be wrong about Capela be if my memory doesn't fail me that was where it was used.

Canaan was only due $947k next season & it was a team option.

So it makes no sense if it was simply for cap purposes when they could simply decline the option and have the cap space.

When you realize that , its pretty obvious that Morey made the deal based upon potential ... TWill V2.0 accept this time it didn't cost him a first round pick.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is a good thread and a question I had been wanting to know. I feel Brewer is essential for our bench unit. And Morey wouldn't trade assets to get KJ to just let him walk. So where does that leave Smith? Thankfully Detroit is still paying his contract so perhaps he likes the FIT in Houston and stays on for a small part of the MLE.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think Smith will sign for cheap. Some stupid GM will offer him a fat contract.

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

i think we will try to keep all 3. Convince smith to take the min. Match offers for KJ. And Brewer, I hope we give him at least the MLE.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

What about if we let Pap walk? Frees up $4 mil.

12. Convictedstupid

Anyone else think Brewer doesn't opt out? I bet he gets a bigger contract if he waits until next summer with the new tv money added to the cap.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

brewer walks (we can't match an Ariza type deal and that's what he'll be offered)

Smith walks (why pay him when dmo and Jones are playing well for cheaper?)

KJ comes back (we don't make that deadline trade without being confident we can bring him back

Wish we had the cap room to go after Draymond Green!

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He has already opted out, as per BimaThug, who is extremely reliable in his reports.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Since the Rockets have Brewers "Early Bird Rights" they can offer him up to $8.225m (175% current salary $4.702m) while going over the cap to do so.

So if they want Brewer , they'll have him.

The only real question is if the MLE is enough to keep both Smith and McDaniels. If not who stays ?!

16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

That would be so depressing. And I can't see it happen. People can be critical of Morey, but if there is one thing noone can argue with, it's his ability to work the salary cap.

Morey traded for KJ because he wants to keep him (unless his time here makes it clear, that he is a scrub). With the role Smith and Brewer are playing, he will probably try to keep them somehow. Smith could be a little cheaper since Detroit is paying him - who knows.

Brewer might be the odd one out - he might be too expensive to our liking and it seems like we've already traded for a player, that could be his replacement.

So I fully expect us to at least get 2 of those 3 back. But I'd really appreciate some cap guru on here (Bima?) explain the possibilities in that situation...

17. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Is there a chance josh could stay for cheap? Won't his det salary offset any other contract he gets?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Josh Smith isn't staying for anything less than the full MLE. He's gonna get other offers, probably offers bigger than ours, but I doubt anybody gives him a huge contract. I'll bet he's willing to take a discount to stay here, but not a huge one.

Since going to the bench he has been great, even at the MLE he's a great player to have as long as he is happy with his current role. I think Jones or D-mo will be moved in the offseason.

I also think Brewer comes back and McDaniels does as well unless some team gives him a significant contract, which I don't see happening.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I can't see all 3 coming back, but I don't know why the Rockets would resign Brewer AND McDaniels. They're redundant. Unless they plan on trading Ariza, and I don't see that happening either(at least not until after next season).

As for who is likely to return, obviously Smith has to be the top priority. He's been a fantastic addition for the Rockets. And he makes T-Jones somewhat expendable which opens up more trade opportunities for Morey. In terms of what it'll take to get him back, probably the MLE. He's not gonna sign another 2 mil/yr contract when odds are someone else out there will offer him way more.

Brewer is a guy I'd love to have back. My only concern is whether the Rockets can afford him and more important want to pay him. Resigning him and Smith would significantly impact their "flexibility"(cap experts correct me if I'm wrong) going forward. I have a bad feeling Morey will value that over hanging onto Brewer.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I doubt it unless Smith continues to prove he has learned his limitations. Anyways, didnt someone provide info that Smith wipl only be making 1.5 mil more if he signed for say 5 mil instead of vet min? There was some rule that i didnt understand enough but basically made it sound like Josh doesnt get as much as it appears for signing a larger contract.